Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Need Advice on a Camera Backpack  (Read 7135 times)

Offline Sanjay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • www.drivebytruckers.com/tourdiary.html
Need Advice on a Camera Backpack
« on: August 23, 2007, 10:48:11 AM »
I am about to embark on a trip across Asia in three weeks and need a better more portable way than my current LowePro or Rolling Suitcase (for the entire lens collection).  I have a few requirements and want to know if anyone has bought a camera pack they really like which meet them.  I realize this is like searching for the perfect gear bag, and no answer will be perfect.

Requirements:
-  Does not scream I HAVE THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS IN CAMERA GEAR to the outside world, I wil be traveling in some areas where I expect people to try to steal stuff, so bags which look like camera bags too much are no good.
-  Must have room for a laptop, a 13" macbook or 12" powerbook to be exact. 
-  Solid durable construction
-  Needs to fit the following gear.  One of the lenses can stay attached to the camera. 
      - 1 Nikon D200 body
      - 1 Nikon 70-200mm VR Lens
     -  1 Nikon 10-20mm Lens
     -  1 Nikon 35-70mm Lens
     -  1 Nikon 50mm Lens (this is tiny so I am not worried so much about it's own space)
     -  3 extra batteries, cords, and a few filters (so basically a small storage pocket)
-  I have a small carbon fiber tripod which I will either need to fit in the bag or attach to the outside. 
-  A few extra pockets so I can fit maybe a book or whatever else I'll need in the 15hr flight.  I am only bringing two bags, and this has to be one of them.

I have found a few bags online which might meet the need.  First being the Crumpler Keystone or Whickey and Cox.  I don't know anything about them so if anyone has any experience let me know.  Second would be an offering from Kata, I love their R-102, however it lacks a spot for a laptop and that is important.

Thanks in advance for any sage-like advice you may be able to offer. 
mics & cameras

Offline Frank in JC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • (formerly Frank M, but that guy forgot his pwd)
Re: Need Advice on a Camera Backpack
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 11:07:49 AM »
I don't have any experience with backpacks, but the name Moose Peterson comes to mind.  Take a look at what bags he uses... they don't seem like they would attract a lot of attention.

BTW, when did Nikon start making a 10-20mm?   ;)

http://www.moosepeterson.com/gear/index.html
Favorite generic quote from Archive.org:
"This recording is SICK--it's almost as good as a soundboard!"

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 11:20:59 AM »
Don't know if this is the magic bullet or not.  My guess would be not, but I have the LowePro CompuRover AW

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Backpacks/notebook_camera/CompuRover_AW.aspx

It is a nice bag and will carry all your gear.  I did a festival with a D70, Sigma 70-200/2.8, a 24-80/2.8, 50, and a 10-20. all in the lower portion, then my R-4, mics, windscreens, shocks, batteries, CF cards and such in the top section.  I could have hauled a laptop as well in the laptop slot, but did not since I didn't need it and the bag was already a boat anchor.   The 70-200 VR would probably not fit still on the body though. I have not tried it exactly that way.   That said, and of these camera backpacks seem to me to still scream "steal me" and when you strap a tripod on the outside I'd think it only gets worse.  It's a total catch 22.  the other thing I don't like about them is not seem to make it very easy to quickly grab your gear for an impromptu shot while the bag is on your back.  When traveling a foreign country that seems to me to be the whole purpose of dragging along that much gear is so you can get some awesome travel shots.  I've been looking a bit at some of the sling type bags, but have really had a need so I've stuck with what I have. Something like this looks pretty cool though..

http://www.lowepro.com/Products/Sling_Bags/Designed_for_Digital/SlingShot_300_AW.aspx

If you have more specific questions let me know.  I could try and see how my gear fits in the bag as it has been sitting in a closet for about a year. And I should be able to pretty closely replicate your gear load.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 11:24:42 AM by phanophish »

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 11:40:51 AM »

my apologies, it's a sigma, I just ordered it, hopefully it's decent.   :P

Phanophish, you're completely right with the catch 22 about the tripod.  I guess there are certain situations i'd have it with me when I am not worried about attention, but others (such as walking through Beijing) where I wouldn't. 

The compurover is a good bag, however after trying it on at a store with a similar load I found a few problems.  The bottom loading camera pouch while handy doesn't distribute the weight very well and was fatiguing on my lower back.  Was it enough to not buy it, I'm not sure, but it wasn't ideal.  I don't have a need to have the 70-200 lens attached ever.  I rarely use it, so that's one blessing. 

