Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Visited the AETA Audio labs and saw the MIXY  (Read 7002 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Visited the AETA Audio labs and saw the MIXY
« on: September 19, 2007, 05:27:09 AM »
I accepted an invitation from AETA Audio to visit their factory tomorrow and meet with their director of international sales, as well as the designer of the MIXY three-channel mixer.  They are getting ready for the AES conference in New York in October and want to discuss some preparation issues.  Does anybody here have any comments on the MIXY if they have used it, or are thinking of getting one?  Any competing products with this unit?  They are going to explain to me how the MIXY works and walk me through its design and I will forward any information to this group.

Any other questions or comments that any of you want me to forward to AETA about any other products of theirs?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 02:03:51 PM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: Visiting the AETA Audio factory tomorrow; any questions?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 04:30:15 PM »
Ask those frenchies to start making the psp2 again!, (Please)
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

J.T.L

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Visiting the AETA Audio factory tomorrow; any questions?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 09:30:16 PM »
Ask those frenchies to start making the psp2 again!, (Please)

Offline jlykos

Visited the AETA Audio labs and saw the MIXY
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 01:59:57 PM »
OK, so I just returned from the AETA Audio Services labs today.  That place is like mad scientist insane.  Lots of workbenches with units in various states of assembly / repair / testing with lots of oscillating waves and half-built computers everywhere.  You knew it was an engineering place because the desktop wallpaper on all the computers were pictures of girls in bikinis and such.

I talked with their international director of sales, a technician, and the designer of the PSP-3 and their new MIXY 3-channel mixer.  First, sorry to disappoint all of you, but AETA will never produce the PSP-2 or PSP-3 ever again.  They said that the cost of setting up a new assembly line and of the components required for their assembly renders them economically unfeasable to produce.  They did give me the last three battery sleds that they had for the PSP-2 / -3 so I was happy about that.  I also found out that my PSP-2 is in perfect working order and now have the graphs to prove it.

The designer sat down with me and explained every feature on the MIXY to me.  It has a mind-boggling array of features and functions.  If you do M/S recordings, this is the absolute perfect device for you.  I can't even begin to describe all the M/S options that it has, but some of the relevant ones are a fine gain control for M/S mode and separate input sensitivity settings for each direction.

The MIXY is also almost impossible to clip.  I was screaming at the top of my lungs directly into a dynamic microphone at 1 inch away and the red light never even went on showing that it is -10 db away from clipping.  It also has a built-in limiter that works very well and has an "intelligent" limiting function so it will gracefully limit; it is not a hard limit.  It has a high-pass filter at 50, 120, and 300 Hz with a -18 db / octive slope.  The external power supply can take anything between 8 and 18 volts; the MIXY has an internal rechargeable battery that can last about 10 hours at a charge.

A very important note about the MIXY is that the unit automatically adds some gain so you should always engage the -10 db pad on your mics.  The MIXY has a check about this on its digital display so you can't blow your mics up accidentally.  The MIXY can power any microphone made; anything from ribbon to dynamic microphones.

The input and output options are probably the strongest point of the MIXY.  On the output end, it has balanced and unbalanced outputs (with 22db to -9db output signal, adjustable in 1db increments), a RF transmitter output, a line out (that is -6db down from the balanced output) digital AES (and includes an AES > S/PDIF cable) and optical outputs, and a USB output.  You cannot mix the S/PDIF or USB inputs with the analog inputs through the MIXY (you need a PC for that), but you can use a synchro function to use sampling frequencies at 32 / 44.1 / 48 / 96 when externally using a S/PDIF signal.  The MIXY outputs a 20-bit signal dithered to 16 bit, so it has a 16/44.1 or 16/48 A/D built in to the device if you want to digitally output the signal through the digital outputs.

I asked AETA if they had any plans to modify the unit for a 24/96 A/D converter to be included instead of the 16/44.1 or 16/48 one.  They responded by saying that it would take a lot of work.  I would not rule this out in the future, but it did not seem to be on the table for the moment.

