Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Boosting levels when mastering adds too much punch  (Read 7350 times)

Offline Keyd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Boosting levels when mastering adds too much punch
« on: February 01, 2008, 02:38:00 AM »
My biggest problem lately is this:

When recording very dynamic music I am conservative with the levels and the peaks only reach about -6 to -3dB so the many quiet parts of the music seems too soft when I play it back. When I raise the levels after they are I recorded this low it seems way too loud during the louder parts and has a punch that almost knocks your head off. Also, many times it is the crowd that is the loudest so it's hard not to have the music at these lower levels. It's some work to lower the crowd independantly in mastering but that isn't any problem compared to the overwhelming punch that happens when I raise the levels.

I am looking for a way to make the recordings louder but smoother and not so harsh with all that punch. I could try to be more aggressive with setting my levels when recording but I hate distortion and we all know about fixing that. I hope there is a way to control this either when recording or in post.

I have tried a few things but have been unsucessful. Suggestions really appreciated.

Roving Sign

Re: Boosting levels when mastering adds too much punch
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 09:04:43 AM »
What gear and software are you using?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 09:20:35 AM »
Your levels are fine, this is something you should address in post with either compression and/or a volume envelope.  Basically, you'll reduce your dynamic range - make the loud parts softer and the softer parts louder.  It's easy to over do, so experiment a lot to find what works for you.

Search the Computer Recording forum for keywords:  compression volume envelope.

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

easy jim

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 12:37:31 PM »
^ what he said

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 03:12:51 PM »
Your levels are fine, this is something you should address in post with either compression and/or a volume envelope.  Basically, you'll reduce your dynamic range - make the loud parts softer and the softer parts louder.  It's easy to over do, so experiment a lot to find what works for you.

yeppers
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:34:28 PM »
Waves makes some nice Plugins for this

i use L2 with all my recordings - they have since replaced that with the L3 Ultramaximizer
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline Keyd

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 06:17:36 PM »
What gear and software are you using?

Church cards or omni's. Church 9100 Preamp. Either H4 or R-09. Protools.

When I use compression the bass frequencies seem to be boosted too much in relation to the other sounds. Also, the kick drum sounds really artificial to me. I guess I should play around more with the settings. Maybe I should experiment more with a limiter and raise the overall levels because I don't want that sound I get in the lows when using the compressor.

Waves makes some nice Plugins for this

i use L2 with all my recordings - they have since replaced that with the L3 Ultramaximizer

I may try that waves plugin. I'm a little confused because I didn't see what software it plugs in to. Is it just something you use independantly? Maybe I missed it.

I don't have the gear you have but I have always liked your recordings. I have got some good sounds lately due to mic placement and great rooms etc.  If I could just tone down the harshness they would sound really great. Thanks Mikey and Brian for the input.

I didn't mention as many details in the original post because I am interested in any ideas. Now that I have given more details maybe I can get some more ideas. Thanks everyone.

easy jim

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 06:38:50 PM »
When I use compression the bass frequencies seem to be boosted too much in relation to the other sounds. Also, the kick drum sounds really artificial to me. I guess I should play around more with the settings. Maybe I should experiment more with a limiter and raise the overall levels because I don't want that sound I get in the lows when using the compressor.

In a live setting, the bass frequencies are frequently at higher spl's than the rest of the frequency range.  Thus, adding compression will tend to 'fatten' the low end in the mix a bit with a typical live recording.  To address this, I typically add a high-pass filter somwhere between 40-80hz with a ParaEQ plug-in - post-compression - to roll off the excess of the low-low end. 

Aside from that, there ought to also be a multi-band compressor plug-in in Protools which you could use to compress the dynamics of specific frequency ranges without affecting others.

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 06:53:25 PM »

I may try that waves plugin. I'm a little confused because I didn't see what software it plugs in to. Is it just something you use independantly? Maybe I missed it.

I don't have the gear you have but I have always liked your recordings. I have got some good sounds lately due to mic placement and great rooms etc.  If I could just tone down the harshness they would sound really great. Thanks Mikey and Brian for the input.

