Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: EQ recording basics, pro/cons  (Read 6979 times)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
EQ recording basics, pro/cons
« on: October 15, 2014, 08:49:33 AM »
So I never really mess with my recordings besides for the main reason of...I feel what I record is what it sounded like
But talking/reading more on the subject has me thinking, why not have two versions - as recorded and eq

Can anyone tell me where to start and what the pros/cons are?
I use audacity if it matters
I am sure less is more but maybe not

Tia
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: EQ recording basics, pro/cons
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 09:00:25 AM »
I do whatever it takes to make the recording sound the best to ME. I don't care what other people think. I record for myself, but share most of what I record. Hopefully everyone is happy, but if they aren't that's their problem.

That being said, I keep a copy of the original in case I change my mind. I'm also willing to share any original masters in case someone else wants to have a crack at it.

One thing I've learned is to give the final product a rest before sharing. I find that the whole post processing thing makes my ears tired. Frequently when I go back and listen to the final product that I still need to make some more adjustments. More often than not, I have the highs a little bit too high. When I come back with rested ears I can get it dialed in a little better.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »
Storage space is cheap, so *always* keep a copy of your masters. Keep a copy of your session file too, so if you decide to revisit it, then you're not starting from scratch.

If you work on it frequently, you'll get better at it. Inevitably, you'll listen to something you thought sounded good when you first started and go "Damn I can do so much better now."
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 10:25:51 AM »
As a starting point, I sometimes will look at a frequency analyzer to see if there are any overly weak or strong areas in the spectrum. I monitor through iZotope Ozone's equalizer, because it has the "6 db guide" line you can overlay as a rough target.

With my gear and in clubs, where I usually record, there is normally a "hole" somewhere in the midrange. I find myself often making a small, wide boost in that area, generally something like 1 or 2 db (I don't actually use the Ozone EQ for the adjustment but you can use whatever you like).

I may make other adjustments as needed, but many times one gentle correction makes a large improvement in my recordings.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 10:32:24 AM »
One thing I've learned is to give the final product a rest before sharing. I find that the whole post processing thing makes my ears tired. Frequently when I go back and listen to the final product that I still need to make some more adjustments. More often than not, I have the highs a little bit too high. When I come back with rested ears I can get it dialed in a little better.

Strongly agreed. I would add that lots of "micro-breaks" while you're working help, as well as occasionally listening to snippets from recordings you know and like to help "reset" your ear.

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 12:16:39 PM »
I've worked primarily with SBD recordings and I've absolutely needed some mastering processing to bring the dry SBD's to life in an attempt to closely approximate what it actually sounded like live.  I've recently assembled a budget recording rig (SP-C4's > DR-60D) and have been capturing the AUD recording to do a matrix mix with the SBD.  I find my AUD recording likewise needs processing for it to sound like it did when I was there.  I agree the less is more is the right way to approach mastering.  However, no one is standing over my shoulder while mastering; so I too process as necessary for it to sound good to me.  Even after I upload to LMA, I listen again to the finished shows a day or two later for anything I may need to tweak or work on for the next show and next round of mastering.  That break really helps me listen with fresh ears.

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 12:46:26 PM »
When I EQ I will always grab a piece from the middle to the end of the show and set my EQ using those pieces.  If you EQ using the very beginning of the show you don't really give the FOH a crack at getting it right.  I have EQ'd shows in the past where I put the recording on from the beginning, and decide my EQ levels in the first song.  Then towards the end of the set it sounds fatiguing.

I always start with removing frequencies instead of adding them.  For me and the type of music I often record I find nasty resonant frequencies around 100-200Hz.  Sometimes, just a 5db reduction in one nasty frequency cleans it up dramatically.

Always keep your masters untouched..

Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 02:46:09 PM »
^ This.
When I EQ I always make a series of narrow (high Q) cuts across the frequency spectrum. There are usually multiple offenders in the 150-300hz range and also in the say 2500-4000 bracket.

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 03:11:28 PM »
I do the small-wide-boost as general tone shaping first* and then follow with narrow cuts for more specific correction*.

* if needed

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 05:24:19 PM »
When I EQ I will always grab a piece from the middle to the end of the show and set my EQ using those pieces.  If you EQ using the very beginning of the show you don't really give the FOH a crack at getting it right.  I have EQ'd shows in the past where I put the recording on from the beginning, and decide my EQ levels in the first song.  Then towards the end of the set it sounds fatiguing.

I always start with removing frequencies instead of adding them.  For me and the type of music I often record I find nasty resonant frequencies around 100-200Hz.  Sometimes, just a 5db reduction in one nasty frequency cleans it up dramatically.

Always keep your masters untouched..

Jesse
EXCELLENT takeaway advice on all three points! 

I use a highpass resonant filter rolling off sharply anything below 30Hz and I have those same "nasty resonant  frequencies around 100-200Hz".  Right now my reduction has been -2.7db.   I've been gun shy about reducing it further, however maybe I'm being too conservative.   

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 09:39:33 AM »
I would say start with a graphic eq that you can work with in real time and just practice.  You can get a grasp pretty quickly of how certain frequencies sound and how best to adjust different sounds.

I haven't tried any other programs but have found reaper's eq plugin to be pretty effective and user friendly.

Definitely agree with Jesse and others on the low end issues.  I'll often cut an narrow band around 100 Hz where there is some problematic bass resonance.  I'll take a narrow band and pull the point up like 10-15 dbs and slowly drag it around the area until the issue is really clearly noticeable and cut it at that point.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 10:08:06 AM »
Lots of solid advice so far. Lee and I have posted about this in the past and some of that is worth reading (and I sadly don't have the time to track down the posts right now, maybe later).

One thing nobody has mentioned is the value in having an editor that can pass audio through it in real time to monitor (something Audacity won't do last I checked).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »
Can someone recommend a book or two on mixing that might be of benefit for the novice handling multi-channel soundboards? 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 11:38:34 AM »
As a starting point, I sometimes will look at a frequency analyzer to see if there are any overly weak or strong areas in the spectrum.

Dont mean to hijack the thread but this question may also be relavant to the OP.
I have Spek installed but have no idea how to read the output.
What would the output attached show?

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Southern Shelter
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2014, 01:20:08 PM »
As a starting point, I sometimes will look at a frequency analyzer to see if there are any overly weak or strong areas in the spectrum.

Dont mean to hijack the thread but this question may also be relavant to the OP.
I have Spek installed but have no idea how to read the output.
What would the output attached show?

Here's an example of what I'm looking at in Ozone's EQ:

The grey line is a guide. If an area is well below or above that line, I might try an adjustment there to see if it improves it. It helps train your ear/brain to identify frequency ranges, and eventually you get better at knowing what should be adjusted by ear, without having to refer to the graph.

I'm not sure how to interpret the type of graph you've posted, maybe someone else can chime in on that.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 02:26:35 PM by Sloan Simpson »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.094 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com