Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Seemingly Affordable Multi Pattern LD mic  (Read 6386 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Seemingly Affordable Multi Pattern LD mic
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2005, 10:54:24 AM »
seriously guys...The guy had a question...

well then thank fucking god you showed up
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2005, 03:35:37 PM »
Your welcome! :D
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2005, 03:51:50 PM »
seriously guys...The guy had a question...

well then thank fucking god you showed up

tim.  i just snarfed my milk.  holy crap.  haven't done that all out since high school.  + f'ing T
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2005, 12:49:41 AM »
Discuss

I think if you're going to pick mics not based on sound but on written information, you'd learn a lot more from polar diagrams at various frequencies combined with the frequency response graph than you would from the above info. ymmv.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2005, 01:24:02 AM »
Well o-dog.  After I wrote my comments about the Rude mic.....I thought about reposting and backing off a bit, but it didn't seem worth it since the following posts snarfed at what I said.......but hey I guess you'll have that and I didn't take it personally..I was just trying to give the origanl post some form of info.  But Getting back to you question and the post talking about the one spec.......your right it is a bit one sided on a particular spec........But as I said I didn't hear the Rude mic so I should reserve some judgement.  After all its how something sounds to a person that matters.  What might sound great to me may sound like shit to someone else.  I stand corrected...on that.....But personally, I do Look at self noise as one of the factors in choosing a mic.  But then again in a live recording situation such as concert taping your not going to hear that noise because of other factors.  Acoustics have a lot to play in how a recoding sounds, location of the mics, who's mixing and from where, so on so on so on....  My taste in mics tend toward the viena style bright sounding mics like the AKG and MBHO's of the world.  As for your examples you did choose some very good mics....I am familar with many of the mic specs you chose
( Yes I am a GEEK).....I can only give my opinion on what I think the mics you chose sound like.......In example 1 your talking about the Studio project C3 mic.  Althought I have not heard that particular mic I believe that the capsules in that mic are used in their LSD2 stereo mic.  Now I like the sound of this mic, its on the bright side, atleast in the recording or two I have heard, I know I contradict myself because this mic has a self noise of 18db, which to me is high.  I wouldn't call it stellar but a good strater mic.  In example 2 you picked a neumman U87.  This is a classic.....This mic is probably the most used studio mic in history.  Since its release it has been used on almost every vocal track defining the sixties and seventies and up to the present.  However, I don't like this mic in a concert recording setting.  It tends to be too dark for my taste and the promimity affect is huge when used at a distant with this mic.  I prefer the U89 but only up close, FOB or stage lip.  I know they are similar but there is just something about the U87 I don't like.  In example 3 your talking about the DPA4023, again a good mic and a lot of people go to this mic for concert recording.  Again I am not crazy about this mic.  It is a very flat liniar mic.  Agian prone to a lot of proximity affect.  I often find myself sweetin the high end when I come across this mic. on a recording.  But a lot of people like this mic.  In example 4 your talking about the ADKtl's.  I remember when ADK came out and no one knew about them.  This was a mic I almost bought, but since I hadn't heard one and wasn't will to be a ginnypig I passed.  But this mic has hit big in the taping community, I don't know That I would call it a AKG killer but it sound good for the most part on the recordings I have heard.  As for spec 5 I have never heard this mic but I know that its a Blue Dragon fly.....I like the spec on this mic and Have been dying to hear a pair but its not one that I have come across in the taping circles.  I find it would be hard to use outside due to "what the hell kind of wind screeen can you put on this thing factor", but I am curious.
As for what Todd R stated diagrams are a big help as well.  I find myslef looking a lot for a bump in the high end of the frequency response curve to counter the proximity affect most cardiods have.  A bump of 3 to 6 db around 9k is what my ears like the most, but again in the type of recording I do (concerts) there are a lot of factors as stated above.   Technique also has something to do with how a mic will sound in a recording, AB, XY, DIN, ORTF, NOS.......
SO I guess YOu nailed me, using one spec (noise)is not always a good idea in choosing a mic, it just happens to be a starting point for me,  followed by frequency response, dynamic range and SPL.....But the best way to choose a mic is to patch,  get the different flavors out there and there are a lot.........But I am still leary of a company that doesn't make full disclosure on specs.........Maybe a Rude sounds great, maybe not, but they haven't giving me enough information to explore it further and drop cash on it so I will let someone else do it and wait...... again the above is merely my opinion agree if you want and If you don't thats cool too........Taping is fun for me and thats why I do it...........when its no longer fun I'll stop and do something else............expand if you want 8)
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2005, 01:27:34 AM »
OH Duh, I forgot to pic a mic, Just from your list I gues the ADK tl's .................But I would rather a MBHO or AKG!
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2005, 11:45:39 AM »
Nah, I wasn't offended......When I went looking for mics, believe me I went looking for mics.  I must of downloaded every spec sheet I could find, studied them, priced them out, before I bought a pair.  the whole process took about a year....I was going to drop about 3.5k on recording gear I wanted to know what I was buying..  It sounds a little rediculous to take a year to shop around, but it was worth it....I learned a lot, and came out with a rig I am very happy with..... (MBHO648/Ka200>minime>M1)  Money is a huge issue when it comes to buying mics..and gear.  Where I have become concerned is the flooding of the market with the chinees mics.  A lot of people don't realize that there are about five factories that rebrand their capsules for companies.   And there are about 5 or 6 mic companies that I know of that all use the same chineese stock but claim to have a great new mic to offer.....only the cosmetics are different.....its all very deceptive.........................the only chineese companies that don't rebrand are SEE and 797 Audio/ studio project but the rest ugh...........its crazy...................But hey if you like the mic, you like it and thats all that matters...........I just want people to be more informed, thats all.  If your going to spend money on something dig as deep as you can to look for the info you want.
Don't take any of this as a knock....its not, I have heard some good recordings with the chineese mics, I just don't like all the deception.................
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com