Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...  (Read 83955 times)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
Re: Let's talk Canon digital SLRs...
« Reply #240 on: May 01, 2008, 11:21:07 AM »
Yeah, I'd always try for L glass when you have the opportunity, even if its more, you usually won't be disappointed and you'll probably never need to replace that lens.

On the other hand, I need to get rid of my 17-40mm f/4L  and find something wider and a bit sharper.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #241 on: May 01, 2008, 11:25:38 AM »
That pic on the past page of mine was made with a 12-24ATX f4 Tokina.  Very wide (on a crop sensor) and is tack sharp.  Easily as sharp as alot of  L glass out there.  I was super impressed with it.  To bad Tokina doesn't make a 16-35 for a full frame  :P

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #242 on: May 01, 2008, 12:17:17 PM »
Here's Taperssection.com equivalent for Canon users. Definitely check this site out, you'll be hooked in no time  ;D

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #243 on: May 01, 2008, 02:52:13 PM »
I used to hang out here a lot back in the day, don't know what its like now, but they used to be very nice, just like this place.  I don't have the time to internet like I used to though, so I haven't been there in almost a year probably.
http://dgrin.com/

stirinthesauce - thanks for the info on that, I'll have to look into it.  It'd be nice to find something as sharp and a bit cheaper than the canon lenses in that field.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline cgrooves

• Taperssection Member
  • Get On the Bus -Busman Audio
« Reply #244 on: May 07, 2008, 10:32:40 AM »
I found my 70-200mm 2.8 lens!:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/539396-REG/Tamron_AF001C_700_70_200mm_f_2_8_Di_LD.html

It just hit the shelves, so there are virtually no reviews yet.  Hopefully it will get high marks like my Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 has (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/423714-REG/Tamron_AF016C700_17_50mm_f_2_8_XR_Di.html).  Love that lens.

The cannon 70-200mm 2.8's were out of my price range and I was pondering a Sigma purchase.  The Sigma lens cost $100 more than the new Tamron lens and doesn't have the best reviews either. 

Just when I thought recording equipment was an expensive hobby, photography came along  ;D
I do seem to be getting some use out of the photo equipment as of late, which can't be said for my audio gear unfortunately.  ::)

AUDIO:
Open:  Busman Audio BSC1-(K1/K2/K3/K4) > Fostex FR-2LE (Busman T Mod) 

Unopen:  AudioReality Omni Mics (Panasonic capsules)> AudioReality Battery Box (depending on SPL's) > iRiver H140 w/ Rockbox

VISUAL:
Canon 7D, Canon 50mm/1.8, Canon 85mm/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm/2.8, Tamron 70-200mm/2.8

stirinthesauce

« Reply #245 on: May 07, 2008, 10:59:16 AM »
Like the 722's and 744's (see my sig), It's all about the white lenses or the red tipped ones  :P  Need some bling bling to pimp your stuff  ;D

Congrats on the new toy, enjoy!

stirinthesauce

« Reply #246 on: May 11, 2008, 12:25:23 AM »
out walking the dog this late afternoon/early evening and brought the cam along.  Everything is blooming nicely.  Wish I had more time to shoot.  Here are a couple three from my walk.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #247 on: May 11, 2008, 09:52:06 PM »
and one from today, went out for a bit.  Cold and extremely windy.  Luckily in the gulf, the wind wasn't bad.  There were some dead times which was what I needed on a 1 sec exposure.

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #248 on: May 11, 2008, 10:00:29 PM »
and one from today, went out for a bit.  Cold and extremely windy.  Luckily in the gulf, the wind wasn't bad.  There were some dead times which was what I needed on a 1 sec exposure.

Very nice! Great composition.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #249 on: May 11, 2008, 10:10:16 PM »

Very nice! Great composition.

thanks.  So much good beauty up here to go capture.  I could spend everyday all day out doing this and never run out of places.  This one I go back to on a regurlar basis as the seasons change.  Went here this winter and the falls were so heavy that it was blasting spray all down the falls.  Tried and tried and couldn't get a decent shot.

Interesting story about this falls.  where I live is a summer resort type place where folks have been coming every summer since 1882.  Well, around 1900-1905, one young dude rode his horse out to these falls.  Folks would take a day trips here as the railroad at that time ran rather close.  Well, this fella (his name and picture is in a book I have) was sorta the local summer dare devil type.  He was on his horse on top of the falls and decided to show off to his friends down bottom swimming.  He rode his horse straight off the top of the falls into the pool below.  A 65'+ jump to the pool below.  Fucking crazy!

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #250 on: May 11, 2008, 10:56:47 PM »
wow, that 65'!  funny how a photograph can skew my perception of scale.  very nice shoot indeed.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

stirinthesauce

« Reply #251 on: May 11, 2008, 10:59:53 PM »
yeah, it's a huge waterfall.  Loud down bottom with that natural ampitheater behind it.  Made a recording of it once.  Almost like whitenoise, so monotonous.

Very nice picture of those flowers!  Looks like your getting the hang of things.  :)

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #252 on: May 12, 2008, 08:07:28 PM »
posted my first ever attempt at a pro sport...ugg!

Pro Cycling
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline jdawg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #253 on: May 12, 2008, 08:23:52 PM »

Pro Cycling

Nice work. So what lens were you using? Didn't see any Exif data, wanted to get an idea of your settings. Is AI Servo the way to go with this type of shoot?

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #254 on: May 12, 2008, 09:03:54 PM »

Pro Cycling

Nice work. So what lens were you using? Didn't see any Exif data, wanted to get an idea of your settings. Is AI Servo the way to go with this type of shoot?

yea.that is one of the downsides of ps2 "save for the web" feature...no exif data

I did use AI servo...but my focusing needs A HUGE amount of work...im not sure if that is the way to go or not...unfortunatly...there isn't a lot of cycling around here ot go practice on  :'(  I used the 70-200 f2.8 IS turned on, and no tri/monopod  I was shooting AI Servo with back * focus MOST of the time...i tried other ways...but never really felt like I got excellent focus...but its from lack of experience i know.  The panning shots i raised my f stop from 2.8 to about 20 and tried to let the shutter stop the action on the rider, while the panning was blurring the background...the other shots where f2.8.
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com