Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audio-Technica AT933s any good?  (Read 17573 times)

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Audio-Technica AT933s any good?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2004, 06:45:52 PM »
yep, I'll get the part number for the 933s if you want it

Offline John Kelly

• Been a while...
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • The Jokell
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2004, 06:46:26 PM »
Yeah, if you give the mics phantom power you increase their SPL (12dbs, right?) and their range.  If cost is a concern you may want to start with the battery box option and get them un-modded later.  I ran the 933s for a long time with the battery power and I don't regret it at all.

Cool, thanks for the info. I've been running the SP933's for about 5 years now and have always loved the sound -- although I have had a few brickwalling issues when the music is loud (note: the Oade line mod for my Sony deck helped with this also). I didn't know there was a phantom power/933 mod option. Thanks again.  :)

to anyone that wants the SP mod....

you buy the parts, i can do the mod with a 1 day turnaround.  i've done plenty to my friends' AT caps.

marc

So you mean the "unmod" right? ;D
Sennheiser MKH8040st > SD 702
XBL/PSN/Steam ID: thejokell

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2004, 06:49:46 PM »
Yeah, if you give the mics phantom power you increase their SPL (12dbs, right?) and their range.  If cost is a concern you may want to start with the battery box option and get them un-modded later.  I ran the 933s for a long time with the battery power and I don't regret it at all.

Cool, thanks for the info. I've been running the SP933's for about 5 years now and have always loved the sound -- although I have had a few brickwalling issues when the music is loud (note: the Oade line mod for my Sony deck helped with this also). I didn't know there was a phantom power/933 mod option. Thanks again.  :)

to anyone that wants the SP mod....

you buy the parts, i can do the mod with a 1 day turnaround.  i've done plenty to my friends' AT caps.

marc

So you mean the "unmod" right? ;D

jk;

i guess you're right. "i'll undo what SP has done" or "i'll liberate them puppies".  ;D

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Zaphod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2004, 08:51:25 PM »
Excuse me just trying to get this straight...

I get a set from SP, hack off the miniplug, and then put on XLRs, and then they can take the phantom 48v? No need for Samson adapters?
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2004, 10:26:35 PM »
Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing about the need for the adapters.

Also, where's the best place(s) to buy the Samson adapters?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2004, 10:48:05 PM »
Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing about the need for the adapters.

Also, where's the best place(s) to buy the Samson adapters?

you need the adaptors.  you can not provide phantom w/o them.  i've never used the Samson brand, but i hear they work fine.  SP sells the Samson for $30/ea. roughly.  AT8533(x) are $60/ea. roughly.

AT's models are:  AT8533x and AT8533.  you could also use AT8531, but they are a combo of 1.5v battery power or phantom power and are larger than the 8533's, which are the -slightly- longer than male XLR connectors.

the difference b/w 8533 and 8533x are:

8533: mini xlr male input, no rolloff switch
8533x: screw terminal, rolloff (150hz, 6dB/octave) switch built in.

marc

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2004, 11:03:37 PM »
Thanks Marc!  For educational purposes, why do they need the adapters?  What would happen if you powered them without it?

Because it looks like you would still be delivering 48V volts to the proper pins, and ground to the third pin.

Check this out also-- http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=118&brandID=2

Look at the PDF--I'm not sure what it means, but it looks as if you might be able to not use the adapter, but if you run long cable lengths then you would be introducing noise.
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2004, 11:18:05 PM »
Thanks Marc!  For educational purposes, why do they need the adapters?  What would happen if you powered them without it?

Because it looks like you would still be delivering 48V volts to the proper pins, and ground to the third pin.

Check this out also-- http://www.samsontech.com/products/productpage.cfm?prodID=118&brandID=2

Look at the PDF--I'm not sure what it means, but it looks as if you might be able to not use the adapter, but if you run long cable lengths then you would be introducing noise.

the "phantom power adaptors" are like mic "bodies".  just as you can't apply direct 48v phantom to mk4 or ak40's without the cmcX or km100, respectively, you can't put 48v across pins 2 and 3 to a mic capsule alone.

without the circuitry in the bodies, phantom power doesn't apply.  believe you me, i've tried bypassing those adaptors for my stealth rig!!  my next project is taking the circuitry out of my at8533 and stuff them inside my mv100 for more stealth!!

marc

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2004, 11:20:46 PM »
But, you can apply 9v to pin 2 and 3 right?  That is all that SP is doing isn't it?
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2004, 11:28:12 PM »
SP is sold out of the samson's right now :-\

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2004, 11:35:55 PM »
But, you can apply 9v to pin 2 and 3 right?  That is all that SP is doing isn't it?

no.

pin 3 is grounded in a non-phantom powering. at least that's how the SP mics are wired.

marc

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2004, 11:40:14 PM »
ok, so where is the 9v going then?

I have some mics that are unmod'd that I would like to mod (just got a ad20mod to use em with)

so how would I mod em in this case?
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2004, 11:41:55 PM »
Thanks Marc!

Yeah, Schwill, I'm looking to buy some adapters asap.  It looks like Samson sells stuff on their site (shopping cart at bottom) but where to actually buy stuff I don't know.  Maybe I'll call them in the morning.

Would any of my local stores (Guitar Center, or whatever) sell these?

mikesus--I can't remember which pin is what exactly, but in Phantom power, the hot 48V terminal would be the same as the 9V plus terminal.  Both grounds are the same.  But the reference 48V on the phantom mics is the same as battery power mic's ground.

48V+=9V
48Vref=ground
ground=ground

Make sense?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Sean Gallemore

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2004, 11:50:09 PM »
ok, so where is the 9v going then?

I have some mics that are unmod'd that I would like to mod (just got a ad20mod to use em with)

so how would I mod em in this case?

it's going to the + conductor. the return lead (-) is grounded and so is the shield.  it's unbalanced. not like a balanced microphone where you have equal voltages across pins 2 and 3 respect to ground. this is phantom power by definition.

it's not too difficult to re-balance SP AT mics. as long as you're ok with soldering tiny conductors to tiny mini-xlr pins, you're fine.  the difference in sound quality is quite noticeable too.

marc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com