Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ISO Gear Bag Recommendations  (Read 7329 times)

Offline Oysterhead00

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
    • My Ugly Page In Need Of A Huge Makeover
ISO Gear Bag Recommendations
« on: July 20, 2006, 11:38:17 AM »
After upgrading all my equiptment, adding pieces, going to 15' cables that take up a ton of space, getting some gaffer tape, etc I need to upgrade my gear bag.  While I'd LOVE to get a SoniCase, I'm not ready to shell out $200 on a bag.  Anybody have any good "Poor Man's SoniCase" recommendations?  I've seen some decent $40 - $50 camera bags that are pretty customizable in side and might be possiblities, but thought I'd ask if anybody has any sub $75 suggestions. 

While I'm at it, anybody know of a good Light Stand bag?  My stand is over 45" closed so the Mic Supply bag is too short and some of the larger tube bags (seen them that measure up to 61" long) would be a tight squeeze with how big the legs and base area is even folded up.  The diameter of those bags is cutting it a bit close and I'd be worried about getting one and then have a $30 bag collecting dust in my closet because my stand doesn't fit.
Big Rig:  SMK-H8K/U or MSH-1O > PS-2 > AD-20 > CJB3
Sm Rig:  SS DSM-6S (or SP-CMC-12 > SPBM-2)  > MD-MT77
ISO: Cheap iRiver 120 or 140 :)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: ISO Gear Bag Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 11:47:26 AM »
I use a Mountainsmith Day pack whenever possible.  Fantastic bag for whatever.  Two years in the Peace Corps hiking and camping all around Georgia with it and not a single rip or scratch.

I also have a Targus RakGear bag, but the damn thing is too big in the taper section for my tastes.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:52:05 AM »
light stand bad...the big tamrac one I have, but honestly only use it when I travel...

I would also recommend the mountainsmith stuff...I have the cairn and it works great...

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 12:05:52 PM »
LowePro Nova4 or 5 depending on how much room you need.  Lots of space and dividers so it is very configurable.

Be careful with getting a backpack as some venues don't allow them anymore.

EDIT:
Once really nice thing is the LowePro is all weather... it has a 'hood' built in to protest from rain and dust.

In a 4 I fit:
20' silverpath XLRs
R-4
Pelican 1060 with 480s and caps
Shure vert bar
Shure wind screens
Sabrasom shocks
SVU-1
2 DVD batteries
Cables/Adapters for SBD patch
Misc flashlight, etc.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 12:13:07 PM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline anhisr

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 12:09:18 PM »
I second the LowePro 4 or 5.  Sounds like the 5 would be more up your alley with the XLRs
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 01:01:14 PM by anhisr »
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
  • All my life there's been the magnets.
    • Lucky
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 12:42:34 PM »
It may be a little more ghetto chic that you're looking to go, but I use a $5 tackle bag that I got at wally world and built a custon cage for my pre/ad and it works great. Not as fancy and doesn't have the dividers that you'd get with a LowePro, but it's much cheaper.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 12:51:55 PM »
LowePro Nova4 or 5 depending on how much room you need.  Lots of space and dividers so it is very configurable.

Be careful with getting a backpack as some venues don't allow them anymore.

I was looking at a couple of the LowePro ones at Best Buy and did like them...that's a ton of gear to fit into one!  A couple picky questions if you don't mind:

I have an AD-20 and SP-2 that I just recently got and it seems like having both of them along with the CJB3 could lead to some overheating issues.  The lowepro bags, with their dividers for lenses, looks like I could put the AD-20 and SP-2 on the bottom of the case and then make a "platform" out of out of the velcro dividers to sit the CJB3 on top of them.  That would leave the sides for other gear, extra cable, etc.  Is that a smart idea?  When you tape at an outdoor venue (even if covered), do you leave the top of the bag open the whole time to avoid overheating?  Will keeping it open allow the potentially damaging hot air an avenue of escape and make stacking them and stuff be possible?  I just recently upgraded from AT853s and having no kind of A/D or PreAmp so I don't have any real experience with any potential issues with them.

