Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Windows Media Player Question/Problem - Help  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Mark

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Windows Media Player Question/Problem - Help
« on: February 17, 2005, 06:46:42 AM »
My version of Windows Media Player (proper for my version of Windows) only plays when a .mpg or any file type is lauched from the HDD.  If I click on a movie link online, Media Player lauches, but will not play.  It basically locks up where I have to Ctrl,Alt,Del to fix the problem.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Media Player, and no go.  Any idea as to how I can fix this so that when I click on links, it will work?  Not sure what the problem is, so anyone in Comp. Sci or IT, or PC Guru's that can help, please reply if you have time.  Thank you.

Mark

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
Re: Windows Media Player Question/Problem - Help
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 01:37:11 PM »
My version of Windows Media Player (proper for my version of Windows) only plays when a .mpg or any file type is lauched from the HDD.  If I click on a movie link online, Media Player lauches, but will not play.  It basically locks up where I have to Ctrl,Alt,Del to fix the problem.  I uninstalled and reinstalled Media Player, and no go.  Any idea as to how I can fix this so that when I click on links, it will work?  Not sure what the problem is, so anyone in Comp. Sci or IT, or PC Guru's that can help, please reply if you have time.  Thank you.

Mark

I've seen this on XP when you aren't logged in as an administrator. Does your account have admin right to the local machine? If you can, try that. Good luck.
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline Mark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 02:21:19 PM »
Unfortunately that isn't my case.  I am running Windows ME and no admin.  Full priveledge upon boot up.  +T for the reply.

Offline chase

• Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 03:01:50 PM »
well, windows ME, there's your first problem.  specifically what types of movies are you trying to play online?  my guess is that you dont have the proper codecs to play the movie.

Offline Mark

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 06:55:40 AM »
I do plan on upgrading to XP, but the Media Player once worked flawlessly.  Not sure what caused this to suddenly occur.  I would have to say the most common files I am trying to play are .mpg or .wmv.  It will play them if I lauch them from the HDD (if I saved them) but not from the net.

Offline chase

• Taperssection Member
    • Etree List
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 08:34:54 AM »
are you using IE as your browser?  if so i would...

1. download Adaware SE and Spybot Search and Destroy from download.com

2. update both and scan

3. make sure that you have a firewall installed

4. do a virus scan using housecall.trendmicro.com if you don't have antivirus software installed

5. download Mozilla Firefox from mozilla.org

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com