Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Did I kill my battery box?  (Read 9466 times)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Did I kill my battery box?
« on: August 31, 2013, 04:03:40 PM »
Just got this microphone madness battery box.  Connected AT pro45 mics to it.  Seemed to power the mics okay.  Tried another set of homebrew mics, and now nothing even with a new battery.  I assume I should be able to measure voltage at the tip of the mini plug if it was working correctly?

Fixable or just an expensive lesson? 

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Did I kill my battery box?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 01:02:37 AM »
Just got this microphone madness battery box.  Connected AT pro45 mics to it.  Seemed to power the mics okay.  Tried another set of homebrew mics, and now nothing even with a new battery.  I assume I should be able to measure voltage at the tip of the mini plug if it was working correctly?

Fixable or just an expensive lesson?
You should see voltage between ground and the ring and tip. Of the output of the battery box, If not check your battery if the battery is ok send back the battery box its defective.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 09:30:09 AM »
New battery shows 9.18v on my meter.  Each leg of the BB output shows 9.17v, but no audio is passing.  I recorded about 7 minutes when I first got it with no problems.  The problem started when I tried using some homebrew mics that must have had a short.  I don't want to make any claim against the seller if I am the one that did this.

Fried resistors?  Capacitors?  This BB has 4 bass roll off switches per channel  with 4 different capacitors of different values each channel labeled L61105, L67154, 4L6823 and L64183.  Does this mean 1uf, .15uf, .082uf and .018uf?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 09:51:05 AM by 2manyrocks »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 09:52:24 AM »
New battery shows 9.18v on my meter.  Each leg of the BB output shows 9.17v, but no audio is passing.  I recorded about 7 minutes when I first got it with no problems.  The problem started when I tried using some homebrew mics that must have had a short.  I don't want to make any claim against the seller if I am the one that did this.

Fried resistors?  Capacitors?  To make it worse, this BB has 4 bass roll off switches so there appear to be 8 capacitors of different values in the BB.
i would seriously doubt you fried  any resistors. I would get a better set of mics that you know works and try them direct with a recorder that provides plug in power and confirm they are working then thy the battery box again.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 12:58:51 PM »
I am not sure about the uf values.  I tried to look them up based on the numbers on the caps and I thought the uF values didn't make sense.   

The PRo45 are the only powered mics I have that will even run on 9v.  All my other mics are dynamics or require p48 power.  The pro45 mics are working with my DR-680 on phantom power. 

I forgot to turn off PIP when I first tried the box.  I turned off PIP and then recorded for 7 minutes fine.  All the trouble began with the homebrew mics. 

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 05:17:16 PM »
The pin tip on the miniplug that plugs into my recorder shows current of about .30v and then drops to zero if I hold it long enough.  The next ring on the same plug shows current of .20 and drops the same way.  I don't get any mA reading (tester set to 20mA-is that where it should be set?) on the tip or the ring on the miniplug that plugs into the recorder.

The input on the BB box doesn't show any mA on either tip or ring, but does show 9.17v on each. 

The Pro45s are factory XLR.  I don't have any mics that run on PIP. 

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 05:49:56 PM »
I am confused why my meter shows no mA, but shows 9.17 volts on the female input to the bb where the mics plug into the bb. 

The pro45 will run on 9v, but not plug in power, if that explains what I'm attempting to say.

Using the 20k scale, one resistor reads 9.96 and the other 9.84.

My level of knowledge about this is pretty low--so I could be doing several things wrong and not realize it. 

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 06:13:50 PM »
The Pro45s worked when first connected to the BB, but don't work with the BB now.  They still work with my DR-680 on phantom power.

Switching to a different meter, the female input now reads .93mA and 9.10v on each leg, and the resistors show 9.95. 

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 10:33:22 PM »
Thank you for helping me with this.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.101 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com