On a side note I have a nice padded with compartments Swiss Army backpack with connected side pockets etc that would be great, but like you said venues have something against backpacks.  You can have a 50 gallon purse if you're a girl and that's fine.  And bringing in 30lbs of electronics that could be a bomb for all they know and a stand that could be a disguised rifle is no problem so long as it's not in the ever dangerous backpack from hell.  Taping DMB at Hartford they woudln't let me bring in my old camera case...but they had a couple WalMart plastic bags so I had to walk in with my stuff in 2 of them!  Must have been the security guard I got as I saw other tapers with HUGE bags :(

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 12:55:26 PM »
It may be a little more ghetto chic that you're looking to go, but I use a $5 tackle bag that I got at wally world and built a custon cage for my pre/ad and it works great. Not as fancy and doesn't have the dividers that you'd get with a LowePro, but it's much cheaper.

I think I have you out ghettoed (is that a word?) with my cooler :)

Though it does fit all my stuff and my Superlux mics case fit's perfectly on top:

Worried about the heat issues and looking to integrate my mics, bar, mount, etc into a one case solution

treespine

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 12:59:23 PM »
I use a Camping Chair bag for my mic/light stands.  The top of my stand sticks out the top a little, but they make bigger chairs. 

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 01:04:00 PM »
I use a Camping Chair bag for my mic/light stands.  The top of my stand sticks out the top a little, but they make bigger chairs. 

Did the exact same thing with my old 2-piece 8' stand.  Combining that with with my cooler made me look quite funny walking into indoor venues.  At least the bag was from a Dallas Cowboys chair.  This light stand is like 4' at it's most compact setting.  It's no hassle to just carry it, but it can get a little tricky navigating crowds so slinging it over my shoulder would be convinient...and the bag would provide a little bit of protection from anybody I hit with it (or who run into it)....protection for THEM getting hit in the shin by a giant piece of metal.  Not worried about hurting the stand :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2006, 01:10:41 PM by Oysterhead00 »

treespine

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 01:09:01 PM »

Did the exact same thing with my old 2-piece 8' stand.  Combining that with with my cooler made me look quite funny walking into indoor venues.  At least the bag was from a Dallas Cowboys chair.  This light stand is like 4' at it's most compact setting.  It's no hassle to just carry it, but it can get a little tricky navigating crowds so slinging it over my shoulder would be convinient...and the bag would provide a little bit of protection from anybody I hit with it (or who run into it).

Not to mention the bottom of the stand bag is a great place to hide stuff.

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 01:27:32 PM »
I have an AD-20 and SP-2 that I just recently got and it seems like having both of them along with the CJB3 could lead to some overheating issues.  The lowepro bags, with their dividers for lenses, looks like I could put the AD-20 and SP-2 on the bottom of the case and then make a "platform" out of out of the velcro dividers to sit the CJB3 on top of them.  That would leave the sides for other gear, extra cable, etc.  Is that a smart idea?  When you tape at an outdoor venue (even if covered), do you leave the top of the bag open the whole time to avoid overheating?  Will keeping it open allow the potentially damaging hot air an avenue of escape and make stacking them and stuff be possible?  I just recently upgraded from AT853s and having no kind of A/D or PreAmp so I don't have any real experience with any potential issues with them.

I put everyting in mine vertical, when I had a JB3 I just placed it on top after setting up.  I usually just leave the top open unless I am in an area where somone might spill or rain/etc may be a factor.  I've had the JB3 overheat but I live in Arizona so that is probably a big factor.

