Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Split Omnis Vs. DINa Cards (or hypers) on stage  (Read 5966 times)

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
Re: Split Omnis Vs. DINa Cards (or hypers) on stage
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 10:13:06 PM »
Whoot..... Just talked to the tour manager.... No snake but got full run of the house.  4 mics on stage plus a SBD feed to the iRiver.  Was even invited to dinner after the sound check. :-}

So now the question.... Is it better to run the mod460s or the 480s with the cards in the middle and the others with the omnis on the outside?
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2006, 10:25:01 PM »
Cool... I really like Lotus... Going to have to check that out tonight.

i thought it would give you a decent idea what the straight stage-lip/onstage sounds like compared to a yummy matrix

here is the last time i taped them, our SBD got f'd up somehow so there is no SBD to matrix it to, listen to tip of the toungue for what vocals sound like when onstage, not great but enjoyable, but thats the only vocalks lotus has so.........

http://www.archive.org/details/lotus2006-04-27.481.flac16
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 04:48:42 PM »
Why not just run the R4 back at the SBD? Stage lip is nice and all, but if the choice is onstage AUD only vs. SBD+AUD back at board, I'd be inclined to take the later in most cases (exception might be for all acoustic). Another option to minimize extra gear is to patch the SBD with the iRiver by itself (no UA5). That would eliminate one bigger piece of gear, and I'm not that sure the UA5's A/D is that much better than the iRiver anyway, is it?
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 05:57:29 PM »
Why not just run the R4 back at the SBD? Stage lip is nice and all, but if the choice is onstage AUD only vs. SBD+AUD back at board, I'd be inclined to take the later in most cases (exception might be for all acoustic). Another option to minimize extra gear is to patch the SBD with the iRiver by itself (no UA5). That would eliminate one bigger piece of gear, and I'm not that sure the UA5's A/D is that much better than the iRiver anyway, is it?

It is almost immpossible to run mics back at the board at this particular venue.  The SBD is located under the stairs, next to the entrance.

Dana, I wouldn't fret too much about crowd noise.  I've run stage lip there a few times, and the volume is usually so loud that the crowd noise is not really a factor.

This is a stagelip tape I did at that venue earlier this year:  http://www.archive.org/details/breakfast2006-03-30.aud.flac16

AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2006, 06:07:37 PM »
Cool... Am borrowing another set of silvers from Brian tonight and going to run cards and split omnis on stage then patch into the board with the iRiver.  Should be fun.  You going to the show?

Will probably take the same setup up to their next show in Sedona and then do Spoonfed Tribe in Flag the next night.  Need to find a cheep room in Sedona or I guess I could just camp but it's pretty hot.

BTW.... thanks to terrapinj for the loan of the 460s!!!! Mega T+.

Offline JiB97

• My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2006, 06:13:38 PM »
Cool... Am borrowing another set of silvers from Brian tonight and going to run cards and split omnis on stage then patch into the board with the iRiver.  Should be fun.  You going to the show?

Will probably take the same setup up to their next show in Sedona and then do Spoonfed Tribe in Flag the next night.  Need to find a cheep room in Sedona or I guess I could just camp but it's pretty hot.

BTW.... thanks to terrapinj for the loan of the 460s!!!! Mega T+.

It is tonight correct?  what time does it start?
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline china_rider

• Taperssection All-Star
    • AZTapers
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2006, 06:20:35 PM »
Nope... It is Thursday.  I think showtime is 10pm.

EDIT: $5

Offline JiB97

• My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2006, 06:37:33 PM »
Nope... It is Thursday.  I think showtime is 10pm.

EDIT: $5

Cool, if I am still in town I will be there for sure. 
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

easy jim

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2006, 07:34:41 PM »
Whoot..... Just talked to the tour manager.... No snake but got full run of the house.  4 mics on stage plus a SBD feed to the iRiver.  Was even invited to dinner after the sound check. :-}

So now the question.... Is it better to run the mod460s or the 480s with the cards in the middle and the others with the omnis on the outside?

Just FYI re: access to the house's snake. 

No tour manager will tell you house snake access is OK without clearing it with the engineer on the spot the day of the show, so tour managers will typically either say "no" or "we'll see at the show."  It is generally difficult to know how many channels the engineer will have available ahead of time, which is compounded by multiple acts with overlapping set-ups.  I would not rule out access to the house snake, however, until you get there and ask the engineer.  If you are showing up "with the band" and have full permissions, the engineer should be as cooperative as professionalism requires in his opinion (we know how this goes with some sound guys  ::) ).

If he/she is cool and there are two open channels, you should have no problem running your stage mics through the house's snake.  If you want to make the engineer even more comfortable with the idea if he/she seems reluctant, ask to directly patch from the snake output lines on the 2 channels you would be using (prob. will be XLR males that plug into the direct inputs on the SBD) with your own cables.  Or, ask to take the direct out feeds from those two channels, but then make sure to be on the same page as to who is powering the mics before plugging things in to your R4 and leave the phantom power switches to off when you power up.

With 4 mics on stage, your set up should be flexible based on the bands' set-up and may need to change for different bands with different stage plots.  Also thanks to Mikey's (terrapinj) JW mod 460s, I ran a 6 channel a couple weeks ago.  2 channels from the SBD, a cardioid pair in the center, and 2 additional cardioids as spot mics to fatten the sound of what I expected to come out distant on the center pair.   I used the JW mod 461s DINa on the stage lip with the drums centered and my 451s as spot mics w/ one on the keys amps and one on the guitar amp.  I knew the set-up and relative stage volumes ahead of time which helped me plan my set up. 

In your case, you will want to decide when you see the stage set-up how best to run.  4 cardioids may be better, depending on the situation.  Although the growing fetish on this site for split omnis has merit sonically in many cases, it is a technique that has a lot more pitfalls when it comes to stage taping.  Omnis pick up a lot of things besides more crowd noise that cardioids will reject, like the click of a guitarist's foot pedal or stage banter during songs and not just between. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 07:39:09 PM by easyjim »

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 12:38:11 AM »
BTW, more info regarding house snakes... A set of two pairs of XLR "turnarounds" (2x m-2-m and 2x f-2-f) can be your best friend when the engineer seems like they might accomodate you but doesn't have extra channels. The turnarounds will let you use the snake's "returns" which may be free when the rest of the channels are taken. Anyway, just a thought -- definitely a pro-taper move that the engineer often doesn't expect, heh. They say something like "they would let you if they had available channels," and then when you ask if they have any returns open, it's just a little harder for them to not let you use them once they've kind of said they would have if they had available channels.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline balou2

• Crippled, but still dancin'
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • He was a friend of mine.
    • Little Mountain Sound Archive
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2006, 12:47:41 AM »
Ditto on the above.  I have never met a tour manager who new full board capabilities ahead of time.  Show up early with extra plans in your head, and be ready for anything.  If you have full run of the venue, and you're there for soundcheck, it shouldn't be too hard to snag two channels on the snake as long as they're available.  Good luck!
Socks are overrated.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com