Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Boundry mic surface question  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Boundry mic surface question
« on: December 19, 2007, 04:19:18 PM »
I'm pretty well versed in how 'boundary mounted' mics (PZM's the obvious example) work and why. I know how the size of the boundary effects the lower limit of the 6dB boost perpendicular to the surface.  The question is, does the 'boundary effect' only work when the surface is hard and reflective?  If the surface is soft or fuzzy does that cancel the 'pressure zone' boost? Only at the frequencies that the surface absorbs?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
Re: Boundry mic surface question
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 04:25:11 PM »
That is a question I am interested in as well.  I think a reflective surface is nessesary to get the boost.  A surface that absorbs will not cause the same cancellation of reflected sound that results in the boost..  I would bet the effect only applies to the frequencies that the surface does not absorb...

In other words, a fuzzy jdisc will not give a boundry boost...
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Boundry mic surface question
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 04:27:17 PM »
That's my half-educated guess too.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com