With the nova I tried 3 or 4 different setups once I got it until I found one I really liked.  You can probably find it cheeper online, but if you want pick one up at best buy and try a few configs at home and if you don't like it take it back.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline gewwang

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 01:32:16 PM »
The new line of Mountainsmith camera bags are great though probably out of the sub $75 price range. I've been using a Mountainsmith Reflex II XXL ($144 from ebags) for transporting all my electronics (taping gear, laptop, PSP, and about 6 different chargers) in flying every week. The only real difference between these and other camera bags is the rubber bottom but it just feels more solid because of it.

I think the Reflex II XL is considerably smaller and might retail around $80.

Offline grider

• always give more than you take
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 02:09:30 PM »
and the upgrading begins....

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2006, 02:26:43 PM »
The new line of Mountainsmith camera bags are great though probably out of the sub $75 price range. I've been using a Mountainsmith Reflex II XXL ($144 from ebags) for transporting all my electronics (taping gear, laptop, PSP, and about 6 different chargers) in flying every week. The only real difference between these and other camera bags is the rubber bottom but it just feels more solid because of it.

Wow, that Reflex II XXL looks amazing with all those compartments and the rubber bottom looks like you could lay it down in a creek and not have to worry about it getting wet.  I'm going to poke around and check out the XL options...at 7" x 12.5" x 6" it sounds big enough to fit my gear and that rubber bottom would provide some peace of mind.  While you have the much larger bag, how deep is the front pocket...deep enough to fit a pair rolled up 15' XLR cable?  Cheap and fat AudioTechnica ones, not the more expensive nice slim kind :)  If so, I have no doubts that I could fit everything else inside and have room to spare.  THANKS.

Here's a link to a PDF about the product line if anybody else is interested:
http://www.rabbitusa.com/Marcas/Mountainsmith/Files/Fall05CameraBrochure.pdf

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2006, 03:12:10 PM »

I think I have you out ghettoed (is that a word?) with my cooler :)

Hmmm... I'd say it's pretty even, although I do have a bunch of compartments and such.

Though it does fit all my stuff and my Superlux mics case fit's perfectly on top:

As long as you're upgrading your bag you might as well get a Pelican for your Mics. You can barely see mine under the JB3. Fits my adks or my akgs with shocks. Tucks in the bag nicely and they're nearly indestructible.
Pockets full of nickels and nothing left to eat, and I'm stuck behind a semi on Soniat Street.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2006, 04:11:07 PM »
I am a BIG believer in the LowePro bags.  Right now I am using the Magnum but also have a Nova 5 as well.  They are extremely well made, have a rain fly and the company has always done me right with any help i've needed.  There are several online retailers for them but I think I have gotten both of mine off of an online store on ebay.

I have taped at a few shows in the last 12 months where the 'backpack' subject came up.  It does seem like there is starting to be a change in policy for some venues concerning backpacks.  For the record my LowePro camera type bag seems to have always flown under the radar.

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2006, 10:50:19 PM »
Just purchased a Plano 3335 from Wal MArt for $30CDN. Is a tackle bag w/ a hard shell top, rubber bottom and 3 pockets. With a little foam, and some ingenuity, I run a UA5 vertically and have enough room for the JB3, D7 (back-up & levels) and RC battery. Top pocket is perfect for SP C4's and the cables, side pockets for patch cables, extra batts, flashlight, camera, DAT tapes, etc...
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 08:47:38 PM »

After much debate, I ended up going with the Mountainsmith Reflex II XL.  I really liked the Novo5 and it was a bit cheaper (if you want one, GO TO eBAY!), but it was about the same size and I really liked the rubber moulded bottom on this as I do a lot of bar taping and the floors can be quite disgusting.  I also like the color....silly, but for some reason important to me.  Did a quite of bit of searching on the Web and this is the best price I could find if anybody is interested - $71.96 with no tax or shipping (3 - 7 day ground).

http://www.bagselect.com/index.cfm?page=display:product&productid=05%2D81021%2D08&finish=Warm%20Grey%2DBlack&manufacturer=Mountainsmith

I appreciate everybody's input!

