Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping in high wind/rain conditions?  (Read 7211 times)

Offline JackoRoses

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • lost cause
Re: Taping in high wind/rain conditions?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2005, 08:56:34 PM »
my recommendation is not to tape if the weather sucks...some other poor soul will tough it out and tape it, why risk your gear....I fucked up some of my stuff at the Vibes during ratdog...camera got messed, DAP1 wouldn't eject the tape...etc. sucked bad
well I don't think my last stint in bad weather went without issues completely.
The next morning when I set up and recorded the first band, I picked up some nasty glitches in the recording.
I am not sure if something was damp or if the wind that was kicking in the morning or a combination of both.
Or heck it could of been me even with something not plugged completely in.
I whole heartedly recommend to dry the gear out as best as possible after recording in a monsoon, if you feel brave (stupid?) enough to do so. I was already set up when I was nailed a few times already.
I think I would of done more damage tearing down instead of sticking it out. If it was storming like mad when I was going to set up, I don't think I would. It's one thing to dig in and be prepared to weather it out and another to try and set up while it's coming down.
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2005, 10:12:55 PM »
I've gotten a certain amount of satisfaction out of taping in heavy rain. ToddR made a really nice recording of The Dead at Red Rocks in pouring rain. He used omni's and had one of his mics clamped to my stand. It's like giving the finger to the weather god! F you... even bad weather is not going to stop me from making a good recording! Woodstock was another good example. I say go for it. Plastic bags, good umbrella, keeping your gear off the ground are all great recomendations.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2005, 11:19:05 PM »
Go to Babies-R-Us and get one of their stroller umbrellas.  I've used it a bunch of times this summer, and has been rock solid.  Clamps right to the stand.  $12.00, ya can't beat it.  Garbage bags for for your rig bag is a must.  Make sure your cables do not enter your bag from above, but below it.  Water will follow the cables downward.  Also, make sure that your bring duct/gaffer tape.  Your want to seal your exposed XLR connections.

As for wind, well........... hurricanes are a whole different bag of nuts.  Definitely, anchor your stand with tent spikes.  And lets hope for the best.   :)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2005, 07:23:30 AM »
My Jerry comment was uncalled for...you're right.

its just me.  the Grateful dead was worth risking gear for.  there was a historic value. 
I just dont see that anymore.  but thats me.

I saw a great gearbag the other day online someplace...I think it was a mountainsmith reflex II camera bag.  the whole bottom was rubber, so you could put it down in a puddle.

Offline MarkF

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2005, 12:46:35 PM »
I have had the problem of my umbrella go inverted in the rain and wind.  I use the walmart chair umbrella.  I wonder if I have a bad umbrella as I dont see it happen to others.  You might bring some string/cord to tie a couple of ends of the umbrella to the stand so you dont have to hold it the whole time.  If you do this, definitely anchor your stand.
open: SP C-4 > Bumblebee MiAGi-II Silver Cables > UA5 (T+ mod)> H120/JB3

not so open: Church Audio Cardoid mics > ST-9100 preamp > H120

Offline Gr8ful98

• Swamp Funk Junkie
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Harps & Drums
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2005, 01:46:42 PM »
Thanks y'all!  Great advice for this newbie.  After surviving 3 hurricanes last year (orlando,fl)...and seeing the size of this sucker that's headed straight for Texas on CNN...I'm not sure if I'll even go.

I know it might sound cowardly...but unless you've walked outside your front door & seen 100 year old oak trees uprooted & tossed a block away, right on top of your nieghbor's house...been without power/air conditioning/cold beverages for weeks...and watching grown men & women fist fight over a bag of ice, you just don't understand.  I didn't understand until it happened to me (3 times in a row last year).

Good Gawd I hope it doesn't take a turn for NOLA.

