Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nero FLAC plugin question  (Read 5725 times)

Offline manitouman

• Trade Count: (36)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Los Bulls!!!
Nero FLAC plugin question
« on: September 23, 2007, 09:24:21 PM »
I couldn't find any info on this so here's my situation...

I have the latest NERO 7 (version 7.10 update) with the FLAC plugin installed. I can't remember or perhaps never tried it but will NERO convert/burn both 16 bit and 24 bit FLAC file to a CD that can be played in an audio player? I tried to burn some 24 bit FLAC files with NERO to a CD for the car. Should I have converted the FLAC files to 16 bit first or should the plugin allow NERO to burn 24 bit as well?

I have six coasters already and would rather not waste any more blanks. I know they are cheap but I'm poor. Thanks for the help!
Mics: AKG CK31, CK32>LM 3> MPA III

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Nero FLAC plugin question
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 10:14:35 PM »
Are you burning the FLAC as an Audio CD or Data CD?

In Nero you have to select Audio CD and then drag the FLAC's over.  It will convert and burn them on the fly for you.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 10:24:12 PM »
not sure if 7.0 will dither down to 16bit but I would suggest doing it in another audio program as I can't imagine the quality of the Nero dither on the fly is that great
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 12:40:38 AM »
Trying to burn an audio CD using 24 bit FLAC files. I just wasn't sure if NERO will convert 24 bit files to wav(?) files that are used for audio CD purposes. I know with the FLAC plugin it will convert 16 bit FLAC files but I wasn't sure if it will convert the 24 bit files.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 12:47:40 PM »
Trying to burn an audio CD using 24 bit FLAC files. I just wasn't sure if NERO will convert 24 bit files to wav(?) files that are used for audio CD purposes. I know with the FLAC plugin it will convert 16 bit FLAC files but I wasn't sure if it will convert the 24 bit files.

well i don't think the plugin has a dither scheme built into it - 24bit files cannot be burned to CDR so Im not 100% sure what you are trying to accomplish

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2007, 07:35:29 PM »
Actually, you did answer my question ;D. I already know that with the flac plugin, Nero will convert/burn 16 bit flac files directly to an audio CD that can then be played in a stereo. What I was asking is...with that same plugin, can Nero convert/burn 24 bit flac files to an audio cd that can then be played in a stereo. By convert, you mentioned "dither scheme" which I assume is converting a 24 bit flac file into a 16 bit audio file that can then be burned to an audio cd. In simple terms, I have a 24 bit flac file and instead of converting that file all the way down to a 16 bit wav file for CD purposes, will that flac plugin do the converting for me like it does for 16 bit flac files? or do I have to "dither" that 24 bit flac file into a 16 bit flac file and then burn the audio CD for listening on a stereo?

Man, I'm confusing myself!! I know what I'm trying to say but just can't put it into words. But I do believe you answered my question already.

+T

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2007, 07:44:22 PM »
Actually, you did answer my question ;D. I already know that with the flac plugin, Nero will convert/burn 16 bit flac files directly to an audio CD that can then be played in a stereo. What I was asking is...with that same plugin, can Nero convert/burn 24 bit flac files to an audio cd that can then be played in a stereo. By convert, you mentioned "dither scheme" which I assume is converting a 24 bit flac file into a 16 bit audio file that can then be burned to an audio cd. In simple terms, I have a 24 bit flac file and instead of converting that file all the way down to a 16 bit wav file for CD purposes, will that flac plugin do the converting for me like it does for 16 bit flac files? or do I have to "dither" that 24 bit flac file into a 16 bit flac file and then burn the audio CD for listening on a stereo?

Man, I'm confusing myself!! I know what I'm trying to say but just can't put it into words. But I do believe you answered my question already.

+T

you definitely need to dither before attempting to burn to CD  ;D

what editing program do you use?

you want to do any and all edits before resampling/dithering down ie normalize eq, fades etc

next step will be to resample to 44.1 - this may not be necessary depending what sample rate you are recording at

final step is to dither down to 16bit from 24bit

after that you can burn to cd

or if you want to burn your tracked 24bit files to disc you need to burn to DVD - the easiest program is DVD audiofile http://24bit.turtleside.com/DVD-Audiofile0.42win.zip

there are lots of specific instructions on the process for each of the common editing programs so maybe a search for which ever you use will trun up some specific answers on the workflow

Offline manitouman

• Los Bulls!!!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2007, 09:18:53 PM »
I usually use Cool Edit Pro to do my post work on recordings. And I'm more of a 24 bit person, Audiofile is a very good program that gets used often. But the wife wanted a few shows on audio CD's that we could listen to in the car on a road trip. So I made a few CD's on the fly using Nero and my 24 bit flac files. When trying to play in the car player they just hissed. You could skip from track to track but just hissed. And I couldn't remember if you could only burn 16 bit flac files using that plugin with Nero.

Thanks for the info...much appreciated!!

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 09:12:30 PM »
whats the plugin your using with nero?  i tried one i found and it killed nero on me.  i had to uninstall and reinstall it.   ???
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 09:25:19 PM »
whats the plugin your using with nero?  i tried one i found and it killed nero on me.  i had to uninstall and reinstall it.   ???

Nero Flac Plugin
http://www.bitburners.com/Software/Download/Audio_Software_and_Encoders/Nero_Audio_Plugins/FLAC_v1.0.0.33/

Offline boojum

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2007, 01:21:33 AM »
I pass Nero, or any burner, the files I want burned in the bit depth and bit rate of a CD: 16/44.1.  I prefer my audio editor, Samplitude, to handle dithering and resampling.  I cut the tracks in CDWave until I can figure how it is done in SAM8 SE.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2007, 01:35:33 AM »

Nero Flac Plugin
http://www.bitburners.com/Software/Download/Audio_Software_and_Encoders/Nero_Audio_Plugins/FLAC_v1.0.0.33/
thank you!
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.277 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com