Offline Diamond_D

• Taperssection Member
  • Who's not honoring me now?
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 10:35:04 PM »
Ritz and Wolf Camera Stores (at most malls I've been to) have appropriately sized bags for nice prices ($25-$50). I've used a small Quantaray one for about a year, and it is very nicely made, though I like the rubber bottom feature of the Mountainsmiths on this thread here.

SP-C4's > Canare Star Quads > UA5 (bm2p+) > H120

"Drums, Guitars, and Death. They finally got it right."
        Beavis & Butthead

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 11:34:33 PM »
Congrats on the new bag Dave...have you considered a lax stick bag for your stand? Mine is probably about as long folded  up, and while it's not much for padding or protection, it's nice to just sling over my shoulder...
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2006, 11:52:30 AM »
Congrats on the new bag Dave...have you considered a lax stick bag for your stand? Mine is probably about as long folded  up, and while it's not much for padding or protection, it's nice to just sling over my shoulder...

Thanks.  A quick look online showed that they are typically 73" long (that's taller than me!) and can be had for about $20.  I'm going to check out Dick's later to see what they have...thanks for the tip!

Offline greenone

« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2006, 11:03:43 PM »
73" sounds WAY too long...my bag is out in the car but I'm sure it's somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.5' or 4', so 42" to 48". It's a Brine bag...might actually be a women's stick bag; I just found this one on eBay and it looks just like mine except the color is different. Looks like it's 45 inches:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gently-Used-Girls-Lacrosse-Brine-Stick-Bag-Black-45-in_W0QQitemZ150006175656QQihZ005QQcategoryZ16043QQcmdZViewItem
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 07:17:50 AM »
Yeah, that sounded waaaaaaaay too big, but a quick eBay search on Lacrosse Bags and all of them that had sizes in the description said 73".

Went to Dicks, Sports Authority and a couple other local sporting goods stores and apparently it's the season where they carry TONS of lacross sticks, but all the bags in the section are for field hockey!  No luck finding a bag in store.  They have some really cheap online, but no measurements and I didn't want something 6' long.  I'll have to do some more investigating and see if I can find a website with measurements for some of the other bags.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WARRIOR-LACROSSE-LAX-DEFENSE-STICK-BAG-73-INCH-STX_W0QQitemZ110010329057QQihZ001QQcategoryZ16043QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I can't picture anybody playing lacrosse with a stick bigger than them!

Offline greenone

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2006, 08:52:01 AM »
Ah, that's it...defenders' sticks are longer than attackers. That much I know (Viv coaches lacrosse at our school) - never played a minute of lacrosse in my life.

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2006, 12:53:15 PM »
Went to Modell's on my lunch break and they had a bag that looked pretty close to the right size and was $30.  Decided to give it a try and it rang up for $15!  Love suprises like that.  Also, I had the stand in my car and it's a PERFECT fit, you'd think it was made exactly for the stand.  It's such a tight fit that I have to take the brass mounting thingie off for it to fit...could PROBABLY squeeze it in there, but that would rip a hole in it in no time.  Besides, there a little zipper compartment on the side to keep it in.

Dave, thanks again for the suggestion....now I might look semi-respectible with a nice bag for my gear and my stand slung over my shoulder.  Now I just have to make sure I don't break my damn gear at the shows :)  With the new larger bag I'll ALWAYS carry my old MD Recorder and AT853 mics just in case....

I know a lot of poeple have this stand from eBay which is still 44" folded down to minimum size:
http://cgi.ebay.com/13-TALL-PRO-HEAVY-DUTY-AIR-CUSHIONED-LIGHT-STANDS-NEW_W0QQitemZ7623073453QQihZ017QQcategoryZ30080QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's the bag I got if anybody is interested:
http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1871055&cp=&page=2&keywords=lacrosse+bag&searchId=5710680754&doVSearch=no&doVSearch=no&clickid=topnav_search_img&pageBucket=0&parentPage=search

Offline greenone

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2006, 04:18:28 PM »
Nice! I use the zippered compartment for the eyebolt that replaced the bottom knob when it broke off...it's a handy little compartment. It looks like yours is padded, is it?

