Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Manual SLR lens question - Zenit camera  (Read 2018 times)

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't sweat the technique
Manual SLR lens question - Zenit camera
« on: December 19, 2005, 04:10:31 AM »
OK, I just bought a Zenit 12xp yesterday.  It is a Russian manual SLR from the late 1970s, but was in outstanding condition and was only $40 with a new Zenitar-M 50mm lens.  I basically have two questions:

1.) Are there any quality differences between the Zenitar-M and the Helios 44 lenses?  The Helios was the standard lens for this camera, and the Zenitar was the standard for the Zenit 19, which was the "ultimate" Zenit, produced in the late 1980s.  I could have my choice, but just chose the Zenitar-M because it was new.  I searched all over the Internet and cannot find any information whatsoever on the Zenitar-M (lots on the Helios, which is a very good lens, though).

2.) More generally, what would be a good focal length lens to get after the 50mm?  I was thinking of a 135 telephoto or a 80-270 zoom.  If I want to get a little more closer, which would most of you recommend?  I can get good Jupiter or Helios lenses in those lengths for the Zenit.  Just curious.

I know that this camera is more than a bit obscure to those of you in the States, but I thought I would ask anyway.  The Zenit was (is) the world's most popular SLR.  I am now trying to locate a clean Zorki 4k (copy of a Leica III) which is getting to be a nightmare.  Most of the ones in Tbilisi are dirty as all hell and more importantly, the Jupiter lenses on them are scratched to shit.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Stomach Full of Regret
Re: Manual SLR lens question - Zenit camera
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005, 09:12:00 AM »
sorry, i can't comment on the difference between the zenitar-m and the helios lenses.  as far as a complimentary lens to the 50mm, i would say go with the 80-270 zoom.  it will give you far more flexibility than the 135mm (which is  a fixed focal length lens) and includes the 135mm length.  however, the 135 is likely to have better optics than the zoom   and is likely a "faster" lens, meaning it has a larger maximum aperture, allowing you to shoot at higher shutter speeds to get the same level of exposure as the zoom.  it really depends, i guess, on what your main use is...if you will be mostly shooting in bright conditions, the zoom would be fine, but if you wanted to do some indoor shooting without a flash, the 135 is likely to be a better solution...

do you have the specs on those two lens...what is the aperture rating of the two lenses?

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
Re: Manual SLR lens question - Zenit camera
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 01:36:36 AM »
The aperture rating of the Zenitar-M (the one I have) is 1.7, while the Helios is 2.0.  The Zenitar-M is for use with either a manual or an automatic camera, which is a bit surprising considering that Zenit only produced manual cameras.

I will try to locate a zoom lens and get back to you with the specs.  I will have to go to the Dry Bridge in Tbilisi for that one, probably in the next week or so.  I bought this stuff to re-learn how to take pictures.  I used to be a professional when I was in college, shooting with the Nikon F2.  I then bought a Pentax SLR of my own and I got really lazy with the full automatic modes.  In the Peace Corps, I have a shitty Olympus point and shoot, which I am in love with because it is indestructible and takes decent pictures.  I need to re-learn how to actually operate a camera again, though, and the Zenit is about as manual as it gets.

Thanks for the advice!
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.041 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com