Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Running mics through the snake and phantom  (Read 5736 times)

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
Re: Running mics through the snake and phantom
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2007, 10:58:20 PM »
Also - remember - some/most snakes have channels that go from the board back to the stage...(Not just stage > board..) So you can also run the board feed back through the snake to your deck (which would have to be near the stage/snake  - - another approach.

Yeah, but most likely that will end up being a LONG UNBALANCED run = not good. If you want to take advantage of the "returns," you're way better off using turnarounds (m-to-m and f-to-f XLR adapters) and still running your mics back to the SBD (b/c that will be a balanced run).
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Teen Wolf Blitzer

• It's all ballbearings these days.
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I am Rattus Norvegicus.
    • Support Festival Radio
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2007, 11:30:03 AM »
Don't discount onstage Dana.  I've had great success running matrix this way for HBRSB...although last month when they were here I tried MS 20 feet in front of the stage w/ a board.  I really was happy with that result.  Good luck.  Josh is a way cool soundman.  He'll set ya up and help ya.  I had a bad board channel at that show and he moved shit around till it worked!   ;D

Offline halleyscomet8

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2007, 02:40:19 PM »
Don't discount onstage Dana.  I've had great success running matrix this way for HBRSB...although last month when they were here I tried MS 20 feet in front of the stage w/ a board.  I really was happy with that result.  Good luck.  Josh is a way cool soundman.  He'll set ya up and help ya.  I had a bad board channel at that show and he moved shit around till it worked!   ;D

i second that. josh is a soper nice guy and easy to aproach. have fun and upload it to LMA ;D
my shows on the archive: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/halleyscomet8
And, yes, I know I suck about getting stuff circulated.  ;)

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2007, 08:12:50 PM »
Allow me to throw in my suggestion:
Since omnis are out of the question at the Rhythm room, I would take a board feed and run it into the R4, and either use your 483's or maybe run M/S with TL's.  Hell, you could even run one TL as the side channel, and maybe a 481 as the mid channel.

I have a feeling M/S would sound really nice in the Rhythm Room because of the way those speakers are set-up.  It would be a lot of post-work to blend the SBD and then have to decode M/S, but I feel this might give you the most options, if you don't decide to run onstage and use the house snake.
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2007, 08:57:24 PM »
Hmmmm.... That is an Idea... I have not done m/s yet.  With the location of the SBD it may be hard to get the patch and get the mics in the middle of the room.  My cables are long enough... I guess I could tape them down.  Dammit.... Now you got me thinking.  ::)  If I ran the TLs M/S I could still bring the 480s to run through your rig in case the MS does not turn out.

EDIT: Duh... could hopefully still use the snake for M/S and go stage lip.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 09:04:02 PM by china_rider »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline JiB97

• Trade Count: (12)
    • My Archive Bookmarks
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Hmmmm.... That is an Idea... I have not done m/s yet.  With the location of the SBD it may be hard to get the patch and get the mics in the middle of the room.  My cables are long enough... I guess I could tape them down.  Dammit.... Now you got me thinking.  ::)  If I ran the TLs M/S I could still bring the 480s to run through your rig in case the MS does not turn out.

EDIT: Duh... could hopefully still use the snake for M/S and go stage lip.

Ya, I think that the SBD is probably like no more than 20 ft from where you could set up your stand.

Good call on using the 480s just in case.  Could even run them through your W-Mod, into my JB3 @ 48khz.  Lot of options.  Hopefully Brian will show up, we'll have a nice little section going on.

I'm really hoping the crowd is respectful, and not the typical talk-fest that the Rhythm Room can be.
AKG ck3/ck8 | c460b  + Naiant Actives | PFAs
Audio Technica u853r (omnis/mini-guns)
Tascam DR-70D

My Archive Links

Offline gratefulphish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2007, 11:19:22 PM »

Per a suggestion from mmmatt a while back, I carry around 4 XLR barrels to do just that:  4 x XLR-f | XLR-f barrels + 4 x XLR-m | XLR-m barrels.  Let's me turnaround the snake lines running from board > stage so they then run stage > board.

Did you mean 4 x XLR-M>XLR-F barrels, and vice versa? Otherwise, they just sound like barrel connectors.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2007, 11:24:09 PM »
In response to the OP, in this situation, if there is essentially no on-stage sound, then I would either go with the stand in the room, (but I always get sketched running my cables across traffic, even taping them down) or, it sounds like the PA is up high, so if there is somewhere to clamp up top and hang your mics, and run the cables along the ceiling back to the board avoiding the cables on the ground.  My preferred MO in these situations.  Superclamps rule.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2007, 11:40:51 PM »

Per a suggestion from mmmatt a while back, I carry around 4 XLR barrels to do just that:  4 x XLR-f | XLR-f barrels + 4 x XLR-m | XLR-m barrels.  Let's me turnaround the snake lines running from board > stage so they then run stage > board.

Did you mean 4 x XLR-M>XLR-F barrels, and vice versa? Otherwise, they just sound like barrel connectors.

You need 1 F-to-F XLR (cause that turns a M into a F) and 1 M-to-M XLR (cause that turns a F into a M) adapter to run one channel backwards through the returns.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 01:50:08 PM »

You need 1 F-to-F XLR (cause that turns a M into a F) and 1 M-to-M XLR (cause that turns a F into a M) adapter to run one channel backwards through the returns.

Oh, I see now.  DOH!  Note to add to pack.  Any preferred brand for the connectors?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com