As for looking semi-respectable...nah, never. We're shifty, dammit...

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2006, 04:50:13 PM »
It's "padded" in that there are two tiny little layers of fabric...it's not going to protect anybody from my carelessness, but it's very easy to sling over the shoulder so it's sticking straight up so everybody's shins should be spared.

I actually went back to Modell's and exchanged it for a different one...same make and model, just didn't have the silver on the end...that was actually a rigid reflective material that made folding it up a little difficult.  This one is very flimsy and I can fold it up and stick it my bag and not worry about losing it or anything. 

Here it is with my stand in there so you can see just how snug it is.  Made my stand legs look like a bumble bee with some bright yellow tape too.  Shinning a little flashlight at the legs make them quite noticeable so I think that the glowing from my gear under it might light it up enough to deter some drunks from banging into it.  At least hopefully deter ME from stumbling into it.  Have a couple bar/club shows coming up and I'll see if it decreases the drunk bumps, or draws more drunks to it like a bug zapper attracts mosquitoes :)

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 02:08:10 PM »
As long as you're upgrading your bag you might as well get a Pelican for your Mics. You can barely see mine under the JB3. Fits my adks or my akgs with shocks. Tucks in the bag nicely and they're nearly indestructible.

Just got a Pelican 1060 with pick and pluck foam (or whatever) on eBay.  My bag should be here on Monday, now I just need to find some shows to go tape :)

Offline Oysterhead00

• Taperssection Member
  • Rock This Bitch
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2006, 08:00:45 PM »

Got the bag and it's GREAT.  Fits a ton of stuff:

Outside pocket on flap: 
Pretty much all the misc cables I had laying around

Side pockets:  
Empty

Rear unzipped pocket
This looks to be for maps or other thin things...probably where I'll keep my tickets.

Underflap pocket:
Backup MD recorder (learned my lesson breaking my CJB)
Lots of batteries
Leatherman tool
Redlight Flashlight

Inside Pocket:
External AA Battery Pack for CJB
Lion Battery and cable
Earbud headphones

Inside:
CJB3 (In Crown Royale bag)
AD-20
SP-2
2 Superlux mics (In Crown Royale bags)
Pen with 2 sizes of Gaffer Tape wrapped around them
2 15' XLR Cables
3' Toslink > Miniplug Cable
AKG T-Bar
2 SSM Shockmounts
2 Windscreens.

Ghetto weight estimate is about 13lbs (me standing on the scale with and without the bag)

Still plenty of room for more and I LOVE the rubber bottom to keep it dry and it can probably withstand a hell of a drop withouth any chance of damage to the contents.  When the cables are out, I can probably take out one divider and stick it sideways to make a platform for the CJB3 to sit on so I don't have to jostle it to check the levels or anything (which is how I broke my other one).  The bag just came today too so I'll probably try a dozen more configurations before I decide on one I really like.  Have plenty of room in my lacrosse stick bag for the large XLR cables if I were to get any new toys or anything else I needed to make room for. 
A great bag for the price, but I can see a lot of you gear slutz out there being able to fill up 3 of these...I can only hope that I one day outgrow it too :)  I think the bag is slightly shorter than a Nova5, but maybe a little deeper and the pockets seem a bit bigger (looser allowing more junk in them).

Offline anodyne33

• You'll have that
    • Lucky
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2006, 11:05:08 PM »

Just got a Pelican 1060 with pick and pluck foam (or whatever) on eBay.  My bag should be here on Monday, now I just need to find some shows to go tape :)

Awesome! That bag looks great. Now go tape some shows with that stuff! ;D

+T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 55 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com