Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Should i upgrade my rig?  (Read 7515 times)

Offline Normsreality

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Hayes Carll...busted my taping cherry!
Should i upgrade my rig?
« on: August 27, 2005, 09:18:42 PM »
I've been taping some local stuff and my own band for about 2 years or so with AT829s>Battery Box>Sony MZ-S1 MD lin-in. However I just bought a JB3 20gig and plan to start taping some bigger shows such as DMB, WSP, UM and so on.I made this decision after the DMB show from Atlanta this year wasn't taped, and I don't want that to happen again. I was just wondering if you guys think I should upgrade my Mics or antyhing else. My bat box has no features, ie. bass roll-off, and i'm almost positive i'm going to add a pre-amp. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help guys and gals.
Studio Projects C4s or Behringer B2 Pros>Canare Star Quads>Oade digi-mod UA5>optical>JB3/lappy

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Should i upgrade my rig?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 09:54:47 PM »
i would recommend an upgrade if you can to a ad-20 or somthing
it will allow you to go digi in on the jb3
and that would also allow you to adjust levels
plus give you better overall sound--at least mine did
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 09:57:41 PM »
To answer your question, ask another.   Are you happy with the tapes you make now?  Never mind that others have spent more on taping equipment than you did on your first 3 cars... together.   If you're happy with what you're making now, stick with it.  If you upgrade to try to keep with the Jones'es here, you'll become the next gear slut, and probably run yourself into some serious debt.   

Now if the answer to the second question is a no, then I'd try and figure out a budget for what you want to put into your taping rig.   Post that, and we can give you some suggestions...

Offline Normsreality

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 07:53:08 AM »
Well, it turns out that I was outbid on ebay last night for the JB3, so now my question has changed. What do you guys see at the next best thing for around the same amount of money(150-200)? Is there another HD recorder out there that is comparable? I know most if none will not have the optical input, but if you guys would, please throw out some suggestions. I know a guy that has taped a few shows with an Ipod, but there isn't too much info out there about IPod recording, ie. recording format. Any help would be great, or if you guys know anyone selling a JB3, hook me up.

As far as being happy with my current rig...yeah i'm happy with it, but I know i could make better recordings than I am now with some updated equipment, and i feel like i should upgrade if i'm going to tape more large-scale concerts. Lets put a budget of 500-600 dollars b/c i've got at least 4 months before my primary need rolls around. (that is if DMB does a winter tour)
Studio Projects C4s or Behringer B2 Pros>Canare Star Quads>Oade digi-mod UA5>optical>JB3/lappy

Ray76

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 08:16:05 AM »
Well, it turns out that I was outbid on ebay last night for the JB3, so now my question has changed. What do you guys see at the next best thing for around the same amount of money(150-200)? Is there another HD recorder out there that is comparable? I know most if none will not have the optical input, but if you guys would, please throw out some suggestions. I know a guy that has taped a few shows with an Ipod, but there isn't too much info out there about IPod recording, ie. recording format. Any help would be great, or if you guys know anyone selling a JB3, hook me up.

As far as being happy with my current rig...yeah i'm happy with it, but I know i could make better recordings than I am now with some updated equipment, and i feel like i should upgrade if i'm going to tape more large-scale concerts. Lets put a budget of 500-600 dollars b/c i've got at least 4 months before my primary need rolls around. (that is if DMB does a winter tour)

I think the jb3 is your best bet. It has proven reliable. The microtracker is on the horizon, but we dont know if it will be nice or a POS. the jb3 has treated most of us very well. you can find one occasionally here from 150-200 bucks. or on EBAY, where i see them all the time. Ipod I wouldnt really trust..and the Neuros and Archos have documented issues with diginoise.....the at mini mics are widely used here as well, and have produced some stellar tapes. look in the team at thread...SP sells their own versions of these either with the battery box or also with a kit to allow them to take 48v phantom power.(which really brings the power of the mics out) I think with your budget, you can get those mics and a jb3. www.soundprofessionals.com . they also offer a taperssection discount (just type in taperssection in the promotion code)

