Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Sony ECM 907 microphones?  (Read 6912 times)

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Anyone know anything about Sony ECM 907 microphones?
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2005, 01:08:35 AM »
I was planning to stealth it.  After what you said about microphone size, I went ahead and listened to one of the Sigur Ros shows in my collection recorded with CSBs and wow... it was like a soundboard recording!  :o

if it sounds like a soundboard recording, i bett the taper was right in front of a stack.

Sound Professional/audio technicas mics are going to be alot better (allmost all of the time) than the CSBs

zowie

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2005, 04:02:43 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=53370.0;topicseen

$100
Wow... it's tempting... very... tempting...

Zowie: I've listened to a Wilco show I have that was recorded with Sound Professionals, and it wasn't nearly as impressive at the Sigur Ros show recorded with CSBs.  Of course, there are a lot of things to consider... distance from stage, wear and tear on mics, etc.  From what I could tell though, CSBs are the clear cut winner.

If it was really so clear cut, it most probably had to do with a lot more factors other than the mics.  OTOH, I would think that the availabiltiy of Nick G's pair of CSB's + power available for $100 should settle the question.

Offline Evil Taper

• Going pro...no time for taping now
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2005, 04:48:05 AM »
Agreed, but the dude is lookin to spend $400 for EVERYTHING.  I guess if someone puts a deal up for their sound pros mics + batt box for $200 that's the way to go.  If it were really a matter of quality dude should just pick up some ebay 4061s, sound pros batt box and a dat deck.  $500 could probably have all that and he'd be rockin better than anything else in the price range.
Really not very evil at all now...

Offline BLdad

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Wilco Tracker
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2005, 07:44:41 AM »
I'm not adding anything to this thread, but just wanted to say thanks to everyone (esp. Evil Taper) for the information that's been provided in this thread.

Also a total noob here, although I've lurked around for quite a while.  Money's tight right now (then again, when isn't it) so it will be a while before I can really get going.

Thanks much.
Earthworks SR68> ???? still shopping

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2005, 07:54:24 AM »
You can't forget to factor in interconnects, batteries, cables, a stand, bag, T-bar, shock mounts....

I could go on and on...

But welcome to the board!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline dunebug81

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2005, 08:14:19 AM »
Hey BLDaD...Ive got a set of CSBs and an extra Sharp MT90 minidisc that I'd sell for $150.  The MD is about 4 years old but Ive had no problems with it at all and the mics are about 2 years old, also with no problems.  Neither MD or mics have been used since March/April.  I can take pics of both MD and mics if youre insterested.
Greg
www.enemyzero.com/greg/
aim: dunebug81

nameloc01

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2005, 10:23:11 PM »
i actually have one of the 907 mics.i have actually made some really kick ass recordings with it.but due to the size it is not good at all for stealthing.i just recently bought a pair of SPs(bis) and have gotten very good results and have a had a major improvement with ability to stealth.

Offline fuzn

• Taperssection Regular
  • Don't be weird about it.
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2005, 06:43:35 AM »
If you can, save up for SP-CMC-2 (AT831s) mics. They are SO much better than CSB mics. You'll totally not regret it.
DPA 4061s > SP-MicroTrack Dongle > M-Audio MicroTrack

CHURCH-AUDIO

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2005, 02:33:23 AM »
Just thought I would chime in did you guys know that the Nakamichi mics some of you guys like so much have Primo capsules in them and they still make the same capsule for about $50. The mic preamp / body was made by TOA electronics it was made after the TOA K1 a mic that sold for about $100 that uses a Primo capsule as well that costs $17 just my two cents.

Don't waste your money, these are the very bottom rung of the mic ladder and sound more unnatural than almost anything else you can buy.  If the tape sounds super good there's probably been tons of post production done to the recording or the source info is wrong.  You might also just have a collection of not so hot tapes or your playback system can't handle more bassy recordings properly.  Depending on your budget and what you're looking to tape the entry level mics you should be looking at are:

Stealth Mics
Sound Professionals - sp-cmc-4, sp-cmc-8
Audio Technica - AT853, ES943
Core Sound binaurals

Open Mics
Studio Projects C4
Nakamichi CM100
AKG C1000

There's also a couple of folks who dig the microphone madness mics, but there's probably a reason they aren't used much.  You'll be better off saving some money and getting the best stuff you can afford because you WILL sell this stuff eventually.  The more expensive the gear is the higher the resale value usually is.  Buy used if possible, you can possibly sell them off for what you paid when you upgrade.  I'm sure other folks have suggestions but do some listening to see what you like the sound of.  Archive.org should have recordings where almost any mic imaginable was used, so check out different mics and see what you like the sound of.  Welcome to the money hungry hobby of concert recording >:D

RebelRebel

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2005, 05:34:50 PM »
BLdad you used them hypers yet??

I'm not adding anything to this thread, but just wanted to say thanks to everyone (esp. Evil Taper) for the information that's been provided in this thread.

Also a total noob here, although I've lurked around for quite a while.  Money's tight right now (then again, when isn't it) so it will be a while before I can really get going.

Thanks much.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com