Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: moe. outdoors w/ Oktava MC-012s; -10db pads or no?  (Read 3016 times)

Offline BradM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
moe. outdoors w/ Oktava MC-012s; -10db pads or no?
« on: July 10, 2007, 09:22:39 AM »
I'm planning/hoping to record moe. tonight at the Ottawa Blues Festival. They're on one of the main stages, and from seeing other bands there (like the White Stripes on Sunday night), it can get pretty loud. If I end up FOB (fingers crossed, everybody), and use my Oktava MC-012 mics, will I need to use the -10db pads on them? I usually tape in clubs (capacity about 200), and am rarely more than a dozen feet from the PA, so I use the pads all the time, and have the gain on my Edirol UA-5 turned up to about 80%-90% of max (at which point the peak LED flashes every few seconds or so). But I'm thinking that outdoors, and with less gain on the UA-5, I should be OK without the pads; on the other hand, if I leave them out but realize I need them after the start of the show, I'm screwed, because I'll have to power down, take the mics apart, screw in the pads, reassemble everything, and power up/restart the recording.

The err-on-the-side-of-caution part of my personality says it'd be safer to leave them in, and turn the UA-5 up all the way if I need to, resulting in maybe a quiet recording, rather than leaving them out, and maybe getting a distorted and interrupted recording. Does anybody have any thoughts? People's experiences with moe. in similar situations with MC-012 > UA-5 would also be appreciated.

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

03 / Pokey Lafarge / Ottawa, ON / Ritual
11 / PleasureCraft / Ottawa, ON / Irene's Pub

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Re: moe. outdoors w/ Oktava MC-012s; -10db pads or no?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 10:41:16 AM »
I think you should be fine without the pads for sure.  Outdoor shows i've never used pads with any mic.

Indoors if you are turning your UA-5 up to 90%, then you might want to revisit the idea of using pads, pads are only -10db, and if you are cranking that much gain it seems counter productive and you're likely increasing self noise unnecessarily.  You're adding much more than 10db of gain if you are turning it up to 80-90%. 

Also the pads on the Oktava's seem to have a negative effect on the sound of the mics, or so i've been told. 
mics & cameras

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 10:46:07 AM »
You will almost never need/use those pads. Don't run them outside for moe. for sure.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 10:47:36 AM »
Thanks, guys. I'll try it without them.

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 10:52:47 AM »
After reading your post again. Next time your in the club. Try not using the pads & run the UA-5 around 12 to 1 o'clock. I bet you have better results.

Just some friendly advice.

Good luck.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 12:21:06 PM »
After reading your post again. Next time your in the club. Try not using the pads & run the UA-5 around 12 to 1 o'clock. I bet you have better results.

Thanks; there's a band (that I've taped before, a bunch of times) coming to the club I most often tape in on Aug. 1, so I'll try it without the pads. I guess that since I know/feel it's loud in that club most times I'm there, and since I get acceptable results with the pads, and since I'm almost always the only taper there, I'm a little antsy about trying something different that could (at least in my mind) go nastily wrong. (I'm also recording YMSB in Montreal [July 31] and Toronto [Aug. 2], so will try them without the pads; I'm pretty sure there'll be other tapers there, so even if I mess it up, there should be other sources.)

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

BobW

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 06:58:00 AM »
pads bad
I'd only use them to record a gunshot or a cannon, and very likely not even then

Roving Sign

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 07:31:41 AM »
pads bad
I'd only use them to record a gunshot or a cannon, and very likely not even then

Depends on the gear combination...sometimes - you just have to use them.

Something like an AKG 480 has fairly hot output...I can't run them on my Yamaha mixer without the pad...they run too hot on my dbx386 also. No way I'd run them without it...(well - unless I use the -20db pad on the dbx)

In this case - since he seems to be using a lot of gain on his pre - probably safe to go pad-less.

generally - if you find yourself running on the pre gain very low, and still have a lot peaks - you probably should try the pads.

A friend runs 480 > MP2 - He almost always has the knobs all the way down - and still the thing is peaking like crazy.  His recordings dont distort (at least nothing obvious to the ear) - but I think he might get a more musical recording if he wasnt pushing so much signal to his pre...

Roving Sign

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 07:59:13 AM »
It was noted in another thread - the on-mic pads are firstly to protect the mics electronics from overload. The fact that they reduce the signal the preamp sees is almost a side-effect.

It was also noted that it is best to use post-mic padding - like on your preamp. Post-mic pads reduce the signal and noise equally - so the ratio stays the same.

Offline BradM

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2007, 10:18:42 AM »

I ran it w/o the pads last night, and had the UA-5's gain set to just about that position; I had the levels a bit lower than I usually do (I don't think the peak LED ever came on), but I gave both sets (moe. and Los Lobos) a listen after the show, and they seemed to come out OK.

It was noted in another thread - the on-mic pads are firstly to protect the mics electronics from overload. The fact that they reduce the signal the preamp sees is almost a side-effect.

It was also noted that it is best to use post-mic padding - like on your preamp. Post-mic pads reduce the signal and noise equally - so the ratio stays the same.

That makes perfect sense (and hadn't occurred to me before). I'll keep that in mind from now on.

Again, thanks, everybody; gotta love a hobby that keeps you learning things. :)

Aloha,
Brad
2015-07

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2007, 11:09:34 AM »
I've run those mics in tons of different situations.  You will NOT need those pads out side.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com