The sling bags are great for around town, but this needs to be able to be taken on a hike or up the great wall, so I don't know how well that is with a one shoulder approach.

Don't know if this is the magic bullet or not.  My guess would be not, but I have the LowePro CompuRover AW

I the other thing I don't like about them is not seem to make it very easy to quickly grab your gear for an impromptu shot while the bag is on your back.  When traveling a foreign country that seems to me to be the whole purpose of dragging along that much gear is so you can get some awesome travel shots. 

That's the final problem I struggle with.  Part of me wants to order the 18-200mm VR lens and bring nothing else but a holster bag for it.  I know I'll regret it though without the versatility.  If only they made an 18-200 with VR at a constant 2.8.  I would pay almost whatever it cost. 
mics & cameras

Offline phanophish

• Trade Count: (2)
    • ImageLume Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 12:18:39 PM »

That's the final problem I struggle with.  Part of me wants to order the 18-200mm VR lens and bring nothing else but a holster bag for it.  I know I'll regret it though without the versatility.  If only they made an 18-200 with VR at a constant 2.8.  I would pay almost whatever it cost. 

Yea, I just want a 8-400/1.8 VR that weighs about 3 pounds. Since that is basically impossible we are screwed.  It sucks when you get used to good glass to find your self trying to travel light but still maintain top quality images.  Maybe the way to go is the 18-200VR and then bring a faster 18-50 or 35-70 and the 50.  3 Fairly small lenses, not too heavy and all you are really giving up is some speed at the long end which may not be a critical.  It's the low light interior stuff you really need speed for and the wider angle glass is what you would want then anyway.  For outside stuff you can use the tripod and deal with the smaller apertures.

Photo:  Nikon D300, D200, 35mm f/1.8,  50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, Nikon 17-55 f/2.8, Sigma 18-50/2.8 Macro, 18-70 f/4.5-5.6, 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 VR, Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8VR, SB-800

Jake: What's this?
Elwood: What?
Jake: This car. This stupid car. Where's the Cadillac? The Caddy? Where's the Caddy?
Elwood: The what?
Jake: The Cadillac we used to have. The Blues Mobile!
Elwood: I traded it.
Jake: You traded the Blues Mobile for this?
Elwood: No. For a microphone.
Jake: A microphone? Okay I can see that.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 09:48:29 AM »

my apologies, it's a sigma, I just ordered it, hopefully it's decent.   :P

Phanophish, you're completely right with the catch 22 about the tripod.  I guess there are certain situations i'd have it with me when I am not worried about attention, but others (such as walking through Beijing) where I wouldn't. 

The compurover is a good bag, however after trying it on at a store with a similar load I found a few problems.  The bottom loading camera pouch while handy doesn't distribute the weight very well and was fatiguing on my lower back.  Was it enough to not buy it, I'm not sure, but it wasn't ideal.  I don't have a need to have the 70-200 lens attached ever.  I rarely use it, so that's one blessing. 

The sling bags are great for around town, but this needs to be able to be taken on a hike or up the great wall, so I don't know how well that is with a one shoulder approach.

I the other thing I don't like about them is not seem to make it very easy to quickly grab your gear for an impromptu shot while the bag is on your back.  When traveling a foreign country that seems to me to be the whole purpose of dragging along that much gear is so you can get some awesome travel shots. 

Sanjay,
My brother is going on a 1 month trip around Europe, so we JUST went through this same process.  he has a few less lenses, but overall the same requirements.  The bag we ended up going with after trying out several was the lowepro CompuTrekker AW.  The camera's weight is distributed evenly, and it still has a place for the notebook.  Its still shaped like a regular backpack (as much as can be with all the padding).  The only problem we found after looking (and Im not sure it can be corrected really) is there really isn't much room for anything else.

This Guy on Ebay was the cheapest we could find.  He sent it out VERY quickly..and its brand new.  I would highly recommend him.  Came from CO to his house in 2 days.  And the shipping was free.

If you are willing to spend a littl emore money, I think this one was a better bag overall, but again more expensive, the same seller listed above has it.  but its almost $100 more. 
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 09:58:47 AM »
No real advice about the bag, but if you go with Lowepro I can also recommend the eBay seller that RaZoRbAcK linked. Good prices and VERY fast shipping.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 10:12:47 AM »
No advice on bags, Sanjay, but please give a review of the 10-22 sigma after you get a chance to shoot with it.  I'm looking for a super wide and this is one of the ones that I'm looking at.

