Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps beginner?  (Read 31849 times)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
Re: Schoeps beginner?
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2005, 12:55:35 PM »
i agree whole-heartedly with you boogie, if stealthing was my main objective in taping, i wouldn't use a v3, i'd be using a much smaller pre/adc.  and if someone asked me for advice on a good stealth rig, i wouldn't recommend the v3.  however, i'd definitely say its possible to do so, even in the more difficult situations although it wouldn't be ideal and you might even need help getting everything in, but i think its possible.

maybe it wouldn't work for some hardcore metal band with wands and walk thru metal detectors, but i don't think i've ever taped a band that has had a walk thru.  but i think its safe to say that wands pretty much suck and with a little work, you can get stuff past them.

perhaps i'm lucky cuz i tape in michigan and security is usually pretty lax.  i've stealthed the v3 before, in a side bag.  i checked my levels a couple of times and never looked again, so the blinky lights really don't apply, plus they can easily be covered or dimmed with tape.  as for getting it in, i put it in a binder, completely hooked up, and the guard looked in my bag, touched the binder, moved some things around, and let me go on my way, never even noticing the v3.  in the same night another guard had a 5 minute conversation with a kid sitting in front of me about how he couldn't be taking pictures.  not to mention freelunch sitting right beside me with the 722 tucked away.  both of us with mics in our hat, and no one noticed.

so i know for a fact its possible, maybe not in the toughest of situations, but its possible in every venue in michigan, and that'll work for me.

+t's for stealthing, and making awesome recordings

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2005, 01:09:01 PM »
a true stealth recording is one that is made under the nose of people who know what they are looking for

This too is my definition of stealthing.  If you can pull it off in a venue where security is actively LOOKING FOR YOU, then you are stealthing.

Dirk
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2005, 01:13:20 PM »
This too is my definition of stealthing.  If you can pull it off in a venue where security is actively LOOKING FOR YOU, then you are stealthing.

My definition is slightly different:

Unauthorized recording = making a recording when it's not allowed, but not necessarily covertly
Stealthing = covertly making a recording when it's not allowed, i.e. no one knows its happening (whether they're looking for you or not)

The requirement that someone must be looking for you in order for it to be "stealth" just doesn't make any sense to me, basically.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #108 on: November 15, 2005, 01:28:04 PM »
NOAM -

joining this conversation WAY too late, but i wanted to share a link with you.

i refused to run either the NBox or the Lemosax, and went with the option that hasn't been discussed at length here (the VMS02iB).

it is a much older pre-amp, one made by schoeps for schoeps.  it takes the kcy, no bodies needed, and is very small (think size of an sony m1)

also one last point, with the market bottoming out for DAT, grab a d100 or an m1 and ditch the HiMD.  just free advice, but for the about $150 you can get a nice DAT deck now.  i still can't believe that i am writing this part....  i paid too much and got in too soon.

anyways, here is the link www.titotito.com, i've got pictures of the vms, other schoeps gear and a place to download mp3 samples.  not trying to get fluffed for the site, but i just built it and it would have simplfied your search for gear. 

welcome to team schoeps.

oh yeah, budget and schoeps DO NO belong together.

Offline cdevs

• Taperssection Regular
  • I got a pork roll egg cheese & bacon
« Reply #109 on: November 15, 2005, 05:20:31 PM »
who knows whether they're looking or not? there have been countless times that an usher or whoever has been looking across the room in my direction and I'm SURE he's gonna bust me.  ::) but in reality he's probably just checking out the rack on some chick in my general vicinity.

stealthing in my book is anytime taping is not explicitly permitted and you're using some sort of chicanery in order to get a tape made. could be mics in a hat, or handheld, or mics on a head-high stand FOB with a scarf covering them...you're still using some sort of subterfuge. on the other hand, when poeple will run mics in hat for convenience at a taping-friendly show, yeah, I guess I wouldn't call that 'stealth'.

p.s. not to be a stickler todd e, but isn't a vms02ib about twice the size (at least in thickness) of an M1?
Gefell MG300s> Bumblebees> Apogee Mini-MP> Edirol R-09hr

Offline fuzn

• Taperssection Regular
  • Don't be weird about it.
« Reply #110 on: November 15, 2005, 10:08:18 PM »
thing i dont like is when these jack-a-moes show up at a show i'm taping and are nearby and start drawing attention to themselves and their location...talking about recordings, etc...its unreal how stupid people get when they are stealth taping..maybe its the nerves
boogie
Happened to me last week! +T
DPA 4061s > SP-MicroTrack Dongle > M-Audio MicroTrack

