Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Jazz Nonet Setup Specifically for AUD Recording Session?  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Jazz Nonet Setup Specifically for AUD Recording Session?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 04:22:49 PM »
Yeah, I thought about that option as well, but it's worth noting that omnis do have some directionality to them. So, anyone "behind" the direction of the omnis might have their spectrum tampered with a bit. One thought I had to handle that was to raise my stand a bit higher, then use my superclamp on the stand such that I could get the mics on the j-disc pointing down instead of forward.

If you do want to try this, I wouldn't worry too much about the roll-off at the back of the omnis, especially if only the close miced vocals are back there.  You'll get plenty of vocal sparkle from the LD's.  The vibes probably wouldn't suffer much either if you needed to [slide them around to that side to] make room.  I'd be hesitant to raise the J-disk too high or you'll get less separation from leakage underneath if everyone is in pretty close, and a little less close-in Jazz immediacy.  Try the disk vs. the ORTF pair if you can and pick whatever works better if you can get a quick listen.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2006, 04:30:41 PM »
I have no suggestions, I just wanted to comment that thread is fascinating.  T's around.

Backatcha!  This is the stuff that makes TS.com a GREAT site!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline ScottT

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 12:06:04 PM »
I have no suggestions, I just wanted to comment that thread is fascinating.  T's around.

No doubt!

So how did it go?
Mics: Schoeps mk22, mk41, mk8, ADK TLs
Pres: V2, Busman-mod UA5
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70d, Tascam DR-07

"Push out the jive. Bring in the love." - C.M. Burns

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006, 01:22:46 PM »
Well, here's a short version, maybe I'll write more later...

There was a lot of people crammed into a semi-small space, and I ended up not really being able to direct the setup very much -- just didn't seem entirely appropriate (or totally feasible either, but there's a longer version of that story). However, that wasn't too much of a big deal, and at first listen the recording came out pretty damn good -- although the room was small, the acoustics were excellent with treatments on the walls and a carpeted floor, nice and dead/dry for recording.

So, I ran J-Disc omnis as my main stereo pair, and that was just awesomely transparent with a very good image. I then mic'ed the vocalists (who were to the left) with a single LD. The vocalists also sang into 2 SM58s that were feeding a monitor, which was a good and bad thing (the monitor helped me pick up the vocals a bit more, but it didn't sound as pure and the monitor had a slight hiss which was audible at quiet moments). I then had room for one more channel, so I put a card near the bass/vibes thinking they'd be the quietest on the stereo pair mix. After critically listening during the first 15 minutes of rehearsing the first track, I made three crucial changes. I had the guitarist turn up his amp a tiny bit, the violinist turn up his amp a tiny bit, and then I moved that extra card to be directly under the vibes only and away from the bass because I could hear the bass no problem on the omni pair but I couldn't hear the vibes at all despite his playing "louder than normal." Those minor tweaks, made a huge difference for the rest of the day, and I think the recording will serve its "demo" purpose quite nicely...

So, major thanks for all of the ideas guys, the brainstorming helped me be able to deal with the situation as it unfolded and it looks like it made for a successful recording (maybe even one of my personal best)!
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2006, 01:56:02 PM »
 8)  Fantastic!  Nice work, Bay!  Big +T for ya! 
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2006, 02:35:27 PM »
Way to go!  Strong work adjusting to the situation, certainly sounded like a good time for you.  Thanks for sharing how it turned out.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2006, 11:23:27 PM »
Well, here's a short version, maybe I'll write more later...

There was a lot of people crammed into a semi-small space, and I ended up not really being able to direct the setup very much -- just didn't seem entirely appropriate (or totally feasible either, but there's a longer version of that story). However, that wasn't too much of a big deal, and at first listen the recording came out pretty damn good -- although the room was small, the acoustics were excellent with treatments on the walls and a carpeted floor, nice and dead/dry for recording.

So, I ran J-Disc omnis as my main stereo pair, and that was just awesomely transparent with a very good image. I then mic'ed the vocalists (who were to the left) with a single LD. The vocalists also sang into 2 SM58s that were feeding a monitor, which was a good and bad thing (the monitor helped me pick up the vocals a bit more, but it didn't sound as pure and the monitor had a slight hiss which was audible at quiet moments). I then had room for one more channel, so I put a card near the bass/vibes thinking they'd be the quietest on the stereo pair mix. After critically listening during the first 15 minutes of rehearsing the first track, I made three crucial changes. I had the guitarist turn up his amp a tiny bit, the violinist turn up his amp a tiny bit, and then I moved that extra card to be directly under the vibes only and away from the bass because I could hear the bass no problem on the omni pair but I couldn't hear the vibes at all despite his playing "louder than normal." Those minor tweaks, made a huge difference for the rest of the day, and I think the recording will serve its "demo" purpose quite nicely...

So, major thanks for all of the ideas guys, the brainstorming helped me be able to deal with the situation as it unfolded and it looks like it made for a successful recording (maybe even one of my personal best)!

good job

+T

Matt
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com