Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New crop of budget preamps?  (Read 1818 times)

Offline tradja

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
New crop of budget preamps?
« on: November 04, 2005, 02:55:10 PM »
After a $140 repair this spring, my UA-5 is acting up again.  I'm tired of this lemon. 

I just got the new Sweetwater Winter 2006 ProGear catalog.   There are some intriguing new devices out there around $200 (my budget).  I wonder of any of these would work for our purposes, especially being able to function without USB?

The TonePort UX2

The Alesis IO2

Also, what's the verdict on the UA-25?  Are there any other new budget preamps out there, essentially replacing the niche that the UA-5 held?
Oktava MK012s->Canare Star Quads->DIY digimod UA-5->JB3, monitored through Beyer-pad modded Sony V6 cans

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: New crop of budget preamps?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 03:06:41 PM »
The TonePort UX2

Looks like all its control functions are s/w based, so...no go on this one.

The Alesis IO2

Doubtful, given its powered via USB and includes no output options other than USB.  I suppose theoretically you could hack the USB connector to run power from an external power source, and a digi-signal out to a non-USB source, but...maybe, maybe not.

Also, what's the verdict on the UA-25?

Nope.  Its configurations, e.g. bit-depth, sample rate, etc., are all managed on the software side.  Same issue as the UX2 above.

Are there any other new budget preamps out there, essentially replacing the niche that the UA-5 held?

None of which I'm aware.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com