Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Favorite stealth-cardioids?  (Read 23281 times)

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Favorite stealth-cardioids?
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2007, 03:30:45 AM »
what would be best btw an iriver h320 and a mm-hlsc-1 to stealth at very loud situations?

ive searched for an answer and it seems that the mics directly plugged into the iriver will work fine.. or is it better to get a bbox?

a bbox is better for the mic´s dynamic range and soundpressure level handling.
bbox provides 9V to the mics...the iriver about 3,xV as far as I remember.

Minor correction...I think the iRiver supplies 1.5 volts of "plug in" power.
according to the iriver FAQ´s here at TS.com:
"The iriver provides 2.5v of plug-in power (1v more than most mini-discs I believe), which allows it to power electret condenser mics such as dpa-4061s or at853s (terminating in a stereo mini-plug of course) without the need of a battery box.  However, providing external power such as that provided by a battery box will likely improve dynamic range and spl handling of such mics."

It´s NOT enough power for DPA 4060/4061/4062 but might be enough for 4063 and 4067 as these are low DC-mics which need 3V and not 5V as the 4060/4061/4062.
I tried my DPA 4061 with my iriver´s plugin-power...ok you can record....but the sound is NOT overwhelming ;). big difference when i use my 12v bbox....lots more mic-signal coming in to my iriver ;).
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 03:59:34 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Alchemy

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2007, 06:41:07 PM »
what would be best btw an iriver h320 and a mm-hlsc-1 to stealth at very loud situations?

ive searched for an answer and it seems that the mics directly plugged into the iriver will work fine.. or is it better to get a bbox?

a bbox is better for the mic´s dynamic range and soundpressure level handling.
bbox provides 9V to the mics...the iriver about 3,xV as far as I remember.

Minor correction...I think the iRiver supplies 1.5 volts of "plug in" power.
according to the iriver FAQ´s here at TS.com:
"The iriver provides 2.5v of plug-in power (1v more than most mini-discs I believe), which allows it to power electret condenser mics such as dpa-4061s or at853s (terminating in a stereo mini-plug of course) without the need of a battery box.  However, providing external power such as that provided by a battery box will likely improve dynamic range and spl handling of such mics."

It´s NOT enough power for DPA 4060/4061/4062 but might be enough for 4063 and 4067 as these are low DC-mics which need 3V and not 5V as the 4060/4061/4062.
I tried my DPA 4061 with my iriver´s plugin-power...ok you can record....but the sound is NOT overwhelming ;). big difference when i use my 12v bbox....lots more mic-signal coming in to my iriver ;).

off by a volt, thanks

Offline nihilistic0

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • wat
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2007, 07:45:21 PM »
personally, I prefer the AT853 over DPA's.  A little more laid back sounding, decent transparency

For me, I think the bass response is about right, as I don't really like it when some mics (like CSB) capture way too much bass. 

After taping Porcupine Tree recently, I found that if the AT's get fed some loud tight bass that just on the edge of overloading the mic, the response is very nice indeed.

sample: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=CCB5B8E94B0D0FE9
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 08:06:37 PM by nihilistic0 »
SP-CMC-4 (AT853) > SP-SPSB-1 (no rolloff) > Tascam DR-05

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2007, 02:08:48 PM »
Great thread.

I have the SP-CMC-8's and they have been okay, but a little thin on the bottom end.  Based on this thread, I think I am going to try:

STC-11's

and, since everyone seems to like the AT853's, I will obtain a pair of SP-CMC-4U's, and probably retire the SP-CMC-8's.

Looks like I'd need the 4U's with a low sens mod if I am stealthing loud rock concerts? Correct?
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2007, 06:46:48 PM »
Great thread.

I have the SP-CMC-8's and they have been okay, but a little thin on the bottom end.  Based on this thread, I think I am going to try:

STC-11's

and, since everyone seems to like the AT853's, I will obtain a pair of SP-CMC-4U's, and probably retire the SP-CMC-8's.

Looks like I'd need the 4U's with a low sens mod if I am stealthing loud rock concerts? Correct?

If you go phantom you won't need the mod...

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2007, 06:49:25 PM »
Great thread.

STC-11's

If you go phantom you won't need the mod...

No need to go phantom.  those phantom adapters are a pita.  the 3-wire/mini xlr's  OR the 4.7k low sens mod sound just as good as phantom modded 853's...much smaller and convienient too....
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Alchemy

« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2007, 06:54:34 PM »
A nice way to power the 853s for high-SPL recordings is with the AT8532 power unit. You would need two of them of them (one for each mic in a stereo config)...and their only output is a full size XLR connector. I have a set of XLR cables and when I thought of stealthing with them, I realized it wasn't pratical.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 06:56:35 PM by Alchemy »

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2007, 06:58:22 PM »
A nice way to power the 853s for high-SPL recordings is with the AT8532 power unit. You would need two of them of them (one for each mic in a stereo config)...and their only output is a full size XLR connector. I have a set of XLR cables and when I thought of stealthing with them, I realized it wasn't pratical.

I stealth this set-up all the time in Houston, home of the wands and patdowns.  What's not practical about it?

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2007, 07:00:57 PM »
No need to go phantom.  those phantom adapters are a pita.  the 3-wire/mini xlr's  OR the 4.7k low sens mod sound just as good as phantom modded 853's...much smaller and convienient too....

It's my understanding that only phantom will give you the full dynamic range of the mics.

Alchemy

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2007, 07:29:32 PM »

I stealth this set-up all the time in Houston, home of the wands and patdowns.  What's not practical about it?

The size of it all, no? Two of the power packs, plus two XLR connectors on the adapter cable.

From your signature, it looks like you run a PS2 and the phantom adapters, right? I think I'm talking about something different.

Offline prof_peabody

• Team Houston
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2007, 07:44:27 PM »

The size of it all, no? Two of the power packs, plus two XLR connectors on the adapter cable.

From your signature, it looks like you run a PS2 and the phantom adapters, right? I think I'm talking about something different.

I use the AT8533X phantom power modules (samson makes something similar).  They used to come with the old AT853rx mics, but you can buy them at B&H or SP for ridiculously expensive prices...

Alchemy

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2007, 07:59:05 PM »
Ah, OK, thanks for posting that picture.

I was talking about two of these, which from my understanding is the other way to power the AT mics on phantom power. (You wouldn't use the adapters in this case.)

These don't seem to be very popular. I don't know why. This power unit with the 853s sounds amazing.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2007, 08:07:20 PM »

It's my understanding that only phantom will give you the full dynamic range of the mics.

I'm the resident AT expert here, lol.

Any power method - phantom, 3-wire batt box, or 2-wire box with 4.7k mod will work the same.  When properly wired, these mics need only a few volts to operate.

Those phantom adapters are just another way of getting a few volts to the mics (and providing a balanced transformer output in the process).  What is good about the phantom adapters is convenience.  You can plug into any "standard" gear and run them like "full size" mics.  And you can do longer cable runs due to the balanced output.  But for any standard "stealth" or "stand" use we might have these methods are all equivalent.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline kozakz

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: August 28, 2007, 05:21:40 PM »
I think AT8532 are not popular because they are too expensive and they are hard to get devices. It is a pity that AT ships most of its 853's gear with AT8531 which do not provide enough power for the mics.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com