Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Should i upgrade my rig?  (Read 7516 times)

Offline Normsreality

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Hayes Carll...busted my taping cherry!
Should i upgrade my rig?
« on: August 27, 2005, 09:18:42 PM »
I've been taping some local stuff and my own band for about 2 years or so with AT829s>Battery Box>Sony MZ-S1 MD lin-in. However I just bought a JB3 20gig and plan to start taping some bigger shows such as DMB, WSP, UM and so on.I made this decision after the DMB show from Atlanta this year wasn't taped, and I don't want that to happen again. I was just wondering if you guys think I should upgrade my Mics or antyhing else. My bat box has no features, ie. bass roll-off, and i'm almost positive i'm going to add a pre-amp. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks for the help guys and gals.
Studio Projects C4s or Behringer B2 Pros>Canare Star Quads>Oade digi-mod UA5>optical>JB3/lappy

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Should i upgrade my rig?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 09:54:47 PM »
i would recommend an upgrade if you can to a ad-20 or somthing
it will allow you to go digi in on the jb3
and that would also allow you to adjust levels
plus give you better overall sound--at least mine did
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline dgodwin

• AT4041->Tascam DR-100mkiii
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2005, 09:57:41 PM »
To answer your question, ask another.   Are you happy with the tapes you make now?  Never mind that others have spent more on taping equipment than you did on your first 3 cars... together.   If you're happy with what you're making now, stick with it.  If you upgrade to try to keep with the Jones'es here, you'll become the next gear slut, and probably run yourself into some serious debt.   

Now if the answer to the second question is a no, then I'd try and figure out a budget for what you want to put into your taping rig.   Post that, and we can give you some suggestions...

Offline Normsreality

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 07:53:08 AM »
Well, it turns out that I was outbid on ebay last night for the JB3, so now my question has changed. What do you guys see at the next best thing for around the same amount of money(150-200)? Is there another HD recorder out there that is comparable? I know most if none will not have the optical input, but if you guys would, please throw out some suggestions. I know a guy that has taped a few shows with an Ipod, but there isn't too much info out there about IPod recording, ie. recording format. Any help would be great, or if you guys know anyone selling a JB3, hook me up.

As far as being happy with my current rig...yeah i'm happy with it, but I know i could make better recordings than I am now with some updated equipment, and i feel like i should upgrade if i'm going to tape more large-scale concerts. Lets put a budget of 500-600 dollars b/c i've got at least 4 months before my primary need rolls around. (that is if DMB does a winter tour)
Studio Projects C4s or Behringer B2 Pros>Canare Star Quads>Oade digi-mod UA5>optical>JB3/lappy

Ray76

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 08:16:05 AM »
Well, it turns out that I was outbid on ebay last night for the JB3, so now my question has changed. What do you guys see at the next best thing for around the same amount of money(150-200)? Is there another HD recorder out there that is comparable? I know most if none will not have the optical input, but if you guys would, please throw out some suggestions. I know a guy that has taped a few shows with an Ipod, but there isn't too much info out there about IPod recording, ie. recording format. Any help would be great, or if you guys know anyone selling a JB3, hook me up.

As far as being happy with my current rig...yeah i'm happy with it, but I know i could make better recordings than I am now with some updated equipment, and i feel like i should upgrade if i'm going to tape more large-scale concerts. Lets put a budget of 500-600 dollars b/c i've got at least 4 months before my primary need rolls around. (that is if DMB does a winter tour)

I think the jb3 is your best bet. It has proven reliable. The microtracker is on the horizon, but we dont know if it will be nice or a POS. the jb3 has treated most of us very well. you can find one occasionally here from 150-200 bucks. or on EBAY, where i see them all the time. Ipod I wouldnt really trust..and the Neuros and Archos have documented issues with diginoise.....the at mini mics are widely used here as well, and have produced some stellar tapes. look in the team at thread...SP sells their own versions of these either with the battery box or also with a kit to allow them to take 48v phantom power.(which really brings the power of the mics out) I think with your budget, you can get those mics and a jb3. www.soundprofessionals.com . they also offer a taperssection discount (just type in taperssection in the promotion code)

Offline Normsreality

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 08:27:55 AM »
I think the jb3 is your best bet. It has proven reliable. The microtracker is on the horizon, but we dont know if it will be nice or a POS. the jb3 has treated most of us very well. you can find one occasionally here from 150-200 bucks. or on EBAY, where i see them all the time. Ipod I wouldnt really trust..and the Neuros and Archos have documented issues with diginoise.....the at mini mics are widely used here as well, and have produced some stellar tapes. look in the team at thread...SP sells their own versions of these either with the battery box or also with a kit to allow them to take 48v phantom power.(which really brings the power of the mics out) I think with your budget, you can get those mics and a jb3. www.soundprofessionals.com . they also offer a taperssection discount (just type in taperssection in the promotion code)

Thanks for the info BigRay, I'll keep my eyes peeled for a JB3. I did some hunting this morning, and can't find a dang one under $400..that being the higher Gig ones, which i don't need and won't pay for.

