Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: splicing tracs  (Read 2524 times)

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
splicing tracs
« on: June 05, 2005, 01:04:10 PM »
i have one that is missing about the first min. or so and want to splice the missing part w/ a different source. i figured the waveforms would be similar and it wouldn't be too hard to match them up, boy was i wrong!  using sf7, is there a way to get the two synced up so i can hook them together, or would i just be better off tossing my song and just puting the other in it's place?  i'd still need to smoth out the transition, but between tracs is simple. i'd like to work on this when i get back home tonight, so any advice would be grately 'priciated.

thanks,        kirk
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: splicing tracs
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 02:43:05 PM »
I don't know of a way to do it in SF. I've always used a montage in wavelab for this task.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline blastroknow

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • you can fight about love all you want
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 05:24:30 PM »
experiment with the crossfade between the 2 sources - make sure they both have the same curve {actually straight would be best} - if they are really different sounding there isn't much you can do but by doing a longer crossfade it might smooth the transition so while still noticable it isn't as harsh and is more listenable
Core-sound HEB 4060s > iRiver h120
or
AT853 > AT8531 > ToddR mod SBM-1 > iRiver h120

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 05:31:36 PM »
Line up the two WAV files in a multitrack/montage editor, so they overlap like so:
                                     [----------track 1, primary source, missing first min-----]
[-----track 2 w/ first min intact----------]
Make sure the two tracks are time-aligned for the part that overlaps by picking an easily identifiable section of each waveform to line up.  Then, apply to the parts that overlap:  crossfade-in track 1, crossfade-out track 2.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 06:55:11 PM »
Line up the two WAV files in a multitrack/montage editor, so they overlap like so:
                                     [----------track 1, primary source, missing first min-----]
[-----track 2 w/ first min intact----------]
Make sure the two tracks are time-aligned for the part that overlaps by picking an easily identifiable section of each waveform to line up.  Then, apply to the parts that overlap:  crossfade-in track 1, crossfade-out track 2.

can't find anything like that in sound forge? here's a shot of the two lined up as best as i could.nothing i try works though. 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 07:16:42 PM »
can't find anything like that in sound forge? here's a shot of the two lined up as best as i could.nothing i try works though.

Okay, so they seem reasonably well lined up (tough to tell for sure without a closer zoom).  Not sure how SF lists crossfade - have you tried the Help file?  All the online references I see to Soundforge include the keyword "crossfade", so I suspect it's in there.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline admkrk

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2005, 07:36:00 PM »
yeah, went through it a couple of times. i might just be doing it wrong, but i can't get it to start at the begining. it always starts out were my tape cuts in, then starts playing both at the same time  ???.  maybe i'll just go w/ replacing the whole song, rather not though.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2005, 07:56:05 PM »
If you can "aquire" a copy of Wavelab or Vegas (I prefer Wavelab), you're task will be many times easier.

PM me if you have any more questions!

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com