Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Sony ECM 907 microphones?  (Read 6914 times)

Offline TyBO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Anyone know anything about Sony ECM 907 microphones?
« on: November 03, 2005, 09:10:36 PM »
OK, I'm a total n00b and probably have no idea what I'm talking about so please go easy on me...

I'm not currently a taper, but I'm looking into becoming one.  I've developed a pretty large collection of live concerts (link) and have been listening to my audience recordings to see which ones sound the best.  One of the best sounding ones I came across is Slint 2005-03-03, and according to my source, the taper used Sony ECM 907 microphones.

So my question is, are these mics any good?  The price is surprisingly cheap, and I really liked the sound quality of the Slint show, but I'd really like to hear from someone who knows about/has had first hand experience with the mics.

Replies would be appreciated!  Thanks.  ;D

Offline Evil Taper

• Needs to get out more...
  • Going pro...no time for taping now
Re: Anyone know anything about Sony ECM 907 microphones?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 09:55:18 PM »
Don't waste your money, these are the very bottom rung of the mic ladder and sound more unnatural than almost anything else you can buy.  If the tape sounds super good there's probably been tons of post production done to the recording or the source info is wrong.  You might also just have a collection of not so hot tapes or your playback system can't handle more bassy recordings properly.  Depending on your budget and what you're looking to tape the entry level mics you should be looking at are:

Stealth Mics
Sound Professionals - sp-cmc-4, sp-cmc-8
Audio Technica - AT853, ES943
Core Sound binaurals

Open Mics
Studio Projects C4
Nakamichi CM100
AKG C1000

There's also a couple of folks who dig the microphone madness mics, but there's probably a reason they aren't used much.  You'll be better off saving some money and getting the best stuff you can afford because you WILL sell this stuff eventually.  The more expensive the gear is the higher the resale value usually is.  Buy used if possible, you can possibly sell them off for what you paid when you upgrade.  I'm sure other folks have suggestions but do some listening to see what you like the sound of.  Archive.org should have recordings where almost any mic imaginable was used, so check out different mics and see what you like the sound of.  Welcome to the money hungry hobby of concert recording >:D
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline TyBO

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 10:21:41 PM »
Don't waste your money, these are the very bottom rung of the mic ladder and sound more unnatural than almost anything else you can buy.  If the tape sounds super good there's probably been tons of post production done to the recording or the source info is wrong.  You might also just have a collection of not so hot tapes or your playback system can't handle more bassy recordings properly.  Depending on your budget and what you're looking to tape the entry level mics you should be looking at are:

Stealth Mics
Sound Professionals - sp-cmc-4, sp-cmc-8
Audio Technica - AT853, ES943
Core Sound binaurals

Open Mics
Studio Projects C4
Nakamichi CM100
AKG C1000

There's also a couple of folks who dig the microphone madness mics, but there's probably a reason they aren't used much.  You'll be better off saving some money and getting the best stuff you can afford because you WILL sell this stuff eventually.  The more expensive the gear is the higher the resale value usually is.  Buy used if possible, you can possibly sell them off for what you paid when you upgrade.  I'm sure other folks have suggestions but do some listening to see what you like the sound of.  Archive.org should have recordings where almost any mic imaginable was used, so check out different mics and see what you like the sound of.  Welcome to the money hungry hobby of concert recording >:D
OK, thanks for the info... I don't know why the Slint show sounds so good. Maybe it's just because I love Slint.  ;D

I've heard a lot of people use those Core Sound Binaurals you mentioned... I think I have a lot of shows taped with them too.  I'm interested in buying them, but I'm really skeptical that mics that small will have good sound quality.  Is the difference in sound quality between CSB's and good non-stealth mics marginal?

... and yeah.  I'm starting to pick up on the "money hungry" part.  With my part time job, I'll probably have to by my equipment one by one, until I have everything I need to tape a show. ;)

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 10:35:12 PM »
Size means nothing.  The DPA 4060/4061 mics are the smallest out there but will blow away any of those mics listed.  Entry level open taping mics will be better than the Core Sound mics for sure, the Audio Technicas are sometimes used to open tape with too.  How much are you looking to spend total:

mics>power>recorder

Offline TyBO

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 10:55:00 PM »
Size means nothing.  The DPA 4060/4061 mics are the smallest out there but will blow away any of those mics listed.  Entry level open taping mics will be better than the Core Sound mics for sure, the Audio Technicas are sometimes used to open tape with too.  How much are you looking to spend total:

mics>power>recorder
WOOOO!  Glad to hear that!

Total, I want to spend $300-$400... is that too low to get anything good?  I'm willing to buy used equipment, so that should make things reasonably cheap.

I've read in the source files for shows that people have "homemade" battery boxes.  I'm assuming this is a heck of a lot cheaper than going out and buying one, yes?

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 10:59:06 PM »
are you open taping or stealthing?

any decent set of mics is going to cost you at least $200 unless you find someone looking to really unload some gear.  A recorder will be at least $100 also, so that leave you almost broke.  A sound pros battery box is something like $50.

Offline TyBO

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 11:29:28 PM »
are you open taping or stealthing?

any decent set of mics is going to cost you at least $200 unless you find someone looking to really unload some gear.  A recorder will be at least $100 also, so that leave you almost broke.  A sound pros battery box is something like $50.
I was planning to stealth it.  After what you said about microphone size, I went ahead and listened to one of the Sigur Ros shows in my collection recorded with CSBs and wow... it was like a soundboard recording!  :o

So I guess I'm looking to buy one of the Sony DAT recorders, CSB mics, and a Sound Pros battery box.

Recorder....100
CSBs..........260
Battery........50
---------------------
Total........$410

Not bad... only 10 dollars out of my range!  ;)

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 11:37:54 PM »
You should be able to find used CSBs for alot less than $260.  Maybe post in the yard sale "ISO Core Sound Binaurals" and see if anyone is looking to sell theirs.

Offline TyBO

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 11:46:01 PM »
You should be able to find used CSBs for alot less than $260.  Maybe post in the yard sale "ISO Core Sound Binaurals" and see if anyone is looking to sell theirs.
OK, cool.  I'll have to do that when I'm ready to buy.  Not sure when that will be, but I'll definately buy the equipment at some point in time.  ;D

Thanks for all the advice man.  I know hardly anything about show taping and you've been a major help.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 11:56:46 PM »
you'll learn man.  I've been there and have learned ALOT since then.  Getting out and taping is the best way to really grasp what we do and why things sound how they do.  I've gone through 3 sets of mics in the past year, so don't be shocked if you want to upgrade real soon.

zowie

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2005, 12:11:33 AM »
You can get the Sound Professionals mics for a little less.  If your budget is this tight, that's what I'd do, especially since some people prefer them.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2005, 12:24:39 AM »
That's why I'd recommend dude listens to different sources.  Get an actual feel for the mics voice from various recordings.

Offline Evil Taper

Offline TyBO

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 12:52:06 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=53370.0;topicseen

$100
Wow... it's tempting... very... tempting...

Zowie: I've listened to a Wilco show I have that was recorded with Sound Professionals, and it wasn't nearly as impressive at the Sigur Ros show recorded with CSBs.  Of course, there are a lot of things to consider... distance from stage, wear and tear on mics, etc.  From what I could tell though, CSBs are the clear cut winner.

Offline Evil Taper

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 01:02:06 AM »
You can't base your decision on 1 recording bro, you should listen to 15 or 20 of each mic you're seriously considering.  $100 is a better price than you're going to find on decent audio technicas with a power supply.  All you'd need is a recording device and you'd be ready to start taping.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com