Offline Normsreality

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 11:17:16 AM »
BigRay, I don't know how you found that. I swear I hunted all over ebay. Thanks for taking the time to help track one down...Above and Beyond the call of duty there bro. Current high bidder at 122.50!

Ray76

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 11:20:52 AM »
BigRay, I don't know how you found that. I swear I hunted all over ebay. Thanks for taking the time to help track one down...Above and Beyond the call of duty there bro. Current high bidder at 122.50!

I am a yard sale/ebay champion.  ;D

no problem man. none at all. ;) +T

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2005, 11:48:22 AM »
I'd definitely recommend the jb3 to you as well, and I'm sure you'll be able to find one fairly cheap if you are patient.  Especially if the microtracker pans out, I have a feeling you'll see a lot of jb3's go up for sale.
studio projects c4 > edirol ua-5 [digi mod] > Microtrack II

laying around: sp cmc-4, power supply and jb3

Offline rustoleum

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKG 481s->MiaGi IIs->MiniMe->MTII
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2005, 01:56:38 PM »
The archos GEMNI has no issues when run line-in.  The issues Ray speaks of are only when using the digital-in and it's not diginoise but rather pops/clicks/misplaced samples.  I would not hesitate to use my Archos at line or mic-in in a stealth situation.  Fortunately, I don't stealth much and use it strictly as a wav player and portable hard disk and occasionally as a backup to my lappy taking the headphone out of my MiniMe. 

Ray76

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2005, 02:19:12 PM »
The archos GEMNI has no issues when run line-in.  The issues Ray speaks of are only when using the digital-in and it's not diginoise but rather pops/clicks/misplaced samples.  I would not hesitate to use my Archos at line or mic-in in a stealth situation.  Fortunately, I don't stealth much and use it strictly as a wav player and portable hard disk and occasionally as a backup to my lappy taking the headphone out of my MiniMe. 

thanks for the clarification, and sorry if i put something erroneous out. :)

Offline Normsreality

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2005, 08:39:21 AM »
Alright guys, one more question and I'll leave you alone for a while. What can I do to get the best possible pulls from a show? In other words, what should run between my mics and the JB3?(preamps and all that other stuff that I don't currently have) I'm working on a budget of about 500 dollars tops, so any suggestions would be great as well as general info.   Thanks again, you guys are great. Oh yeah, and what the heck do you guys recommend hauling all of this stuff around in and how do i keep at least the recorder protected from the drunk people?!

Ray76

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2005, 09:57:58 AM »
Alright guys, one more question and I'll leave you alone for a while. What can I do to get the best possible pulls from a show? In other words, what should run between my mics and the JB3?(preamps and all that other stuff that I don't currently have) I'm working on a budget of about 500 dollars tops, so any suggestions would be great as well as general info.   Thanks again, you guys are great. Oh yeah, and what the heck do you guys recommend hauling all of this stuff around in and how do i keep at least the recorder protected from the drunk people?!

the search feature is your friend...look in the "where do I start" section as well. you will find more info that you will ever need there. youll have to poke around some, but the answers are there. this topic has been covered hundreds of times.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2005, 08:09:27 PM »
jb3 for sure and if you can swing it a ua5 or an ad20 will make you pretty happy
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2005, 08:55:40 PM »
i would put the most amount of money that you can into the mics which are the most important part in the recording chain
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 09:26:18 PM »
My advice:

get the AT's unmodded to accept phantom power, and get a UA-5.   I think that's the way you'd notice the best improvement.   If you have the mics phantom powered, you'll be able to handle a lot more frequencies at loud volumes before they clip.... the UA-5 will provide your phantom power and your analog to digital conversion, and go optical out into an NJB3.

Unmodded mics: prolly done for $100 or so?  (someone on the board can prolly do this for you....)
UA-5: used for $250 maybe?
NJB3:  might be able to get one for $150 or so?

The only other thing you'd need to do is get batteries for the UA-5, which can be done for about $40-$50.

I might be off on those prices, but I think they're pretty close.

