Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: swapping out the sound track on a DVD (Mac OS X)  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
swapping out the sound track on a DVD (Mac OS X)
« on: March 08, 2006, 12:02:17 AM »
Can anyone recommend how to go about replacing the audio track on a DVD?  I have several DVDs of the Hornsby (and sometimes Kimock etc.) run at Yoshi's in 1998, the audio is quite watchable in my opinion but the audio seems to be from the built in mic of the camcorder, but I have very nice sounding SBDs and/or AUDs of most of these shows.  So, I'd like to swap in the SBD/AUD audio.  Can anyone recommend how I would go about doing this, in Mac OS X, ideally using free software?

Alternately, anyone interested in doing this for me?  I can provide the DVD and the audio.

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
Re: swapping out the sound track on a DVD (Mac OS X)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 01:47:39 AM »
Not as easy as you might think.  The video and audio on a DVD are on the same file.  This is known as being "multiplexed". To replace the audio, you're going to have to "demux" the audio and video files, then re-author the dvd.  Actually, before you author the DVD, you'll have to make sure that the new audio source syncs with the video and that they're the same length and everything.  Then you can open the files in a program like DVD Lab (though, that's XP... not sure about OS X) and put them together as a new DVD.

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 03:56:27 PM »
Thanks, I do realize that delay will be an issue but I'm hoping I can use the same general approach people use to making matrices after the fact.  And it seems to me, correct me if I'm wrong, that the tolerances are a little looser matching up audio to video than matching up two audio streams where you have to worry about audible phase effects etc. as well.

Offline hummat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Videos in Progress or Completed
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 05:19:56 PM »
To do this, you'll want to open both video and audio in a video editing program to sync them up.  The problem being that the DVD video is already compressed, so even if you were to import the .vob file into something like Final Cut, you'd be started with compressed data, then re-compressing it on the back end after the vid/audio sync.  And we all know that's just no a good idea

My guess is "no", but do you have access to the original video tapes?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com