Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: WaveLab 5.01a Question  (Read 2205 times)

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
WaveLab 5.01a Question
« on: February 27, 2008, 09:41:37 PM »
Is there a way in WaveLab 5.01a when adding gain to make it so it never goes over 0db or would I have to normalize to do that?

Harrison
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 08:41:00 PM by Dutchman1101 »

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re: WaveLab 5.01a Question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 09:44:59 PM »
isnt that the exact definition of what normalizing does? you could just raise the gain in pieces instead of the whole file/song/set. but that would sound funny and be a pita. whats wrong w/ normalizing?
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:49:34 AM »
You could apply a limiter before the gain boost...

Offline T.J.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Always look on the Bright Side of Life
    • My shows taped on LMA
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 10:31:14 AM »
whenever i add gain in wavelab, i just get the peak level first and add gain close to zero.

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 05:29:22 PM »
Normalizing is the same as adding gain but normalizing wont go past 0db, correct? Essentially doing exactly what I asked in my first post?

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 02:53:06 PM »
whenever i add gain in wavelab, i just get the peak level first and add gain close to zero.

i do this ^^ versus normalizing. but i dont know why.

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 03:02:12 PM »
Does normilizing degrade the quality at all? From the research I have done since I started this thread it looks like it is the same as adding gain but it just wont let you go past 0db.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 03:06:50 PM »
i really dont know. my gut tells me (w/o any research) that adding gain across the whole file seems to make more sense than just raising it in certain areas. could it also lower some louder sections?

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 03:35:59 PM »
typically, Normalizing does the exact same thing as adding gain, but doesn't allow any peaks to go over 0dB.  Normalizing will find the highest peak in the file, and make that 0dB (or -.5dB, or whatever you set it to), and will raise the gain of the entire file by the same amount.  This should sound the same as if you did the process yourself (by determining the what the highest peak it, and then adding gain manually to the whole file).

The confusion comes in here.  In some software programs (I'm at work, so I don't have WaveLab open in front of me), there is an option to Normalize based on average RMS value.  What that does is it'll raise the average RMS value of the whole file to a specific point.  The problem with this is that it doesn't look at the peak values at all, so if you raise the average RMS level by too much, it could push the peaks beyond 0dBfs and create clipping.  You don't want to normalize with this method.  But if you stick to the first method (Normalize based on peak values), you'll be all set.

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 03:42:06 PM »
great explanation. +t

Offline Dutchman1101

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 04:41:13 PM »
typically, Normalizing does the exact same thing as adding gain, but doesn't allow any peaks to go over 0dB.  Normalizing will find the highest peak in the file, and make that 0dB (or -.5dB, or whatever you set it to), and will raise the gain of the entire file by the same amount.  This should sound the same as if you did the process yourself (by determining the what the highest peak it, and then adding gain manually to the whole file).

The confusion comes in here.  In some software programs (I'm at work, so I don't have WaveLab open in front of me), there is an option to Normalize based on average RMS value.  What that does is it'll raise the average RMS value of the whole file to a specific point.  The problem with this is that it doesn't look at the peak values at all, so if you raise the average RMS level by too much, it could push the peaks beyond 0dBfs and create clipping.  You don't want to normalize with this method.  But if you stick to the first method (Normalize based on peak values), you'll be all set.

Thanks! +T

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com