That's my $.02 - please disregard if you intend to stealth tape.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Normsreality

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 05:41:50 AM »
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up as far as building my rig goes. I got my JB3 off of ebay for 150. I just came into some money so I'm going to upgrade my mics a bit and buy a preamp next week. This is what I'm thinking I'll end up with. 2 AKG C1000Ss>UA5>JB3. I may go with the SP-Preamp instead of the ua5, but then the issue becomes how to connect the 2 c1000s together into one 1/4 jack for the PreAmp. I know you guys are going to say to go with the UA5, but I'm putting up the just in case senerio here, so any help would be appreciated.

edit: Found a great deal on a pair or Studio Projects C4s, so another question...would you guys recommend these over the c1000s?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 05:57:06 AM by Normsreality »

Ray76

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2005, 06:02:10 AM »
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up as far as building my rig goes. I got my JB3 off of ebay for 150. I just came into some money so I'm going to upgrade my mics a bit and buy a preamp next week. This is what I'm thinking I'll end up with. 2 AKG C1000Ss>UA5>JB3. I may go with the SP-Preamp instead of the ua5, but then the issue becomes how to connect the 2 c1000s together into one 1/4 jack for the PreAmp. I know you guys are going to say to go with the UA5, but I'm putting up the just in case senerio here, so any help would be appreciated.

edit: Found a great deal on a pair or Studio Projects C4s, so another question...would you guys recommend these over the c1000s?

I would in a heartbeat..Ive never used c1000s...but all tapes ive heard with them well....just didnt impress me at all. C4s are excellent mics...excellent...BTW..the great gumbino here is or WAS selling a package deal..pmod ua5, c4s ..check it out..great deal..

Offline Normsreality

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2005, 06:13:01 AM »

I would in a heartbeat..Ive never used c1000s...but all tapes ive heard with them well....just didnt impress me at all. C4s are excellent mics...excellent...BTW..the great gumbino here is or WAS selling a package deal..pmod ua5, c4s ..check it out..great deal..

How many times are you gonna come through for me BigRay? If I could give you a ticket I would. Thanks bud.

Ray76

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2005, 06:14:29 AM »
no problem man.

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2005, 02:22:51 AM »
upgrade for sure, youll need a 744 with some custom cables, a 148/248, and some 481-3/460 mod same caps, DPA'S, oh forgot about the 4 mic mix... make sure to have at least a set of cards/hypers mixed with either omni's or SBD... and a nice bag ;)

Hamptons gay 8)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 02:24:52 AM by Kevin »
481(3)>722

Offline Normsreality

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2005, 07:40:12 AM »
upgrade for sure, youll need a 744 with some custom cables, a 148/248, and some 481-3/460 mod same caps, DPA'S, oh forgot about the 4 mic mix... make sure to have at least a set of cards/hypers mixed with either omni's or SBD... and a nice bag ;)

Wow, half of that I still don't understand, but give me a little time. My rig is almost complete. I am picking up a pair of C4's from The Great Gumbino, an Oade digi-mod UA5 from Doliam, and I plucked the JB3 off of ebay. I'm also getting a 12' mic stand + vert bar from Kindguy. Now I've got to get some cables, I know Ray is selling some, but since I plan to run the mics at the full 12' every now and again I'll need some a bit longer. Probably just pick up some Monster cables for now (don't flame me) learn to use all of this stuff then upgrade them to the good stuff. Thanks for the help everyone!  ;D

if this turns out to be a triple post I'm sorry  :'(

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2005, 01:12:54 PM »
I upgraded from soundpro cmc4's>bat box>jb3 to studio projects c4>dmod ua-5>jb3 and couldn't be happier.  I think you'll like it.

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
  • Lame Duck Sessions > Monkey Drum Jam
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2005, 02:00:54 PM »
congrats on the new gear!! i was able to use my C4's for the first time last night and loved how it turned out.
-Stigs

Peluso CEMC-6 > Segue Dogstar 15' XLRs > BM2P+ UA-5 > SP Optical Cable > Nomad JB3  w. SVU-1 & Macbook Core 2 Duo

Team Pittsburgh

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2005, 02:03:59 PM »
congrats on the new gear!! i was able to use my C4's for the first time last night and loved how it turned out.

so where's the torrent, you slacker?   :P
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Offline stigs

• Fratboy Meathead
  • Lame Duck Sessions > Monkey Drum Jam
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2005, 02:08:50 PM »

so where's the torrent, you slacker?   :P

:(
-Stigs

Peluso CEMC-6 > Segue Dogstar 15' XLRs > BM2P+ UA-5 > SP Optical Cable > Nomad JB3  w. SVU-1 & Macbook Core 2 Duo

Team Pittsburgh

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2005, 02:13:57 PM »
If you're happy with the sound of your recording gear, I wouldn't upgrade.  If you're unhappy with your results, I think you should identify...