On the input end, it has three microphone inputs, each of which have a 0-50 db continually adjustable gain at the input stage.  Their maximum input level is from 22 to -9 db, adjustable in 1db increments.  The USB port allows the MIXY to be used as a slave device by a PC.  You can run a total of seven channels through the MIXY when used with a PC, which is way cool and can output the USB signal to the AES port.

The designer said that the MIXY preamps are the best that AETA has ever designed for a portable unit, even better than the PSP-3.  He also said that it absolutely blows away the preamps on the 722 / 744, although he did acknowledge that the 302 has good preamps.

AETA will be at the AES convention in NYC in early October and they will be there with several MIXYs.  They are looking into the possibility of leaving some of them in the U.S. as demo models as well so we can play around with these to see how they work.  The target market for the MIXY is the radio / TV / ENG market, but they are interested in seeing if the MIXY can have some use in music recording or nature recording because they are convinced that its preamps are really good.

The final thing that they told me is that the MIXY currently costs 1,600 Euro, but acknowledged that the exchange rate is hammering their sales in the U.S.  They are looking into the possibility of manufacturing some of the MIXYs in the U.S. in order to create a lower price in dollars.

Anyway, sorry for such a long post.  It is uncommon that a company has opened its doors so wide to somebody who was going to the lab for a totally unrelated reason.  This is a way cool product and if I had 1,600 Euro burning a hole in my pocket an an extra Gefell body, I would jump all over this thing just to give it a shot.  Please contact me or AETA if any of you have questions about this product; I am not a shill for AETA, but they are good people and are trying to get their name out there in the U.S.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2007, 02:10:12 PM by jlykos »
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline blindman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
Re: Visited the AETA Audio labs and saw the MIXY
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 11:12:25 PM »
Great report. That sounds like a pretty cool adventure.

Is this what the MIXY actually looks like now, or is this just a computer generated image??
http://www.aeta.de/aeta_mag/0702/mixy_en.html

Cause this looks more like a real photo...
http://prix.audiofanzine.com/services/prix/index,idproduit,105646,achat,prix-aetaaudio_mixy.html

just curious, not that it matters as long it is sounds as good as they say it does.

I guess if the market for the MIXY is ENG/Film 16/44.1 makes sense. I have a friend who does television/film audio recording and I was a little surprised when he told me all his clients want their audio turned in as 16/44.1.

It is even smaller than a Fostex FR-2LE... 250mm vs 160mm

thanx again for taking the time to share that story.
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 01:08:12 AM »
Try looking here.  http://www.aeta-audio.com/
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline blindman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Ut!
    • Taper Stuff @ Fecundswamp
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 10:23:14 PM »
I see.. on the link boojum provided, when you click the "Mixy" link there it opens a pdf and has a real photo of the black version... this must be an older design I guess... http://prix.audiofanzine.com/commun/window.php?lien=%2Fimg%2Fproduits%2Fnormal%2F1%2F0%2F105646.jpg

thanx!
Then: Nakamichi CM300/CP-1/2/4 + Soundboard -> Audio-Technica AT4462 -> Sony TC-D5M
Now: Avantone CK-40 + Avantone CK-1 (Busman MOD) -> BusR4 (T+NF Mods)
Backup/Stealth: Sennheiser MKE > CA-9100 > Tascam DR2D

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 07:47:22 AM »
thats a pretty box!

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 09:56:33 AM »
thats a pretty box!

I agree!   Im not too jazzed about the name though.. Do these guys do market analysis on picking a name?     Prolly not!
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline jlykos

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 03:11:05 PM »
I see.. on the link boojum provided, when you click the "Mixy" link there it opens a pdf and has a real photo of the black version... this must be an older design I guess... http://prix.audiofanzine.com/commun/window.php?lien=%2Fimg%2Fproduits%2Fnormal%2F1%2F0%2F105646.jpg

thanx!

The black box is the correct photo here: http://www.aeta.de/aeta_mag/0702/mixy_en.html

I assume that the white one was a prototype or something.  The box does indeed look sweet; it's about the size of a 722.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 07:56:59 PM »
Since they're discontinuing the PSP-2 and -3, is there any chance they'd open source the design?
Out of the game … for now?

