Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Easiest way to remove pops/clicks from a soundboard feed in Audition?  (Read 2617 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
I have a soundboard feed with three small clicks in it that I want to remove.  They all look like this:

Zoomed Out:

Zoomed In:

What is the easiest way to get rid of these? Do I just delete the area with the pop and insert silence of the same length I removed?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Easiest way to remove pops/clicks from a soundboard feed in Audition?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 12:59:02 PM »
You have some options:

• try Audition's click remover
  • replace the ~0.03 sec of click with silence
  • remove the ~0.03 sec of clicks and crossfade

I'm sure there are other options, but those are the ones that pop to mind right away.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 01:01:08 PM »
Thanks for the info Brian.

Also: If I zoom in a ton, it gives me little squares to drag around.  If I manually drag all of the spikes down so it's just a straight line, is that an acceptable way to do it?

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 03:50:30 PM »
Ok I used the "mute" feature to get rid of the clicks.

Now someone tell me how to make the two sources line up  >:D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 03:55:27 PM »
Now someone tell me how to make the two sources line up  >:D

Audition has an excellent Help file.  Or try searching for "matrix".  Gobs of discussion on this one.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pool

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 04:10:46 PM »
Wave Repair 4.9.0 > zoom, highlight click from left to right > Manual spectral replacement both channels. Listen. Retry.

Offline mysterymadman

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 10:26:19 AM »
Hiya,

When manually removing such spikes, I find it often gives best results to simply "interpolate" them. What I do (mind you: using Sound Forge, but I'm sure Audition will have something similar), is find a suitable spot from right before the spike(s), and then select precisely the spike(s) and find a suitable "healthy looking" end that lies at such a position, that the interpolation will not cause any high volume drop or peaks (i.e. it is not the best of ideas to put the start at e.g. -10 dB and the end at e.g. +8dB) in a very short time interval (it's a bit difficult to express what I mean exactly, but I hope you know what I mean).

Also, only do multiple spikes in one go if there is (virtually) no "valuable information" (i.e. proper audio sections) in between them, and if the total area is so short (in terms of time) that your patches will not be audible as silence (or as some form of noise).

When done like this, you will typically get very pleasing results, at the cost of having to spend quite some time on this if there are many such spikes.

Apart from this manual method, you can try looking for tools (filters, etc.) that can automatically get rid of clipping and/or specific noise. A good example is the "vinyl restoration filter" that can be used in Sound Forge (I think it is made by Sony too). Be careful to throughly check the end results though, as it is my experiences that they will often indeed get rid of the clipping, but in its stead it will sound like a high pitched "peep" in the spot where the spikes used to be. Definitely not what you want. Finally, yu may have to experiment quite somewhat with the proper setting for peak detection, in terms of peak volume and the amount of samples that triggers the software to recognise the peaks.

Cheerz,
MM

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com