[1] what you like about your gear
[2] what you don't like about your gear

...and then search around for options that preserve [1] while remove or improve [2].  Gear upgrades should, IMO, always have a purpose - not merely upgrading for the sake of upgrading.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline cdevs

• Taperssection Regular
  • I got a pork roll egg cheese & bacon
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2005, 02:34:48 PM »
I am picking up a pair of C4's from The Great Gumbino, an Oade digi-mod UA5 from Doliam, and I plucked the JB3 off of ebay. I'm also getting a 12' mic stand + vert bar from Kindguy. Now I've got to get some cables, I know Ray is selling some, but since I plan to run the mics at the full 12' every now and again I'll need some a bit longer.

all very wise moves, especially for a newbie. good work!

Probably just pick up some Monster cables for now (don't flame me) learn to use all of this stuff then upgrade them to the good stuff.

not so wise. (and your strategy was working so well!) if you have to buy new, get them from one of the guys here like Ed at kindkables.com. a 15' pair of beautiful xlr>xlr cables is $78 shipped. Your choice of colors. support the grass roots entrepreneurs! you'll feel better, really.

Gefell MG300s> Bumblebees> Apogee Mini-MP> Edirol R-09hr

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2005, 05:45:53 PM »
there's some canares in the YS, depends how you feel about the orange though

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49763.0
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Normsreality

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2005, 08:19:34 PM »
I am picking up a pair of C4's from The Great Gumbino, an Oade digi-mod UA5 from Doliam, and I plucked the JB3 off of ebay. I'm also getting a 12' mic stand + vert bar from Kindguy. Now I've got to get some cables, I know Ray is selling some, but since I plan to run the mics at the full 12' every now and again I'll need some a bit longer.

all very wise moves, especially for a newbie. good work!

Probably just pick up some Monster cables for now (don't flame me) learn to use all of this stuff then upgrade them to the good stuff.

not so wise. (and your strategy was working so well!) if you have to buy new, get them from one of the guys here like Ed at kindkables.com. a 15' pair of beautiful xlr>xlr cables is $78 shipped. Your choice of colors. support the grass roots entrepreneurs! you'll feel better, really.

Forget those Monster cables, TheGreatGumbino is hooking me up with a pair of 20' canare starquads, as well as a pair of at841 shockmounts....problem solved.

Offline Aaron41

• Quack
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2005, 02:55:10 AM »
I'm almost the exact same as the original poster. I plan on starting to make better open taping tapes. I'm hitting Willy Porter at a local Elks club (which sounds crazy to me but he IS playing the) and want to use it to try out new gear.

I also plan on covering DMB this winter and into the future. I know a Michigan date is finally going to happen... I can feel it.

I'm currently running AT831s > SP-SPSB-1 > JB3 and running the mics in my hat for open and stealth shows. I'm liking the results but I'd like something more impressive sounding for my open taping shows. I'm currently listening an awesome DMB tape recorded with Studio Projects C4 (thanks Brian Price if you are reading) and love the sound of it. I researched them a bit and they are definitely in the price range I'm after.

I'm getting a mic stand, a T-bar, and those mics sometime soon. I'm willing to put about an additional $200 into my set-up after those purchases. A LOT of people recommend the UA-5. Is it really worth the money? Would running the C4s into the SP-SPSB-1 be good enough or is it night and day? I want a great set-up that I can run for years without having to upgrade. I don't have the cash to become a gear slut.  :D

Any help would be great. Hope this isn't considered a thread hijack.
"The pizza game has treated me well" - Evil Taper

Offline Chad817

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2005, 11:25:23 AM »
ua-5 is a great low cost option.  the c4's need phantom power so you wouldn't be able to run them directly into the batt box.  ua-5 will provide phantom.  You can usually find a used digi-mod ua-5 for around $250

Offline Sanjay

• www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2005, 12:15:56 PM »
ua-5 is a great low cost option.  the c4's need phantom power so you wouldn't be able to run them directly into the batt box.  ua-5 will provide phantom.  You can usually find a used digi-mod ua-5 for around $250

or seriously scour ebay, I grabbed one to toy with for $95.  and did the digimod myself, simple stuff.
mics & cameras

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 58 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com