Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestions for a stand without legs  (Read 7182 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
Suggestions for a stand without legs
« on: March 07, 2006, 01:04:39 AM »
Lately I find myself just taping my stand to a halfwall or a pole because extending the legs is just more trouble than it's worth.  More often than not, when I extend the legs, I'm blocking the stand all night to keep people from tripping over one of the legs and this becomes a huge problem at sold out shows with a bar because people are constantly walking back and forth.  The last thing a drunk concert attendee is looking for is a black piece of metal that is sticking out a foot or two into their walking path.  This leads me to believe that a single pole might be more beneficial for me since it would be smaller and lighter than a full tripod.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Should I be looking for a monopod or just a stand extension?  Is this something that people find common with their taping experiences?

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: Suggestions for a stand without legs
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2006, 01:17:39 AM »
Lately I find myself just taping my stand to a halfwall or a pole because extending the legs is just more trouble than it's worth.  More often than not, when I extend the legs, I'm blocking the stand all night to keep people from tripping over one of the legs and this becomes a huge problem at sold out shows with a bar because people are constantly walking back and forth.  The last thing a drunk concert attendee is looking for is a black piece of metal that is sticking out a foot or two into their walking path.  This leads me to believe that a single pole might be more beneficial for me since it would be smaller and lighter than a full tripod.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Should I be looking for a monopod or just a stand extension?  Is this something that people find common with their taping experiences?

Time to get creative with clamping.  This is really easy, especially when you use light mics, such as AT853 or AKG CK9x "active" capsules.

Another idea is to use (fiberglass) tent poles.  Look in an outdoors store for "replacement poles".  They come in 2' lengths.  I use them as a boom, eg., out from a clamp on stage or a pillar, or as a stand, eg., tie them to a chair or table leg.

I hardly ever use a stand now.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2006, 01:19:45 AM »
I thought about getting a clamp and doing that, but the venues I tape at are good for just taping my stand to the wall since I'm usually right in front of the board (so it's really a half-wall).

And about using non-conventional poles like tent poles and such, how does one manage to mount his mic bar on the top of something like that? Is it a ghetto taped-up rig or can you get adapters to fit most things?

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2006, 01:27:51 AM »
I thought about getting a clamp and doing that, but the venues I tape at are good for just taping my stand to the wall since I'm usually right in front of the board (so it's really a half-wall).

And about using non-conventional poles like tent poles and such, how does one manage to mount his mic bar on the top of something like that? Is it a ghetto taped-up rig or can you get adapters to fit most things?

My "active" setup is just two CK91 or CK93 capsules.  I just wound some wire to loops to hold them by the windscreens.  This is then ghetto taped/clamped to the pole, which is then ghetto taped/clamped/tied to anything I can reach.

You can find me easily.  I'm the guy who looks at the ceiling to see where I can clamp/tie/tape my gear.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2006, 01:30:13 AM »

fyi, i dont think the muthafuckin heat will be able to be held up with a meer fiberglass pole...  a monopod would probably still require duct/gaffers taping, so you might just save the money on the stand and put it towards tape.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2006, 01:36:06 AM »

fyi, i dont think the muthafuckin heat will be able to be held up with a meer fiberglass pole...  a monopod would probably still require duct/gaffers taping, so you might just save the money on the stand and put it towards tape.

I'm also thinking this.  The C1000S is a beast.  Put two of them on a stereo bar and it weighs quite a bit.  I kinda wish I could just buy the stand I have now sans the legs.

Offline Tall Adam

• The Artist Formerly Known as GQJSP
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2006, 02:01:49 AM »
what kind of stand is it? leg removal might be a possibilty...

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2006, 02:05:31 AM »
what kind of stand is it? leg removal might be a possibilty...

http://www.adorama.com/SALSB10AC.html

The legs are riveted to it so you can't take them off.  I hadn't thought of taking them off before I read your post but upon inspection of the stand it doesn't look possible.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2006, 08:39:19 AM »
Rivets are easy to drill. Take a bit smaller than the rivet and drill out the center. Only thing is you probably will not be able to get the legs reattached. A pop rivet gun may be able to but if you drill, consider the stand as a permanent monopod. Rerivetting the legs is very likely to be less sturdy than the stand originally was.

If you are looking for something cheap to use as a monopod, either pvc pipe or electrical conduit is available in almost any home center or hardware store in any length you wnat and then an inexpensive WindTech style clamp will allow you to use all your standard mic thred fittings/adaptors.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2006, 11:11:38 AM »
The guy that makes APIC stands does extensions that are basically stands without legs. He'll add the 5/8 threaded tap if you want. I've been very happy with my stand and would reccomend them. 201-261-2160

See this thread for more info:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=2456.0

If you decide to get one, please post with how much it cost as their website is a bit lacking.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2006, 12:42:56 PM »
The guy that makes APIC stands does extensions that are basically stands without legs. He'll add the 5/8 threaded tap if you want. I've been very happy with my stand and would reccomend them. 201-261-2160

See this thread for more info:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=2456.0

If you decide to get one, please post with how much it cost as their website is a bit lacking.

That sounds like what I'm looking for exactly.  I'll definitely give him a call and see if he can do what I need.  +T

I'm beginning to think that maybe I should just buy another one of the stands I already have and do some minor surgery on it.  It was only 70 bucks or so.

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2006, 12:53:01 PM »
I got something like this
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5364&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Thanks for that, Fozzy - I don't know why, but I've always had a tough time tracking that sucker down online.  (I suck at the internets.)  If one doesn't have length restrictions, that looks like the way to go.  I have a custom pole (paid about double) because I need the pole to shrink down enough to fit on my motorcycle, and 3' just isn't small enough.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2006, 01:08:47 PM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=5364&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

Thanks for that, Fozzy - I don't know why, but I've always had a tough time tracking that sucker down online.  (I suck at the internets.)  If one doesn't have length restrictions, that looks like the way to go.  I have a custom pole (paid about double) because I need the pole to shrink down enough to fit on my motorcycle, and 3' just isn't small enough.

Yea it does kinda suck at that length.  The nice thing about the Bogen model is that it has a Female 5/8 on the bottom, also already has a 3/8 threaded tip so all you need is a 3/8 > 5/8 adpater.  Great to clamp onto a seat w/ a little superclam + accesorey magic or to boom out over/under a railing. 
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2006, 01:26:12 PM »

Yea it does kinda suck at that length.  The nice thing about the Bogen model is that it has a Female 5/8 on the bottom, also already has a 3/8 threaded tip so all you need is a 3/8 > 5/8 adpater.  Great to clamp onto a seat w/ a little superclam + accesorey magic or to boom out over/under a railing. 

Man, that pole is exactly what I need.  I'm not a ninja with BH Photo Video's search so I didn't see that one when I searched.  And 3' isn't too big at all.  Especially considering that my current stand is over 4' when collapsed.  +T for sure!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.128 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com