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 10:44:19 AM »
No advice on bags, Sanjay, but please give a review of the 10-22 sigma after you get a chance to shoot with it.  I'm looking for a super wide and this is one of the ones that I'm looking at.

Have you seen Ken Rockwell's comparison of the super wides zooms?
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/digital-wide-zooms/comparison.htm

I've been generally disappointed with the build quality of 3rd party lenses, so I went with the Nikon.  I treat my equipment well, but I still treat it like equipment.

stirinthesauce

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 11:21:33 AM »

I've been generally disappointed with the build quality of 3rd party lenses, so I went with the Nikon.  I treat my equipment well, but I still treat it like equipment.

I haven't read that particular review but I have read all the review on fredmiranda.  FWIW, I'm a canon mount.  After shelling out some dough on a new canon 70-200L USM f2.8, I'm going to have to go 3rd party on my next lens purchase.  I'm pretty happy with my sigma 24-70 f2.8 but not sure if I want to try a tokina or a tamron on a super wide.  Hence why I was looking for first hand experience from Sanjay.  I've heard mixed reviews on sigma's quality control.  Not in a big rush, but looking for one in the next month, to get ready for leaf season.  I've got some spots that warrant a return trip.

Sorry for the hijach, sanjay.  Back to your search on a backpack.

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 03:44:13 PM »

Hi,

I will try to give a good honest review of the lens when I get it.  I've used the Canon 10-22 in my previous photography job, but now that i've struck out on my own I need to be careful to balance my income to how much I am spending.  Hence I have no other choice but to look at the 3rd party lenses.  $500 is a huge difference for me, especially for a lens I am not going to use all that much. 

If the lens does disappoint I will return it, thank god for B&H's policy.  I will then purchase the Tokina which I did like 12-24 which I did like.  However I really need the widest I can get without a fisheye since i've started to do some interior and architecture photography.  Not alot mind you, but enough. 

I'm still figuring out the bag situation and the lens situation for the trip.  I'll keep ya'll updated on that. 
mics & cameras

Offline Frank in JC

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2007, 04:26:58 PM »
$500 is a huge difference for me, especially for a lens I am not going to use all that much. 

I thought it was $500 for the Sigma versus $700 for the Canon?  That's not too hard to justify, even for the peace of mind alone.

Offline evilchris

• Taperssection Member
  • Audio, ergo sum.
    • dimwell.net
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2007, 04:31:39 PM »
Check out Crumpler's "Sinking Barge" or "Customary Barge".
nothing > nada > R-09

Offline Sanjay

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2007, 05:09:28 PM »
$500 is a huge difference for me, especially for a lens I am not going to use all that much. 

I thought it was $500 for the Sigma versus $700 for the Canon?  That's not too hard to justify, even for the peace of mind alone.

Yeah, unfortunately I shoot Nikon, so maybe it wasn't $500 but...

$475 vs. $920.

All this talk of Canon's has made me think of switching to Canon, I always did like their line of lenses.

I could sell all my Nikon gear and buy this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/484816-REG/Canon_0296B113_EOS_5D_Digital_Camera.html

but that would not suit my needs too well. 

more decisions.   It's amazing, that as with taping, bags can redefine your gear choice.

evilchris I will check out those bags.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 05:15:20 PM by Sanjay »
mics & cameras

Offline anhisr

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 06:20:13 PM »
Mjbackpack 5051 Bullet Proof Backpack

* Level II Balistic Panel integrated into back panel (approx. 14" x 17")
* Rugged 420d Dobby Nylon
* High Tech style and colors for school, work, commute or travel.
* 2 Large main compartments plus a padded computer pocket.
* Zippered MP3 Player pocket w/ earphone outlet.
* Contoured padding for max. comfort.
* 1706 ci

http://shop.mjsafetysolutions.com/product.sc;jsessionid=F65FB871D5F227D353C3BA0C5B7FA006.qscweb26?categoryId=1&productId=2
Audio: Neumann KM 100> 20, 30, 40, 43 or 50 > V3 > MT II (love that M/S)
Still Camera Body: Canon D5 Mark II
Canon Lenses:  16-35mm f2.8L II USM; 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM; 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM
Video Canon HF R30

archive  http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/anhisr

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com