Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: audioroot femto & BMCC  (Read 3316 times)

Offline lealain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
audioroot femto & BMCC
« on: April 14, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
I am testing a newly bought audio device, the Audioroot Femto. I use it in combination with my BMCC.
Allthough I thought that the way to go was to set the input levels as low as possible (like what I was used with my Canon5d) and then boost the power from the Audioroot. However, when I look on the forum, I see that people tend to set the channel inputs on 85%, which is in contrast with what I just said.
Haven't done a lot of testing so far, but I also had the feeling that 85% does a better job then lower settings.
When I lower the input channels to far (say 15%) I get the feeling that I loose a lot of latitude (I mean that there's a very small difference between audio being too soft, (-24/30DB and the -6DB), it's harder to get it right to -6DB).

I'm kinda new in the audio business, so I would be very happy with some advice

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
Re: audioroot femto & BMCC
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 09:01:58 AM »
I am testing a newly bought audio device, the Audioroot Femto. I use it in combination with my BMCC.
Allthough I thought that the way to go was to set the input levels as low as possible (like what I was used with my Canon5d) and then boost the power from the Audioroot. However, when I look on the forum, I see that people tend to set the channel inputs on 85%, which is in contrast with what I just said.
Haven't done a lot of testing so far, but I also had the feeling that 85% does a better job then lower settings.
When I lower the input channels to far (say 15%) I get the feeling that I loose a lot of latitude (I mean that there's a very small difference between audio being too soft, (-24/30DB and the -6DB), it's harder to get it right to -6DB).

I'm kinda new in the audio business, so I would be very happy with some advice

You should just experiment as you already have with the different settings until you hear the quality you like. It's usually good to start with inputs and outputs set in the middle of the range and work up and down from there.

How do you like the Femto? It looks terrific. I was wondering what the price was and where you bought it.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 11:28:57 AM »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline lealain

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 03:40:03 AM »
I bought the Audioroot Femto a couple of days ago, still doing some testing with it in combination with the Black Magic Cinema Camera.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com