Offline Massive Dynamic

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • 20 years of the best in apocalyptic gothic metal
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2007, 11:40:11 PM »
The MIXY outputs a 20-bit signal dithered to 16 bit, so it has a 16/44.1 or 16/48 A/D built in to the device if you want to digitally output the signal through the digital outputs.

I asked AETA if they had any plans to modify the unit for a 24/96 A/D converter to be included instead of the 16/44.1 or 16/48 one.  They responded by saying that it would take a lot of work.  I would not rule this out in the future, but it did not seem to be on the table for the moment.

http://www.aeta.de/aeta_mag/0702/mixy_en.html
- A SPDIF input, AES/SPDIF outputs and optical output (Toslink), as well as a stereo input/output over USB
Digital outputs:
● AES/EBU 2 channels, 24bits, « Pro » or « Consumer », (Hirose 6pts)
● AES/EBU, 2 channels 24bits, idem (optical Toslink)
● Stereo outputs 16 bits (USB)
● I/O 2 channels, 24bits (Mini-Din (S-Video))
Is it 16- or 24-bit?
Naiant X-X > SP-SPSB-1 > M10
Superlux S502 > Denecke PS-2 > Hosa MIT-435 > M10

Offline jlykos

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2007, 10:16:21 AM »
The engineer told me that it is a 20 bit signal, dithered down to 16 bits, resulting in a 16 bit output.  They were even resisting making it have 24 bit capability because the ENG market still uses 16 bits almost exclusively (except for some HD applications).  I don't know why they have 24 bits listed in that literature.  They may have it because it can pass a 24 bit signal through the AES or optical outputs if you have a 24 bit device running in front of it and don't want to use the internal A/D in the MIXY.

Offline jlykos

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 12:09:25 PM »
The international director of sales for AETA Audio e-mailed me some improvements that they made to the MIXY.  Here is what she sent me:

Since 8 months, MIXY has been working with different users.

Our R&D engineers made some of their wishes come true:

-          some small audible interferences have been suppressed

-          Master mode now available in 96 kHz / 24 bits

-          Battery level indicator starts blinking when only 2 bars left

-          In “monitoring” mode, selection and status blink when changing parameters

-          After 5 s, the display leaves the menu automatically

-          A “beep” sound indicates when activating or deactivating the “slate”

-          Miscellaneous minor corrections

-          Optional : possiblity to power one HF Tx and one HF Rx at the same time (Audio Ltd for ex- 4 hours autonomy)

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2008, 02:26:43 PM »
Interesting product, but why do they make such an expensive piece of hardware look like a external harddisk with some knobs and a display?  :'(

Offline jlykos

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
Interesting product, but why do they make such an expensive piece of hardware look like a external harddisk with some knobs and a display?  :'(

It is a really slick-looking box with a great form factor.  What else do you want it to look like?  I mean, it's a three-channel mixer with a billion features.  They did the right thing by having as few external controls and instead pushing most of the stuff to the digital menu system.

Anyway, AETA Audio just e-mailed me today and said that the MIXY is currently being tested by Shoreview Distribution and by Dale Pro Audio (former Masterpiece A/V, if memory serves me), and that if the tests go well, that you can purchase the MIXY from them in the next few weeks.

Also, they wanted me to reiterate the fact that they have implemented a 96k master mode, which means that it can pass through and convert a full 24/96 signal.  Tres cool.

Offline Eigenklang

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2008, 05:23:46 PM »
hmm,

maybe I dont like the design because I am a bit old-fashioned. Recording is just a hobby of mine. So what also counts for me is the design factor. If I want to see a box that looks like a modem, I open up some switchgear cabinet.

Also, I grew up in a total digitalized world. Maybe thats why I like "old-fashioned" (but in terms of design ageless) gear like Stellavox or Nagra. Or why I actually dont like scrolling through menus / interpreting pictograms on small displays.

But the fact that the three pots are so close together would seriously disturb me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com