Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need mic recommendations ($600-800)  (Read 6786 times)

Offline macroint

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Jeff's List
Need mic recommendations ($600-800)
« on: May 04, 2006, 12:18:11 PM »
Putting together a second rig for use at All Good...have all the primary ingredients except mics. I think I'm gonna be limited to using my credit card for this purchase, allotting myself about $600 (another $200 to remove "about"). I currently use SP-C4's and love them!

I'm not a mic geek and don't list configurations in my info files...so dumb it down if you use geek-speak. I'm looking for model recommendations as well as online retailers. I tape primarily in smaller venues. I'd prefer (but not required) small mics like the C4's (condensers?). As for mic recommendations, if you know a show available for download with those mics, let me know...

Also, while I'm at it...is there a screen available that you can put almost 360 degrees around the mics (or at least 180 degrees) that blocks extraneous noise? At both Sonar-Club stage and The Talking Head, beer bottles thrown in trash bins are killing me.

Thanks....
Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: Need mic recommendations ($600-800)
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 01:11:16 PM »
a screen will not stop the beer bottle noise.  You just need a more directional microphone. 
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 02:13:16 PM »
are you looking for the option of multiple caps as well? you could get a pair of km-184s within that price range if you just want a nicer pair of cards.

i'd concur that you probably could use some hyper caps to reject more of the bar noise. maybe check into the pelusos - you could get a matched set with a single pair of caps for right around 600 if you want to spend the full 800 you can probably get another set of caps. if you really want to step it up sell the c4s and get a pair of 463 or 483s if you can find a used pair.

i know you said you'd like something small like the C4s but you could also grab a pair of ADK TLs and have 4 patterns and still keep the c4s for when you want something small.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 02:17:36 PM »
Peluso CEMC6 is not too much larger than the C4's. A worthy upgrade, IMO, as well.

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 03:40:20 PM »
SP LSD2 = $549.
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 04:44:42 PM »
If you already have c-4 why not wait for the hypercaps they are testing?  That will kill alot of bottle noise.  Just a thought.
Clint

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2006, 06:07:26 PM »
have to throw in my recommendation for a pair of ADK 51 TL's....4 patterns, phat sound, great price
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2006, 06:23:32 PM »
I second the TL's!! I love them and their is no turnin' back. I also had (have) C4's and the multipatterns of the TL's are sweet especially like the omni's w/ J-disc. Can't waite to run them Blumlein and see what they can do.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

stirinthesauce

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2006, 09:04:00 PM »
Another vote on the Peluso's.  Sets are starting to show up used for around 5ish with used caps for low to mid 100's  New matched set from soundpure 600+ with matched caps at 185.  cards, hypers, subs, omnis, and the acitves coming soon(not soon enough :P )  If you want to hear some recording in different  venues, I've got 3 or 4 going on etree right now.  I've got nothing but good things to say about these mics.  Great highs, bass that never ends, very detailed, transparent.  Good luck on your search.
-Jon

Offline macroint

• Jeff's List
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2006, 09:09:27 PM »
I'm leaning towards the Peluso CEMC6...I can get it new, with 3 of the 4 caps offered (card, hyper card, wide card & omni) for about $985. On the other hand, I just got a raise, a good one....so I can afford, and I'm willing to spend, up to $1200, but, again, have to use credit not cash.

Peluso CEMC6>PS-2>AD-20>NJB3

SUPPORT LOCAL MUSIC
http://baltimore-taper.blogspot.com

RebelRebel

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2006, 10:01:13 PM »
Pelusos would probably be the most flexible of all those mentioned.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2006, 04:41:41 AM »
I'm leaning towards the Peluso CEMC6...I can get it new, with 3 of the 4 caps offered (card, hyper card, wide card & omni) for about $985. On the other hand, I just got a raise, a good one....so I can afford, and I'm willing to spend, up to $1200, but, again, have to use credit not cash.

I would seriously consider upgrading your pre/adc.  I really think the AD20 is not very good at all.  I base this on both listening and from looking at the circuit.  I believe that it is a *low noise* pre, but it is not a *low distortion* one.  The ADC is OK, but the pre in front is limiting it.  I would rate a (stock) UA5 significantly better.  Or a DMIC20.  My only guess is that the AD20 was made for film (sound effects, dialog) and not for music.  It is too bad, because it is a convenient and well-constructed piece of gear.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RebelRebel

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2006, 05:57:17 AM »
Not new, no. Probably not even used . They are spendy.

Pelusos would probably be the most flexible of all those mentioned.

QFT.  Can he swing a pair of MG's in that price range, Teddy?

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2006, 11:45:41 AM »

I would seriously consider upgrading your pre/adc.  I really think the AD20 is not very good at all.  I base this on both listening and from looking at the circuit.  I believe that it is a *low noise* pre, but it is not a *low distortion* one.  The ADC is OK, but the pre in front is limiting it.  I would rate a (stock) UA5 significantly better.  Or a DMIC20.  My only guess is that the AD20 was made for film (sound effects, dialog) and not for music.  It is too bad, because it is a convenient and well-constructed piece of gear.

Richard

I disagree with your assessment on the AD20.  Some of my best recordings ever were made using the AD20 in the chain.  It definitely sounds better than a digi-mod UA5.  No question.  I've owned both and still have the AD20.  Most transparent pre out there.  More so than the V3.  Not saying its better than the V3, though.

EDIT:  Here's a sample below:

AKG 483s > Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD20 > JB3

(Sorry for the hijack  :-\)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2006, 12:03:35 PM by spyder9 »

Offline T-90

• Trade Count: (7)
  • ya aint gotta do what ya aint gotta do
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2006, 03:06:53 PM »

Richard

I disagree with your assessment on the AD20.  Some of my best recordings ever were made using the AD20 in the chain.  It definitely sounds better than a digi-mod UA5.  No question.  I've owned both and still have the AD20.  Most transparent pre out there.  More so than the V3.  Not saying its better than the V3, though.

EDIT:  Here's a sample below:

AKG 483s > Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD20 > JB3

(Sorry for the hijack  :-\)

I agreee that the AD-20 is a good sounding unit.....ive been pleased with it to the point that i have no probs upgrading my mics before my pre....the c4>ps2>ad20>jb3 is a great sounding combo for the cost and simple to use....i also am looking to get some better mics soon, prob in the same price range to run with the ps2/ad20...this thread caught my eye :)
"I dont sing...I dont dance...and I dont like to be around anyone who does" D.Letterman
DPA 4023, AT4051a, AT4053a
Countryman B3, AT853(4.7k,c,sc,h)
V3, FP24, Bm2p+ UA5, ST9100
OCM Edirol R-44, Sony PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com