Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what height stand are YOU using???  (Read 6959 times)

Offline taylordb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: what height stand are YOU using???
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 05:20:58 PM »
i did a little research on this stand and found out that the treaded tip at the top is 1/4 in.  i was wondering what modification you make at the top to fit a 5/8 in stereo bar?  is there a stereo bar made to fit the 1/4 in tip or do you use some sort of adapter? 

Not sure which stand you are refering to because several have been mentioned in this thread.  But if you were talking about the stand I mentioned, it has a reversible head; one end has a 1/4"-20 male thread and the other has 3/8" male thread.

Offline saysiadog

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 05:26:15 PM »
dynatran 806a.  do you still have them for sale?

Offline taylordb

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 10:40:34 AM »
dynatran 806a.  do you still have them for sale?

Got one left but several people have asked about it.  I'm placing that one on hold through the weekend to hear back from them.  If I don't then its back on the floor for sale.

Offline taylordb

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2008, 01:52:06 PM »
My stands are now all sold.  Thanks to everyone that got one....hope they help you tape some good shows.

stevetoney

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2008, 12:02:47 AM »
FWIW, everyone has their own things that they look for in a stand.  Yeah, height is the main consideration people seem to focus on.  I'd say get a tall one...you can always go lower. 

But, I also consider a small footprint to be really important.  Some stands set up really solid by locking the legs without extending them all the way out fully.  That's a nice feature.

What you DEF don't want is a stand with a 4 foot or even a 40 inch footprint that people are gonna be tripping over all night long.  You end up spending more time watching the legs of your stand than the show (to protect others safety and your gears' safety).

Offline tfs8271

• Needs to get out more...
  • Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 12:05:46 AM »
7', 13' and a super clamp.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 03:13:30 PM »
i did a little research on this stand and found out that the treaded tip at the top is 1/4 in.  i was wondering what modification you make at the top to fit a 5/8 in stereo bar?  is there a stereo bar made to fit the 1/4 in tip or do you use some sort of adapter? 
This is what I use. It is the stand adapter that fits right over the top.
It has a 3/8" stud coming from it and you use a 3/8"~>5/8" adapter.

It's available here for cheap $$$
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5357-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3102_5_8_Stud_to_3_8_.html
And of course you'll need a 3/8"~>5/8" thread adapter, which you should always have a few of anyway IMO
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=akg+km217&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=product.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

stevetoney

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 11:46:45 PM »
7', 13' and a super clamp.

For a stand, I prefer a lighter weight clamp than the superclamp.  Don't get me wrong, the super clamp is...well super.  It's a great clamp to have in your gear bag, but I find that it's a bit bulky and kinda overkill for most stand clamping needs.  Also, with the superclamp, you usually need additional superclamp accessories; the stud, extension bars, 1/4 to 5/8 adapters, etc.

For lighter duty needs, I set out on a search for a great ROWI clamp and although I found a nice ROWI, I also bought the following Ultra Clamp. 

Honestly, I've used the Ultra Clamp more than any of the others and find that I like it more than any other clamp that I own.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/350845-REG/ATS_UCAT_Clamp_Ball_Head.html

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 08:39:43 PM »
FWIW, everyone has their own things that they look for in a stand.  Yeah, height is the main consideration people seem to focus on.  I'd say get a tall one...you can always go lower. 

But, I also consider a small footprint to be really important.  Some stands set up really solid by locking the legs without extending them all the way out fully.  That's a nice feature.

What you DEF don't want is a stand with a 4 foot or even a 40 inch footprint that people are gonna be tripping over all night long.  You end up spending more time watching the legs of your stand than the show (to protect others safety and your gears' safety).

True.

I have the 17' manfroto stand, 3076, I think. It is a tank and Id feel confident going pretty much max height with a lot of mics on there, but the footprint and the fact that it is silver make it completely unwelcome in FOB land. It is perfect for section taping most of the time, but now I need to get a travef/FOB black stand with a small footprint.
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 09:51:34 AM »
This is what I use. It is the stand adapter that fits right over the top.
It has a 3/8" stud coming from it and you use a 3/8"~>5/8" adapter.

It's available here for cheap $$$
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5357-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_3102_5_8_Stud_to_3_8_.html
And of course you'll need a 3/8"~>5/8" thread adapter, which you should always have a few of anyway IMO
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?shs=akg+km217&ci=0&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=product.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t
if you have the 806a you don't even need the bottom adapter, the stand has a top bolt that flips with a 3/8 on it
so you can just use the 3/8 > 5/8 with the tbar
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.192 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com