Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: M/S Situations?  (Read 6449 times)

napa

• Trade Count: (0)
M/S Situations?
« on: July 25, 2006, 08:23:46 AM »
Is there situations when M/S is not good to run? Such loud indoor venues or anything like that? Any bad experiences?

RebelRebel

Re: M/S Situations?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 09:07:34 AM »
Is there situations when M/S is not good to run? Such loud indoor venues or anything like that? Any bad experiences?

M/S is very flexible in that you do a lot with it after the fact..I have had no bad experiences, personally. I use it in situations where I cant use blumlein a lot.

Funny that you ask, a friend of mine is selling a V3 with a M/S modification (switch on the outside) and 10db of extra gain...see the YS//

TEddy

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 09:37:38 AM »
id use MS anywhere EXCEPT from far away from the soundsource.. and like teddy said, anywhere where blumlein is called for, but wouldnt work because of the situation behind on the other side (behind you) the soundsource..  I like MS alot when aptly used..  great staging..

teddy..   why did your friend add 10 db gain to the v3?  there seems like plenty there for most mics and soundsources..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline Scooter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 09:47:37 AM »
i've had a few good pulls lately using M/S slightly FOB at mid size outdoor shows.  i think they came out great!  using both hypers and cards for the M.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

RebelRebel

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 10:44:27 AM »
id use MS anywhere EXCEPT from far away from the soundsource.. and like teddy said, anywhere where blumlein is called for, but wouldnt work because of the situation behind on the other side (behind you) the soundsource..  I like MS alot when aptly used..  great staging..

teddy..   why did your friend add 10 db gain to the v3?  there seems like plenty there for most mics and soundsources..

for ribbon Mics. Ribbons have notoriously low output.

Teddy

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 10:46:38 AM »
speaking of Mid/Side... I ran my LSD2 in this config a few times over the wknd (outdoor festival). my assumption is/was that since the LSD2 is a stereo mic, there's no post-prod necessary to fine-tune these recordings? does anyone know if they LSD2 takes care of mixing the sound automatically? it exports the sound through one 7-pin cable which splits into to standard xlr's...
"Absurdity is the only reality." - FZ

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 10:49:15 AM »
speaking of Mid/Side... I ran my LSD2 in this config a few times over the wknd (outdoor festival). my assumption is/was that since the LSD2 is a stereo mic, there's no post-prod necessary to fine-tune these recordings? does anyone know if they LSD2 takes care of mixing the sound automatically? it exports the sound through one 7-pin cable which splits into to standard xlr's...

LSD2 is basically 2 mics in 1, for M/S you would still need to do the encoding via a pre that does m/s or in post via wavelab/SF/etc...
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 10:51:06 AM »

[snip] or in post via wavelab/SF/etc...

is there an explanation on how to do this somewhere that anyone knows of? yes, I know I'm being lazy... just thought I'd ask first. ;D

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

RebelRebel

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 10:53:25 AM »

you take the "side" part of the recording, and flip the phase..one "side" panned L, one "side"(with flipped phase) panned R..use a M/S encoder(such as waves S1) to adjust the image..

« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 10:55:29 AM by Teddy »

Offline §†∑∫åµÞ≥¥

• You can call me Steve.
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 11:00:03 AM »

you take the "side" part of the recording, and flip the phase..one "side" panned L, one "side"(with flipped phase) panned R..use a M/S encoder(such as waves S1) to adjust the image..

uh oh... it sounds like I should've ran stacked omni's or blumlein instead! ;D :-\ :-X :P

post 5000!!  :spin:

LMA recordings
www.nutritionbulk.com

RebelRebel

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 11:25:30 AM »
It isnt hard, there should be a phase flip option on your editing software...you dont have to use the MS encoder...you can also link the two "side" channels" and adjust them together(linked mode) to get the desired image.

uh oh... it sounds like I should've ran stacked omni's or blumlein instead! ;D :-\ :-X :P

post 5000!!  :spin:

napa

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 12:25:28 PM »
i've had a few good pulls lately using M/S slightly FOB at mid size outdoor shows.  i think they came out great!  using both hypers and cards for the M.

Inside venues?

Offline Scooter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 12:38:43 PM »
i have only run M/S onstage inside.  but again, turned out great.
MBHO 603a(ka200n/ka500hn) >
R-44, or H120

LMA Recordings

napa

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 03:35:04 PM »

What's a good distance?

Offline rowjimmy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • rowjimmy.com
    • Row Knows
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 03:23:42 PM »

for ribbon Mics. Ribbons have notoriously low output.

Teddy

:drool: nice :drool:
Bandcamp | Host of The Brokedown Podcast
mic > wires > recorder

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.186 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com