Anyways, we'll see.  My plane doesn't leave until 6pm tommorrow.  Damn hurricanes!
Namaste,
John Dude

AKG 481's>HYDRA Silver XLR's>Dmod UA5>JB3
Hat>OadeBros Micro Binaural>9vBattBox>JB3

<<<<iso CK62/63's>>>>

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2005, 02:54:02 PM »
my recommendation is not to tape if the weather sucks...some other poor soul will tough it out and tape it, why risk your gear....I fucked up some of my stuff at the Vibes during ratdog...camera got messed, DAP1 wouldn't eject the tape...etc. sucked bad

were you prepared ???

well prepared...but the humidity and rain combined made everything wet no matter how well I had it protected in a bag or not...it sucked.....after that I have decided I would not be taping in the rain again.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2005, 03:23:42 PM »
yeah, dats=moisture=BAD COMBO

my deck ahs shut down for a few days before AT THE MOEDOWN taboot, some kind gentleman lent me his spare d-8 tho :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Charlies

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2005, 03:34:42 PM »
Consider whether to run lower than normal...in some instances, it may reduce the likelihood of a big gust getting under the umbrella and will also make it easier to control damage if your stand is jarred loose...good luck, but you will need a perfect setup (and maybe divine intervention) to avoid issues if an all day tropical storm rain event hits.
AKG ck61/2/3->JK Labs actives and DVC V20->722
M148, Minime, Mod SBM-1, M1

ho

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2005, 08:58:52 AM »
I would only tape in a very light rain shower. Very, Very Light. Anything else, it would come down.

I would think you gotta have rocks in head if your going to Texas this weekend. Even though Austin is not on the coast, your still going to get Hurricane or Tropical storm force winds. Even 20 or 40 winds when fuck up your day pretty good. Sideways rain and all.

Off the ACL Website:
Update on Hurricane Rita & ACL
Just like you, we are keeping a very close watch on the weather and are being advised by meteorologists. We do expect some rain on Saturday, so be sure to bring an umbrella and wear your rain gear.

If weather conditions appear to present any kind of danger to fans, musicians or crew, we are prepared to make the necessary adjustments to maintain safety. Until then, the Festival is on, rain or shine. Look here for updates.

Offline jkbyram

• Taperssection Underachiever
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2005, 10:41:46 AM »
Thanks y'all!  Great advice for this newbie.  After surviving 3 hurricanes last year (orlando,fl)...and seeing the size of this sucker that's headed straight for Texas on CNN...I'm not sure if I'll even go.

I know it might sound cowardly...but unless you've walked outside your front door & seen 100 year old oak trees uprooted & tossed a block away, right on top of your nieghbor's house...been without power/air conditioning/cold beverages for weeks...and watching grown men & women fist fight over a bag of ice, you just don't understand.  I didn't understand until it happened to me (3 times in a row last year).

Good Gawd I hope it doesn't take a turn for NOLA.

Anyways, we'll see.  My plane doesn't leave until 6pm tommorrow.  Damn hurricanes!

i would consider this plan!!!!  we are still in a world of shit in south misissippi. i would not want to get there nd deal with traffic and no power trying to leave town. if you do go make sure you have plenty of gas before the power goes out.

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2005, 01:15:34 PM »
Starting from the top...
Umbrella...The stroller umbrella's are nice but prolly wont stand up to serious winds so look in to the vented ones...I have both and they both have their place.

Mics....shure screens and wrap the mics in syran wrap from capsule joint to end of XLR connection.

Stand...tent stakes w/ cord.....tape if you can.....weighted bags are a lot to carry but it has been done.

Cables...allow the cables to have enough hang so that the water goes below your bag and not into it

Gear bag... waterproof (scotch guard/gortex)...bags under and if you can put another CLEAR bag over the top that allows level viewing and access...a towel/wash cloth for soaking up ooops............

Pack a small tripod camping seat to put you gear on.

enjoy
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

ho

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2005, 03:45:57 PM »

Mics....shure screens and wrap the mics in syran wrap from capsule joint to end of XLR connection.

How about condons (no lube of course)? Kind of nasty, but may work great.  :o

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2005, 05:03:31 PM »
"these tapes were made for her pleasure"

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2005, 10:45:00 PM »
we all live downstream.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.193 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com