Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: VMS 5U/VMS 52UB vs Sonosax  (Read 5534 times)

Offline dlantelme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
VMS 5U/VMS 52UB vs Sonosax
« on: April 08, 2005, 02:12:36 PM »
I love the CCM4 pair I bought here last year (thanks ChuckieT) but the MP2 I'm using seems to be a poor match for them, according to the prevailing opinions expressed here. I must admit to thinking perhaps it's just a bit too warm in here, especially listening through my new Jolida integrated tube amp (and thanks again for the advice to check them out when I was considering used tube gear).
  The Sonosax seems to be the usual suggestion, which somewhat confuses me as it is also on the list of a stealth preamp which supplies warmth. Pretty scarce, too.
  there are Schoeps VMS preamps available, which seem to fit the bill regarding size and internal power, but I really have no idea of what it will sound like. also, they have fixed gain positions, and alot of my taping I'm going direct to my M1, and I lose the ability to balance and adjust levels. I could work an SBM1 into my rig, but when I've used it (stock) I didn't think it was a noticeable difference than without it, and buying and using one just to balance and adjust levels on it doesn't seem worth it, considering I'm trying to keep my profile low in the process.
 I do have a new UA5 for open taping, and don't want to try working anything that big(would love a V3, according to most of you- still haven't borrowed one to try it) into my stealth taping.
 so, fire away. your opinions are appreciated, and if could ticket you, I would.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 09:01:03 PM by dlantelme »
CCM4>SX-M2>UA5>M1

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: VMS 5U/VMS 52UB vs Sonosax
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005, 02:31:22 PM »
I can't really comment on the Schoeps pres as I have never used one. I can tell you though that while the sonosax is colored it isn't nearly as loose in the lowend as the mp2. It's got a pretty different sound that I have usually enjoyed with the schoeps.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

marc0789

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005, 04:26:01 PM »
I can't really comment on the Schoeps pres as I have never used one. I can tell you though that while the sonosax is colored it isn't nearly as loose in the lowend as the mp2. It's got a pretty different sound that I have usually enjoyed with the schoeps.

to me, the sx is the only non-transformer pre with some nice warmth to it. really like it. much more than the mp-2, which I actually like. But man, with that dark schoeps sound and strong low end, I can imagine that 4>mp-2 is a little loose and dark.

only ran a vms02ib once, and wasn't real impressed, but can't say much based on one 2 show run. thought it sounded a bit flat to me. sx definitely more adjustable than the vms though.

ccm4>sx>modsbm1 would sound great and of course be nice and small, I think.

Offline -sam

• Taperssection All-Star
  • that goes double for you buddy
    • slincoln.org
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2005, 12:31:47 AM »
so, fire away. your opions are appreciated

the VMS is a lot bigger than the sax so if you're looking for stealthy that might be worth considering.  I've run both and i think they both sound fine.

-sam

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2005, 12:53:43 AM »
schoeps cmc6>sax rawks man!

i bet ccm4>sax would sound just sboutthe same as cmc64>sax, so id say GO FOR IT!

some of my fav phish tapes were always cmc6/4,41>sax ;D
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2005, 02:31:40 PM »
I run MK4 > Sax and I love it :)
Retired Taper

Offline dlantelme

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 03:03:31 PM »
many thanks for the opinions, especially those with some experience with a VMS. How about the PSP-3, any users run with Schoeps and like/dislike the sound?     Doug
CCM4>SX-M2>UA5>M1

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 03:25:34 PM »
many thanks for the opinions, especially those with some experience with a VMS. How about the PSP-3, any users run with Schoeps and like/dislike the sound? Doug

geoff lynch ran mk41>psp3>mme at MANY phish shows and i also REALLY enjoyed those tapes, YMMV tho ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline dgale

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Los Lobos Tour Dates & Setlists
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 04:01:19 PM »
I only ran MK4's>VMS5U once at a LL show in LA in 2001 - remind me Doug and I'll burn you a copy and you can check it out...of course it's only one recording and so many factors affect recording quality that I'm not sure how much it will tell you but it's worth a listen.  I think we also recorded the Ozomatli opening set as well.  Come to think of it I just recieved the Crested Butte LL acoustic show from Ed Boardman and he ran two different sources at the show - one was MK41>actives>VMS5U>V3 hung from the ceiling (it's a very small venue) and the other was MK4>actives>VMS2ib>V3 from the lip of stage, so remind me on those as well and you can check them out. 

+T for being a stealthing machine and for wanting to bring your rig over from the dark and loose side.
http://loslobos.setlist.com/

Mics: SKM140, CM300/CP-1/CP-2/CP-4
Pre/AD: SD MP-2, AD2K+, MiniMe, SBM-1
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Motu Traveler, Korg MR-2, DA-P1, D8, D7, DTR-80P, D5, D6

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 11:31:19 AM »
if you can get the psp3 at a low price it's nice... otherwise it is pretty much just a beyer mv-100 (same chip set) with m/s capablities. it's an okay sounding box but I think it's overpriced.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline mhibbs

• Taperssection Member
  • it's all about the GA preamps
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 01:39:50 PM »
If you can find a psp2, it's a great paring w/ the Schoeps.
Oade preamp museum curator

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 09:41:48 PM »
I started out with mk4> kcy> vms5u, ran that for 2 or so years and thought I loved it. Then on a whim I bought a Sonosax because Ive loved every Schoeps> Sonosax tape Ive heard and found a good price on a used one... I sold the VMS within a few months and have no regrets. The VMS is a fine preamp and really nice since you can run without using the CMC bodies, option to do mid-side, AA batteries, but the Sonosax is smaller and sounds better to my ears. If you've already got the ccm4's I'd go for the Sonosax. Plus the VMS 5u isnt very stealthy except for the fact that you dont have the cmc bodies. Im pretty sure the other VMS pres are considerably smaller though (if you can find one).

Now I have a new dilema, I ran an Oade m148 this past weekend with my mk41's for the 1st time and Im having thoughts of selling the Sonosax for an Oade.
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline -sam

• Taperssection All-Star
  • that goes double for you buddy
    • slincoln.org
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 11:40:06 PM »
I agree, if you're looking for stealthy go with the Sax.

-sam

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 12:08:55 AM »
brian, i made a tape of nmas at the fox (incomplete, though, because tim and i were WASTED and fucked it up) with cmc641's > 148 > mod sbm-1 and it SMOKED!  if you can pick up the m148 and an sbm1 that's a great combo...

doug, i am not familiar with the ccm4's but the cmc6's sound great through a sonosax.
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline dlantelme

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2005, 03:11:22 AM »
So Brian, should I be looking for an M148 for you, so you can sell me your sax?
CCM4>SX-M2>UA5>M1

marc0789

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 09:31:44 AM »
brian, i made a tape of nmas at the fox (incomplete, though, because tim and i were WASTED and fucked it up) with cmc641's > 148 > mod sbm-1 and it SMOKED!  if you can pick up the m148 and an sbm1 that's a great combo...

doug, i am not familiar with the ccm4's but the cmc6's sound great through a sonosax.

I'll second that. can't imagine what would not sound good in front of m148>modsbm1.

Offline Tim

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 01:08:18 PM »
man, I ran schoeps/m148/modsbm1 a handful of times and those are some of my favorite tapes....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com