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2005, 01:42:04 PM »
Unauthorized recording = making a recording when it's not allowed, but not necessarily covertly
Stealthing = covertly making a recording when it's not allowed, i.e. no one knows its happening (whether they're looking for you or not)

The requirement that someone must be looking for you in order for it to be "stealth" just doesn't make any sense to me, basically.

my feelings exactly.  i never attend open taping shows (nature of the bands i like) so i am always stealthing.  having to sneak in equipment and then try to fit in with the crowd while taping is all part of stealthing IMHO.  security might not be looking to bust tapers, but we've all heard of stories when nearby concertgoers rat out tapers.

i'd rather that no one other than my partner(s) in crime know about the tape we are making...
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline cdevs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #112 on: November 18, 2005, 04:21:34 PM »
A number of the artists I like to see/tape play "sit-down music" in nice theatres where a pat-down -- or even asking to look in someone's purse -- would be considered uncouth. But you better be damned sure that an usher would bust me in a second if they thought I was taping. So to me, it has a lot more to do with how you handle and conceal the mics and being discreet re: checking the deck than it does the gear you bring. YMMV.

As for not stealthing a V3...I don't own one, but I'm looking here at my old D-5 and remembering the many times I snuck it, mics, cables and a power supply into shows -- sometimes all on my person. And who says everything has to be on your body? That's a last resort.

Hell, I wrapped my D-5 in a box and said it was a Christmas present I'd just bought to get it into a Jane's Addiction show in NYC. They told me to take it to the coat check. Yeah, right.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2005, 04:54:18 PM »

My definition is slightly different:

Agreed.

Taping isn't allowed, you're hiding the fact you're doing it = stealthing.

Arguing the specifics is silly. Whether you're getting CSBs, a battery box and a Hi-MD through the security at the Pentagon, or nonchalantly walking in the front door with a V3 and U87s....if you're taping something you're not supposed to and hiding it - you're stealthing.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline itook2much

• Taperssection All-Star
  • AKA rspencer
    • my masters
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2005, 09:55:24 PM »
Whether you're getting CSBs, a battery box and a Hi-MD through the security at the Pentagon, or nonchalantly walking in the front door with a V3 and U87s....if you're taping something you're not supposed to and hiding it - you're stealthing.

Can I get a B&P of the Jopint Cheifs of Staff meeting? ;)
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > CS BB > Edirol R-09

Backups:  DPA 4060 (1/8"), SP-BMC-2, SP-SPSB-6, Sony MZ-NH1

Quote from: tomluvsgiants
rule #1 - get the show taped
rule #2 - see rule #1    >:D

Quote from: Grace Hopper
“If it's a good idea, go ahead and do it. It's much easier to apologize than it is to get permission.”

Offline todd e

• ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2005, 08:01:41 AM »
p.s. not to be a stickler todd e, but isn't a vms02ib about twice the size (at least in thickness) of an M1?

true, the thickness is a bit more than the m1, i was really referring to the footprint of the vms029b more than the width.
plus it has two sets of outputs, simultaneous output, and a headphones jack and somewhat variable gain knobs (fixed ranges, but you can increase it) with a roll-off function.

i just saying, it's another option for a schoeps active setup that hasn't been discussed.

front picture of unit http://www.titotito.com/recgear/VMS02.gif

pictures of the vms, compared to the d8 with some sweet cables! (custom made by leggeddy, BNC (2) > 1/8" Stereo plug)
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=49222.0

Offline cdevs

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2005, 06:21:43 PM »
I'm with ya -- that's a great-looking rig

spearheadtaper

« Reply #117 on: January 07, 2006, 12:03:32 AM »
so is it unheard off to run   mk4 > NBox > jb3 ??

whats the difference sound wise in the Nbox and the kcy cables

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2006, 12:35:34 AM »

FWIW, it seems like most people running Schoeps>NBox use either a M1 or D100, and there was a comp torrent awhile back between the D100 and JB3's line in, and they were similar enough that no one would really complain.

Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

spearheadtaper

« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2006, 12:49:07 AM »

FWIW, it seems like most people running Schoeps>NBox use either a M1 or D100, and there was a comp torrent awhile back between the D100 and JB3's line in, and they were similar enough that no one would really complain.

cool .....well the I can use a friends jb3 so with just having to buy the Mk4's and Nbox that makes things seem pretty possible with the 2,000 dollar budget...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com