Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: More stealth, MBHO 603a  (Read 4438 times)

Uncle Jimmy

• Trade Count: (0)
More stealth, MBHO 603a
« on: May 27, 2004, 05:18:09 PM »
Folks,

I need some advice. I have a set of MBHO 603a's that i have the active cables for. This means i can run the capsules in a hat or on a stealth clamp or whateveer and keep the bodies on my person. For the rig i have, i use a V2 and an ADC-20 into my JB3.
   The V2>ADC is too bulky to crotch or otherwise sneak around, so i am looking for a different option.
  I know there is a lot of stealth discussion, but i already have the mics i want to use (and the recorder) so i need to know what will fit in between that is more portable. Any and all success stories are appreciated. (Please don't say "look at the threads" because i did, and there is too much info and opinion about stuff that is not my situation.)

Thanks a bunch,
-UJ

Offline bush

• "Taper Pimp"
  • Taperssection Member
  • Steppin to the beat
Re:More stealth, MBHO 603a
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 05:41:38 PM »
I'd sell the v2>adc20 and get something with some warmth.

all that thinness and clarity hurts my ears ;)

Team Bama--Duct tape Mafia

"RIGLESS"

1985 CJ-7 stretched on 38's

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 06:11:00 PM »
i swear to jeebus i don't have any frame of reference for this. talk to me, baby.

i'd love to hear your (and anybody else's) opinion on where this set-up sits in the spectrum of gear.

even more importantly, though, i'd like to stealth and that stuff is huge. i was thinking of going to a V3 anyway, since i could scrap the A/D, but i am wide open to suggestions. and the V3 is still kinda big. i was hoping to hear some tradeoffs of quality vs size or price or preference of any type.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 11:04:05 PM »
they sound damn good into a mp-2, imho.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 11:25:38 PM »
with the mbho's my favorite combo was V2-->modsbm-1, the V2 made everything nice and tight, the modsbm-1 added the warmth I liked, but this is not very stealthable either.

mp-2-->modsbm-1 would be my second choice.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Chapper

• Taperssection Member
  • Do the chickens have large talons?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2004, 02:49:48 AM »
they sound damn good into a mp-2, imho.
Agreed....nice combo.   The MP2 is a great steal pre.  
..Just be glad you live in America,
Relax and be yourself,
Because if you didn't live here in America,
You'd proabably live somewhere else.."
David Lowery

Offline sleepypedro

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 09:17:45 AM »
i stealth on a regular basis with mbho > mp2 > d8.  love it, and have dozens of example tapes if you need to hear 'em.  

if i'm doing a show that's a little less rigorous with regard to security and i don't mind an extra bit of bulk in the fanny pack, i run the mbho > mp2 > modSBM > d8 combo just as suggested!

you'll love it.

Offline bush

• "Taper Pimp"
  • Taperssection Member
  • Steppin to the beat
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 09:32:06 AM »
i swear to jeebus i don't have any frame of reference for this. talk to me, baby.

All the mbho>v2>adc20 tape I've heard just really hurt my ears after a little listening. They have this sharp digital sound to them.

There's some good advice on where to go if you want to go stealth.
If it was me, I'd probably go mp2>mod-sbm-1, that will get you that warmth I spoke of.
 I've also heard some of Joe W.'s mbho>warmmod UA-5 tapes that sounded really nice.

Go out and find some tapes with these combos and give them a listen, let your ears decide ;D
Team Bama--Duct tape Mafia

"RIGLESS"

1985 CJ-7 stretched on 38's

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 01:40:10 PM »
MBHOs are bright to my ears, and the ADC20 is painfully bright to my ears.  I think the V2 complements them well with the right ADC.  I loved my MBHOs running V2 > modSBM-1.

Nothing new here:  as others have mentioned, I also like MBHO > MP2 > modSBM-1.  Or MBHO > MP2 > recorder would probably sound pretty good.  Anything to give the sound some warmth.  The MP2 is a relatively inexpensive pre that's great for stealthing and matches the MBHOs well, IMO.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 03:08:02 PM »
Another option would be PS2 for phantom with line transformers into a modSBM.  That would sound very nice as well, and be a small stealthable package.  The modSBM will provide a little warmth and match with the MBHOs well, IMO.   I think that this would provide better sound than using an MP2 - just my opinion however.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2004, 02:07:08 PM »
Gotta give another thumbs up to the mbho>mp2 combo. They were made for each other. Bright sounding mics and a fat, warm pre...perfect combination.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2004, 09:34:52 AM »
Everybody,

Thanks for the tips so far. Just one thing.... how can an A/D make anything "brighter" or "warmer" ? The preamp I can understand, but shouldn't the A/D be invisible, the better the unit?

J----

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004, 01:35:27 PM »
how can an A/D make anything "brighter" or "warmer" ? The preamp I can understand, but shouldn't the A/D be invisible, the better the unit?

Just like mics and preamps, different ADCs have different sonic signatures.  One of the reasons I love the V3 ADC is because it's so smooth and natural, transparent to my ears (at 16-bit, can't speak to 24-bit...yet).  I find the MMe at 16-bit more hyped and colored, not as favorable to my ears.  Other ADCs have their own sonic signatures as well.  It's simply a matter of personal preference.
Roland R-05

Uncle Jimmy

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2004, 02:46:15 PM »
OK, but let's talk brass tacks here. What is the A/D doing to the signal that would make it sound warm or whatever? It must be in the analog processing, because digital is digital. And I would think that for a devoted D/A, there would be as little analog conditioning as well.

Has anyone used the same set-up of all else and just swapped the A/d?

I'm still skeptical on this one, but optimistically so.

J----

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2004, 02:57:15 PM »
The analog design all the way up to the ADC chip - and the ADC chip itself - impacts the sonic signature of the device.  I've run the same gear but swapped out ADCs and was surprised at the difference it made in the recordings.  Generally more subtle than the preamp's sonic signature, but much more explicit than I expected.
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com