Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Storage Server?!?!  (Read 2324 times)

Offline fischer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • diggity dank!
    • SHN LIST
Storage Server?!?!
« on: February 17, 2006, 11:44:12 AM »
So, I don't know if anyone is like me, but want to have access to their music, dvd, video collection 24/7. Personally, I have an HTPC which runs MCE2005 and I can stream whatever I want to my tv / playback system and pump tunes whenever I want.

But recently I lost a few HD's and I am getting sick of this and NEED to find a solution that is cost effective. I thought I found gold when I found this 'raid' server

www.lime-technology.com

This 'un'-raid server allows you too add any size HD's and any brands which all other RAID systems don't allow. It seems to be gold, but currently the guy that is making / owns the company has gone AWOL. He has promised a SATA version and software updates to help deal with some known bugs. This sucks because this thing is just sweet, and a lot of us are hoping that Tom, is out on vacation or something.

Anyways, how else are people dealing with mass storage? Don't give me the old back it up on DVD, blah blah... I have 2 TB of Hd's and I ain't going to back up on media that is/will go bad.

Here are some intense threads about the server

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=573986&page=1&pp=30

Here is the one of people with concerns that Tom is missing:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=641775&page=1&pp=30&highlight=unraid

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Storage Server?!?!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 12:12:13 PM »
I'm facing a similar dilemma.  My current gameplan involves backing up the contents of my hard drives to other drives via norton ghost.  Easily done using cheap internal drives as backups and interfacing the backup drives via a usb2>pata adaptor (so I don't need to open the pc case and/or futz with external enclosures)

Since my music collection is more dynamic and more difficult to replace/replicate than my dvd/video collection, I'm about to take the plunge into raid 5 using sata drives for my music collection.  A 4 drive array on Raid 5 using 200gb drives will give me 600gb of storage and, will allow the entire array to rebuild if any one drive fails.  I've seen good sata controllers that will support raid 5 going for as little as $100 and picked up 2 maxtor 200gb sata drives for $79 apiece.

Offline fischer

• Taperssection Member
  • diggity dank!
    • SHN LIST
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 12:15:41 PM »
I'm facing a similar dilemma.  My current gameplan involves backing up the contents of my hard drives to other drives via norton ghost.  Easily done using cheap internal drives as backups and interfacing the backup drives via a usb2>pata adaptor (so I don't need to open the pc case and/or futz with external enclosures)

Since my music collection is more dynamic and more difficult to replace/replicate than my dvd/video collection, I'm about to take the plunge into raid 5 using sata drives for my music collection.  A 4 drive array on Raid 5 using 200gb drives will give me 600gb of storage and, will allow the entire array to rebuild if any one drive fails.  I've seen good sata controllers that will support raid 5 going for as little as $100 and picked up 2 maxtor 200gb sata drives for $79 apiece.

Problem is, you have to use the same make / model of drives, therefore you have to have cold spares, and if you can't find that Hd again... have fun.

Plus most likely, all will die right about the same time.

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 12:20:15 PM »
My understanding is that raid 5 requires the same size/interace of drives, not same make and model (i.e. all need to be, say, 200gb sata drives, not model xxx maxtor 200gb sata drives).  Thus, as long as 200gb sata drives are still available, I should be all set if/when one fails.  Regarding simultaneous failure -- this is why I've only bought 2 so far -- I've heard it's best to build an array with, at a minimum, drives that were built on different days/etc. --

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 12:22:28 PM by dnsacks »

Offline fischer

• Taperssection Member
  • diggity dank!
    • SHN LIST
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 12:20:55 PM »
My understanding is that raid 5 requires the same size/interace of drives, not same make and model (i.e. all need to be, say, 200gb sata drives, not model xxx maxtor 200gb sata drives). 

Really?? I did not know that.... hrmmmm

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 12:43:43 PM »
For those considering RAID1 or 5, I think it's worth the extra few bucks to get "enterprise" category HDs as they're designed for RAID environments, generally more reliable IME, and often carry a longer warranty.

My issue with the previous pair of JD designation WD drives I had related to an error recovery feature that rendered the drives incompatible for RAID.  Of course, I didn't find out about it until I'd already bought them and tried to fire 'em up in my array.  [edit] The "enterprise" category SD model drives solved the problem. [/edit]  I suspect other manufacturers also have different feature sets for enterprise / non-enterprise models that may compromise RAID integrity.  If you're spending the cash on a RAID setup, I think it's worth a few bucks extra investment to get drives that will perform properly and well in that environment.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 12:52:09 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline fischer

• Taperssection Member
  • diggity dank!
    • SHN LIST
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 12:46:51 PM »
Anyone have any good barebone raid5 server options? would love to see some more. I keep searching and not finding enough that would be cost effective for the home user

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 12:58:40 PM »
Anyone have any good barebone raid5 server options? would love to see some more. I keep searching and not finding enough that would be cost effective for the home user

Unfortunately, no specific recommendations at the moment, but check out CoolDrives - hokey name, but they have one of the more coherent sites detailing the options available if you don't want to build it piecemeal from the ground up (which I don't, even though it's probably the cheapest way to go...PITA).  I dropped 2 internal SATA drives with a RAID1 config into my PC as a start-up measure until I figure out my longer term external storage plans - a mondo RAID5 or multiple RAID1s, PC-attached or network-attached.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rePat

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 12:00:44 AM »
I've been using the free version of NAS-Lite http://www.serverelements.com/naslite.php  My only complaint is that the floppy version takes a long time to boot up.  I'm sure the idea is to leave it on all the time.  In the long term, I'd like to upgrade my switch to gig-e and get the paid version.  Not exactly a RAID solution, but an inexpensive NAS.

Pat
DPA 4021 >SD MP-2>Sony PCM M10

Church Audio Cardoids>Edirol R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com