I didn't mention as many details in the original post because I am interested in any ideas. Now that I have given more details maybe I can get some more ideas. Thanks everyone.

the waves plugin is a VST and should work with just about all of the common audio editing programs - it should work with protools

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 07:23:50 PM »
The only problem with the Waves plugin:  I've typically seen it available as part of a bundle of plugins, and it's expensive $$$$$.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 07:27:34 PM »
The only problem with the Waves plugin:  I've typically seen it available as part of a bundle of plugins, and it's expensive $$$$$.

holy shit you aren't kidding

L3 - Native $600
L3 - Bundle $1200

:o

Offline Keyd

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 06:19:07 AM »

In a live setting, the bass frequencies are frequently at higher spl's than the rest of the frequency range.  Thus, adding compression will tend to 'fatten' the low end in the mix a bit with a typical live recording.  To address this, I typically add a high-pass filter somwhere between 40-80hz with a ParaEQ plug-in - post-compression - to roll off the excess of the low-low end. 

Aside from that, there ought to also be a multi-band compressor plug-in in Protools which you could use to compress the dynamics of specific frequency ranges without affecting others.

I tried different settings with the compressor and now I don't like the sound of the hi-hats.  ::)

I think lately my ears are even more sensitive than usual.

I will look for a multi-band compressor, try some more eq, and I will do some more research on the waves plugins.

It's frustrating when it all sounds good except the louder sounds have too much punch.

I like the preamp but maybe I will try more gain on the recorder and less from the pre and see how that sounds.
I would imagine worse but I may give it a try.

First, I think I will get a new cable to go from the preamp to the recorder.
I am just using one I got at radio shack that I think is intended for ipods.
I won't go overboard on spending a whole lot of $ on this, but it can't hurt the situation.

Thanks for the inpu+T's. I'm still open to any other ideas if anyone else has any.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 06:45:23 AM by Keyd »

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 07:22:25 AM »
A more tedious process is using automation when your recording starts to get too loud.  Smoothly add it to reduce volume when you think its too loud and then bring it back up when it gets softer.  Although you have to be careful how you use it so you don't take your recording on a roller coaster ride. 
481(3)>722

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 11:25:52 AM »
Just in case--Keyd, are you aware that when you play back any music recording and then play it back again louder, the bass will seem to increase? That's a natural result of the way human hearing works. The bass-vs.-midrange balance is always a function of the loudness levels at which we're listening.

That's why there's a "loudness" button on hifi amplifiers and receivers--because the converse is also true; when you listen at lower loudness levels than the sound was recorded at originally, it will seem to lack bass. (It doesn't really, in terms of physical acoustics, but to our ears it does.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contours is a nice article on the subject (today at least).

A lot of people who listen to rock music like speakers with extra bass and mid-bass response because it serves as a natural "loudness" button--it lets them get some of the sense of balance which they would hear at a loud rock concert, without having to blast the music to get it.

Of course that lack of blast is a serious deficiency in itself--but when you live around other human beings, you sometimes have to put up with a lot.

--best regards
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 11:30:12 AM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Keyd

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 05:38:48 PM »
A more tedious process is using automation when your recording starts to get too loud.  Smoothly add it to reduce volume when you think its too loud and then bring it back up when it gets softer.  Although you have to be careful how you use it so you don't take your recording on a roller coaster ride. 

I actually thought about this but the problem is I don't feel like doing it for the many transfers I am in the middle of. I know what you mean about the roller coaster ride.    :o

Just in case--Keyd, are you aware that when you play back any music recording and then play it back again louder, the bass will seem to increase? That's a natural result of the way human hearing works. The bass-vs.-midrange balance is always a function of the loudness levels at which we're listening.

That's why there's a "loudness" button on hifi amplifiers and receivers--because the converse is also true; when you listen at lower loudness levels than the sound was recorded at originally, it will seem to lack bass. (It doesn't really, in terms of physical acoustics, but to our ears it does.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contours is a nice article on the subject (today at least).

A lot of people who listen to rock music like speakers with extra bass and mid-bass response because it serves as a natural "loudness" button--it lets them get some of the sense of balance which they would hear at a loud rock concert, without having to blast the music to get it.

Of course that lack of blast is a serious deficiency in itself--but when you live around other human beings, you sometimes have to put up with a lot.

--best regards

That is interesting. Thanks I will read that.

I have problems with the snare and cymbals and not the bass. I actually think it is as loud at the show but I think it bothers me when I'm not at the show and listening on a stereo. That's a theroy I am working on. It's interesting that I have almost the opposite interpretation. I've heard when you get older you lose hearing in the higher frequencies but I seem to still hear an extended range and I believe I am now more sensitive to the higher frequencies.

I do notice a little bit when at lower levels the bass seems lower, especially on studio recordings but I know when I pay more attention that it isn't.

I'm still trying to think of ways to limit the brash loud sounds both in the recording process and in post.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com