Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps beginner?  (Read 31846 times)

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
Re: Schoeps beginner?
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2005, 04:58:30 AM »
Boogie!

What about this bit about the vms02ib innards in the Nbox.  Is this just rumor or fact?

ANDY

Offline noam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2005, 10:19:00 AM »
From Sonosax:

Dear Mr xxxx,

The SX-M2/LS which is no longer available is replaced by the  SX-M2/LS2.

The SX-M2 LS/2 provides with both a 5 pin Binder connector for the Schoeps KCY active cable and two 3 pin Lemo's.
The SX-M2/LS2 supply 48V for the Schoeps capsule.
The voltage difference between the 60V and the 48V is not an issue.
The 12V difference are almost negligible as it affect the max acoustic SPL ( Sound Pressure Level ) accepted at the capsule by only a couples of dB.

I hope this will answer your questions.
Kind regards

Pierre Blanc
SONOSAX
Sales and Customer Support

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2005, 10:23:40 AM »
From Sonosax:

Dear Mr xxxx,

The SX-M2/LS which is no longer available is replaced by the  SX-M2/LS2.

The SX-M2 LS/2 provides with both a 5 pin Binder connector for the Schoeps KCY active cable and two 3 pin Lemo's.
The SX-M2/LS2 supply 48V for the Schoeps capsule.
The voltage difference between the 60V and the 48V is not an issue.
The 12V difference are almost negligible as it affect the max acoustic SPL ( Sound Pressure Level ) accepted at the capsule by only a couples of dB.

I hope this will answer your questions.
Kind regards

Pierre Blanc
SONOSAX
Sales and Customer Support

Thanks for the info, Noam.  FWIW, I recieved basically the same reply.  Bottom line (at least for me):  I trust Jerry Bruck's comments that it's an approved Schoeps solution, and I know for a fact that it works well since I and others have run the gear with excellent results.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2005, 07:29:14 AM »
Indeed, they don’t fit. Chris from Sound Professionals was the only vendor who agreed to try if they would fit and they didn’t. Chris is an angel, he never refused me any stupid idea I had, and I have had a number. He agreed for example to build me a battery box with 2 in for 2 mics and one out, to combine the sound of 2 mics. He agreed to sell me a hypercardioid pair without the cardioids, even though they come together. He is always patient and gracious, no attitude.

So, why am I singing his praises? Not only because he agreed to receive expensive mics I did not buy from him and try to fit them into croakies, but because HE CAME UP WITH AN ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION TO HOOKING THESE MICS INTO GLASSES. 

Of course this is not for stealthing, but it’s a good way to get the mics at head level, the best level for optimal sound. (Let’s not get into the issue of cardioids in this position, that’s another opera.)

And how much did Chris charge me for this (and all the time he spent with me over the phone)? $0
Noam
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 11:14:44 AM by Brian Skalinder »

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2005, 10:12:51 AM »
if not for stealth, why not just put them on a stand where they can get a little above the audience, and in different stereo configurations such as din, ortf, etc.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline -Q-

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2005, 04:01:20 PM »
i looked like a dork wearing the kangol (i use a baseball hat) but dude those glasses  :D what is your major malfunction private pyle  ;D
I  don't know where i'm going but i'll get there.Reid Genauer

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2005, 02:39:54 PM »
Question: Budget stealth schoeps set up.

Answer: CCM-4's/V3/Microtrack "period"!

End of thread!

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2005, 02:59:58 PM »
Question: Budget stealth schoeps set up.

Answer: CCM-4's/V3/Microtrack "period"!

End of thread!

nor is a $1400 V3

Only real "budget" Schoeps setup is MK?>Nbox>DAT

Even that'll run you well over $2000

The Sonosax option isn't really "budget" either, as a new SXM2 is $1100, the KCY cable is $700, and the caps are $600 (or more) apiece. That (without any type of recorder) is already $3000.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 11:15:04 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2005, 07:26:45 PM »
I am finding that 'Budget Schoeps' is a complete oxymoron.  You gotta lay down for this stuff and skimping is not the way to do it.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2005, 07:55:21 PM »
I am finding that 'Budget Schoeps' is a complete oxymoron.  You gotta lay down for this stuff and skimping is not the way to do it.

Pretty much, yeah. But it's worth it....
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2005, 10:07:24 PM »
Hell yes it is :)

8)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 06:03:10 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2005, 10:38:00 AM »
The poster asked for a "budget schoeps, stealth set up", which of course is relative but it would be reasonable to assume he meant with in reason, simple and stealth. That being said:

CCM4's (Why have all those cables, bodies, ect. Sure you might have interchangable caps but where talking simple and stealth here. Buy the CCM4 and enjoy the cards.)

V3 (Great pre and AD, simple and compact)

Microtrack (Cheap way to store 24 bit)

Again, all this fits the bill for what I assume the poster is requesting simple, stealth and relaively affordable, not a boondoggle of boxes and cables. But, then again I may be wrong. I have been before, usually every four years around election time!

Now get out and tape!

Ray

Offline stlram

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2005, 02:45:24 PM »
IMO, getting equipment past security and recording the show via stealth are two seperate issues. I know I'm dating myself but back in the day..............Blah, blah, blah big batteries, cables, decks, ect............ and still we would get it past security. Where there is a will there is a Ray. Oops, I mean way!

Anyway, once you get past security with what ever you bring in, and after 25 years of taping and 99.9999% being succesful getting equipment in, I'd say ccm4-v3-micro is pretty stealthy. I doesn't take up much room and can sit on your lap, under your chair or where ever and it gets you state of the art two track, too!

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2005, 02:21:22 AM »
if you are getting in with a v3, it means there is no meaningful security...same goes for the 722...both of them are too big to be considered stealth solutions....wearing a portabrace and not getting caught is NOT stealthing

no offense boogie, but i'm calling bullshit on that statement.  where there's a will theres a way.  sure, just cuz the guy with the v3 watched security for awhile, found the little old lady not doing pat downs, and went to her to get the gear thru, doesn't mean he's any less a stealther than you are.

i don't get why stealthing has to be done with a super small equipment that can fit in your underpants for it to be considered true stealth.  the only reason the v3 isn't stealthed more is because stealthers don't find it ideal for their needs and the people that use them don't usually need to stealth.  but honestly, its 100% stealthable, for any band, any venue, any security.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2005, 12:48:24 PM »
American Heritage

stealth (stµlth) n. 1. The act of moving, proceeding, or acting in a covert way. 2. The quality or characteristic of being furtive or covert. 3. Archaic. The act of stealing. [Middle English stelth, probably from Old English *stÆlth.]

Know where does mention size. Just thought I would throw that in.

#3. is a little harsh....mmmat would like that part  ;)

My opinion would be if you record a show that does not allow taping, that would define a stealth taping.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com