Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Speaker recommendations $4-5k?  (Read 10123 times)

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Still loves his mic pre's
Re: Speaker recommendations $4-5k?
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2006, 04:23:41 AM »
If you get a new (or used) amp and go 2 channel, this is a great one. The sale is pending, but they pop up every now and then.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatran&1166314965

http://www.pliniusaudio.com/index.asp
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2006, 10:08:59 AM »
Wow,

Thanks for all the input again folks! Thbe only problem is that me and my girl live up in the mountains, and it is not reasonable for us to go around chasing dealers 150+ miles away to hear all these brands. However, we heard some Thiel CS2.4s,which were simply amazing! Anyone have experience with these? Also, they do not even recommend biamping/biwiring which will help with the cable budget a bit. I am interested to hear other speakers, but as I said, we do not live near a big city. Any other suggestions? So far, we loved the B&W 803s, and the Thiel CS2.4, but liked the Thiel better, more "airy", just felt damn real (and significantly cheaper)!

Also, the speakers will be placed right at the front of the "pop out" in the living room, so that should help with relections due to the space they will be placed.

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Bongo Bongo
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2006, 02:46:10 PM »
I love my B+W Nautilus 802s...though I use them for mixing/mastering and not for playback..

Just curious, what are your playback speakers?

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2006, 02:54:26 PM »
Wow,

Thanks for all the input again folks! Thbe only problem is that me and my girl live up in the mountains, and it is not reasonable for us to go around chasing dealers 150+ miles away to hear all these brands. However, we heard some Thiel CS2.4s,which were simply amazing! Anyone have experience with these? Also, they do not even recommend biamping/biwiring which will help with the cable budget a bit. I am interested to hear other speakers, but as I said, we do not live near a big city. Any other suggestions? So far, we loved the B&W 803s, and the Thiel CS2.4, but liked the Thiel better, more "airy", just felt damn real (and significantly cheaper)!

Also, the speakers will be placed right at the front of the "pop out" in the living room, so that should help with relections due to the space they will be placed.

I haven't heard them personally but Thiel has a great reputation and history of excellent speakers. I guess in your situation just listen to whatever is available in your area and go with what sounds best to you. I don't think you can go wrong with either B&W or Thiel.

Take care!
Ben

RebelRebel

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2006, 03:39:43 PM »
Gonna have Nick's 1st Gen VR4s(VSA) and his ICE power amp +Symphonies. He and I made a deal on em.  :) Cant wait!

the 802s were intended for playback use by B+W but a lot of Mastering Engineers use them, so I thought id try em

I love my B+W Nautilus 802s...though I use them for mixing/mastering and not for playback..

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2006, 05:35:26 PM »

the 802s were intended for playback use by B+W but a lot of Mastering Engineers use them, so I thought id try em

Cool. I've been thinking about picking up some Quad electrostats in the future, I've heard these are a favorite of a lot of mastering engineers too.

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2006, 06:17:18 PM »
However, we heard some Thiel CS2.4s,which were simply amazing!

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1105thiel/

Looks like these will perform best with a beefy 4-ohm rated power amplifier.

http://stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/1105thiel/index4.html

(top paragraph)

« Last Edit: October 23, 2006, 06:19:22 PM by BC »

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2006, 07:15:05 PM »
ok...

as a guy who listens to about 80% GD on a daily basis for the past (holy shit) 20 years myself, and as a taper who likes to hear a "live sound".
the Von Schweikerts cant be touched.

for your sized room, the VR2s would rock your world.  or, the VR4jr (USED!@!!!) wouldn't suck either.  Honestly though, I dig the VR2s.

a FAT manley amp behind them...and you are in Phil Heaven.

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2006, 11:37:03 AM »
Von Schweikert.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2006, 01:08:22 AM »
See sig
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2006, 08:05:01 AM »
Sonas Faber GPs are very, very nice.
I think they are a better looking speaker, but they dont have the depth or dynamics of the VR2, which would be in the same price range.
the SFs sound thick and dark to me...but in a good way.  I wouldn't hesitate to own a pair, but I know I'd end up w/VRs eventually.

I've listened to the GPs extensively over the years at various Tweeters.  Most of which were actually in a good sounding room and driven w/decent B&K gear.

Offline EScott

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2006, 10:07:09 AM »
Sonas Faber GPs are very, very nice.
I think they are a better looking speaker, but they dont have the depth or dynamics of the VR2, which would be in the same price range.
the SFs sound thick and dark to me...but in a good way.  I wouldn't hesitate to own a pair, but I know I'd end up w/VRs eventually.

I've listened to the GPs extensively over the years at various Tweeters.  Most of which were actually in a good sounding room and driven w/decent B&K gear.

I listened to the Sonus Fabers before making my selection.  I went with the VR4jrs.  I thought the imaging from the VSA line was better.
"You know the type loud as a motor bike
But wouldn't bust a grape in a fruit fight"

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2006, 11:48:04 AM »
oh yea..
the 4jr's blow the doors off of the GPs, no doubt.

RebelRebel

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2006, 12:20:56 PM »
tony Faulkner uses Quads.
My headphones (Stax) are electrostatic.  ;D

Cool. I've been thinking about picking up some Quad electrostats in the future, I've heard these are a favorite of a lot of mastering engineers too.

Offline Stagger

• Taperssection Member
  • Yep I'm selling my 722-Wife always wins in the end
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2006, 06:34:48 PM »
oh yea..
the 4jr's blow the doors off of the GPs, no doubt.

Depends on what you listend to.I listed to 50% classical and 50% rock. SF GP's and tubes blow to the doors of VR4jr.s on strings and female vocals. The midrange is sooo buttery on violins. That said... If I hadn't moved back to the city I would have sold my Grand Pianos and picked up a pair of Focal 1027be's. I still may do that at some point but they are $7500.00 retail.
Selling: SD 722
Current Setup: AKG c34 > S42 > Kimber Hero > DR-680

Nikon D7000, SB-700, Nikkor 18-200 f3.5-5.6, Nikkor 50 f1.8D, Sigma 10-20 f3.5, and way too many do-dads to list...

Playback: Denon DVD3910>Audio Experiences Symphonies Tube Pre [Electro-Harmonix/12AX7 Gold Pin ]>Rogue 88 Amplifier [Genalex Gold Lion KT88s, ultralinear]>Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home & Martin Logan Depth i - AudioQuest Jaguar and CV-8 DBS cable, Panamax M7500Pro conditioner.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.117 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com