Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: off-center configs  (Read 5218 times)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
off-center configs
« on: April 10, 2003, 11:58:06 AM »
tonight at the 9:30, i'm thinking of experimenting with my configuration a bit.  the "section" is far back left, about even or just to the outside of the left stack.  i'd say the stacks are about 25-30 feet apart, 16-18 feet off the ground and about 45-50 feet from the section.  i've run x,y and ortf back there with the 140's and i generally prefer x,y.  ortf seems to create a weird image, kind of off center and out of phase a bit, i think.  not terrible, but not outstanding.  any other suggestions for configuring from back there?  i may try to run DIN or a variation with a lesser included angle, what do you all think?  will lessening the angle create too "narrow" of an image or any other problems?  

thanks

-damon

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
Re:off-center configs
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2003, 12:25:15 PM »
do you have the ability to do ortf with a smaller angle?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline schoeps t00bes

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2003, 03:17:23 PM »
i have run DIN there several times with good results.
just get as far right as you can and you won'tbe off center by more than a couple feet.  
have fun!!!
kdtu right?
dave
Fuck MSG!!!

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2003, 04:35:45 PM »
i have the AKG t-bar so it's adjustable from 8" on inward, so yeah i can do ortf with a lesser angle...what angle do you think i should run at that spacing, trey?

dave, yep, it's kdtu...they've actually got the section further off left now.  the furthest right they'll let you go know is pretty much even with the left stack.  the only time recently they let anyone run a stand right in front of the board was for STS9 because the place was half full.  that's why i usually try to go dfc on the balcony rail, but i don't feel like standing up there alone for the entire show tonight as my usual partner up there isn't coming on account of chitown panic.

thanks for the tips +T both of ya.
-damon

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2003, 05:04:45 PM »
hell i dunno angle numbers just eyeball less, dont get down to an a-b. The more I picture it and think maybe a less angled din would be best I just an experimenter with angles in rooms that are diificult to mic.
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2003, 06:12:29 PM »
I guess DIN would be a "lesser angled ORTF" ?? 90 degree's vs. 110. I would try XY in that spot personally if you are directly in front of one stack. If you don't like it though DIN really is your only other option. Experiment & have fun ;D
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2003, 06:34:44 PM »
If it's KDTU at the 9:30, be sure and give a big hello to jon rabhan for me. tell him mark says hey. i think he is now running km-140 > v3 > d8

"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2003, 11:58:24 AM »
so i ran the 140's at about 24 cm apart, 65-70 degrees so that each mic was essentially pointed a little outside of each stack.  i think it sounds really nice.  the image seems to be pretty well centered but not nearly as focused as when i ran x,y back there.  but it also seems to be much more "coherent" than ortf.  this seems like a pretty good way to go, next time i'll lessen the difference between the caps a bit.  interestingly, i managed not to have an overwhelming number of clanging bottles that you nornally get in there.  

thanks for all the suggestions.

-damon

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com