Offline Normsreality

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 08:27:55 AM »
I think the jb3 is your best bet. It has proven reliable. The microtracker is on the horizon, but we dont know if it will be nice or a POS. the jb3 has treated most of us very well. you can find one occasionally here from 150-200 bucks. or on EBAY, where i see them all the time. Ipod I wouldnt really trust..and the Neuros and Archos have documented issues with diginoise.....the at mini mics are widely used here as well, and have produced some stellar tapes. look in the team at thread...SP sells their own versions of these either with the battery box or also with a kit to allow them to take 48v phantom power.(which really brings the power of the mics out) I think with your budget, you can get those mics and a jb3. www.soundprofessionals.com . they also offer a taperssection discount (just type in taperssection in the promotion code)

Thanks for the info BigRay, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a JB3. I did some hunting this morning, and can't find a dang one under $400..that being the higher Gig ones, which i don't need and won't pay for.

Offline Normsreality

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 11:17:16 AM »
BigRay, I don't know how you found that. I swear I hunted all over ebay. Thanks for taking the time to help track one down...Above and Beyond the call of duty there bro. Current high bidder at 122.50!

Ray76

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 11:20:52 AM »
BigRay, I don't know how you found that. I swear I hunted all over ebay. Thanks for taking the time to help track one down...Above and Beyond the call of duty there bro. Current high bidder at 122.50!

I am a yard sale/ebay champion.  ;D

no problem man. none at all. ;) +T

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 11:48:22 AM »
I'd definitely recommend the jb3 to you as well, and I'm sure you'll be able to find one fairly cheap if you are patient.  Especially if the microtracker pans out, I have a feeling you'll see a lot of jb3's go up for sale.
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 01:56:38 PM »
The archos GEMNI has no issues when run line-in.  The issues Ray speaks of are only when using the digital-in and it's not diginoise but rather pops/clicks/misplaced samples.  I would not hesitate to use my Archos at line or mic-in in a stealth situation.  Fortunately, I don't stealth much and use it strictly as a wav player and portable hard disk and occasionally as a backup to my lappy taking the headphone out of my MiniMe. 

Ray76

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 02:19:12 PM »
The archos GEMNI has no issues when run line-in.  The issues Ray speaks of are only when using the digital-in and it's not diginoise but rather pops/clicks/misplaced samples.  I would not hesitate to use my Archos at line or mic-in in a stealth situation.  Fortunately, I don't stealth much and use it strictly as a wav player and portable hard disk and occasionally as a backup to my lappy taking the headphone out of my MiniMe. 

thanks for the clarification, and sorry if i put something erroneous out. :)

Offline Normsreality

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 08:39:21 AM »
Alright guys, one more question and I'll leave you alone for a while. What can I do to get the best possible pulls from a show? In other words, what should run between my mics and the JB3?(preamps and all that other stuff that I don't currently have) I'm working on a budget of about 500 dollars tops, so any suggestions would be great as well as general info.   Thanks again, you guys are great. Oh yeah, and what the heck do you guys recommend hauling all of this stuff around in and how do i keep at least the recorder protected from the drunk people?!

Ray76

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 09:57:58 AM »
Alright guys, one more question and I'll leave you alone for a while. What can I do to get the best possible pulls from a show? In other words, what should run between my mics and the JB3?(preamps and all that other stuff that I don't currently have) I'm working on a budget of about 500 dollars tops, so any suggestions would be great as well as general info.   Thanks again, you guys are great. Oh yeah, and what the heck do you guys recommend hauling all of this stuff around in and how do i keep at least the recorder protected from the drunk people?!

the search feature is your friend...look in the "where do I start" section as well. you will find more info that you will ever need there. youll have to poke around some, but the answers are there. this topic has been covered hundreds of times.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 08:09:27 PM »
jb3 for sure and if you can swing it a ua5 or an ad20 will make you pretty happy
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com