Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Canon VIXIA HF r800  (Read 8958 times)

Offline hellawaits77

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Canon VIXIA HF r800
« on: July 28, 2017, 04:40:48 PM »
In the market for a new camera.  I like what I've heard about this cam so far.  I've used my old Canon HV20 (well, two of them) since 2009.  I absolutely love that old thing, but I just think it's time for an upgrade.  I'm looking for something on the small side, as I typically  >:D, and the old HV20 is on the large side.  Also, the r800 has an external mic output, which I need.  Film almost exclusively metal shows in low to mid lighting.  This is also in my price range, as I simply can't justify spending a ton of $ on a hobby.

So essentially I'm asking if anyone has any experience, good or bad, with this rig.  Also, I don't know a ton about SD cards, as I have always preferred miniDV.  What class.type would be optimal in this case?  Any and all help is appreciated!

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Canon VIXIA HF r800
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 07:41:59 PM »
Honestly I don't think it's much of an improvement from the hv 20.I did notice that BH Photo has an open.box model for $50 less.

Although costing much more I would suggest a 4K camera such as Sony fdr ax33 or ax53.

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 10:33:51 PM »
I have two r300 and love them
The mic in works well and is adjustable
Knock off batteries are pretty cheap
I recently also bought a USB cable to run on external battery that works great too
Here is an example of a show I did https://youtu.be/sKY0ejH4zGk  pretty dark stage
https://youtu.be/d0H693giRAg zoomed out
https://youtu.be/GrEDNWua5R8 Screen shot
https://youtu.be/6YaV7VyKlXk Mix
« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 04:29:22 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline hellawaits77

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 03:32:34 PM »
Honestly I don't think it's much of an improvement from the hv 20.I did notice that BH Photo has an open.box model for $50 less.

Although costing much more I would suggest a 4K camera such as Sony fdr ax33 or ax53.

Thanks for your input.  Yeah I'm not expecting much more as far as video quality, it's moreso the smaller size and greatly improved zoom.

Thank you for suggestion those Sony's.  I've certainly considered 4K.  Can't justify paying the MSRP, but I'm watching some used ones.

Also - confirming that those Sony's DO HAVE an external mic input?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 03:35:01 PM by hellawaits77 »

Offline hellawaits77

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 03:34:24 PM »
I have two r300 and love them
The mic in works well and is adjustable
Knock off batteries are pretty cheap
I recently also bought a USB cable to run on external battery that works great too
Here is an example of a show I did https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=sKY0ejH4zGk pretty dark stage
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=d0H693giRAg zoomed out
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=GrEDNWua5R8 Screen shot
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=6YaV7VyKlXk Mix

Thanks for the response.  This cam will definitely be the one I select if I don't decide to go 4K.

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2019, 12:01:46 AM »
I realize that this is an old thread, but I think a lot of people who are new to this topic may read it, so I'm adding my 20 cents (allowing for inflation). I have a couple of Canon camcorders in this series. The less expensive models are amazing for what they offer at their price; they're a great way to get started and to explore whether or not one is really interested in video recording.

However, their real weakness is their really poor low-light performance--where "low light" includes many average-level, available-light situations--not just nighttime or dimmed house lights. It's quite "noisy", mainly because of the very small video sensor being used (one of the major cost-savers in this line). This, to me, is far more important than whether the camera is 4K or not. I upgraded to the G21 model a couple of years ago and it produces much nicer-looking video all around.

Don't get me wrong--I think that high-quality 4K video is amazing. But I'm happy to do without it, for the sake of (relatively) affordable, high-quality HD. For me, the specification of a camera's image sensor size is more important than how many pixels per frame it records.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 01:20:22 PM »
I got one of these in this series. I usually just run in auto mode outside with good results. Which setting would I need to fiddle with to improve low light performance?
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 10:53:21 PM »
That was my point--you can't get good low-light performance out of this model, because its sensor is simply too small.

I liked the camcorder quite well in other respects, but there's no getting around this limitation.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Barry M

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2020, 11:46:51 PM »
My kid uses one of these (church livestream gig), so we've been looking through the manual.  Apologies for flogging this resurrected horse.

It has a recommended illumination of 100 lux or more, which sounds decently gloomy (roughly thunderstorm coming, get inside quick light), but I'm sure the quality suffers as DSatz experienced. It's okay in a daylit interior, though. There are a couple of goofy special modes for really low light (0.4lx and 5lx) that use slower shutter speeds, but, yeah, sensor size.  The manual's up-front about the drawbacks of the low light modes:
  • Moving subjects may leave a trailing afterimage.
  • Picture quality may not be as good as in other modes.
  • White points may appear on the screen.
  • Autofocus may not work as well as in other modes.
Mic input seems to work okay for the streaming purpose, though with the usual gain staging and setting levels in the camera issues. There are "Audio Scene" presets, which sound dubious:  Standard, Music, Speech, Forest and Birds, Noise Suppression.

Manual's available here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/camcorders/consumer/vixia/vixia-hf-r800?tab=manuals

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2022, 11:15:59 AM »
Now that I have a child, I'm in the market for a video camera for the first time.  The initial use will be for things like Christmas morning so that we don't have to live the morning through our phones capturing video clips.  My family enjoys being able to rewatch things like this from the late 80s and early 90s, which were captured in their entirety on an old VHS camcorder and which I recently converted to digital for the family.  In the future I can imagine using it to capture things like sporting events.  After doing some quick research before Thanksgiving, I had settled on targeting the Vixia HF G50, and was hoping to find a Black Friday or Cyber Monday sale from its very consistent $1,100 price point.  Alas, it never went on sale, so I haven't rushed to purchase it full price yet since we still have a few weeks before Christmas.  For those that know more about this than I do, I'm wondering what the opinion is of this camera.  How is its low-light performance compared to the ones that were originally discussed in this thread?  Do I need to pay more for 4k with adequate low-light capability?  By low light, I'm referring to standard home interior lighting, not trying to record concerts with it.  I know there's debate about the necessity of 4k vs. 1080.  I decided to target 4k because of the potential to zoom/crop sections of the video and maintain HD (assuming I find time to do that stuff), and also out of an assumption that I would be somewhat futureproofing as 4k becomes more standard.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Online guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2022, 12:24:32 PM »
I know there's debate about the necessity of 4k vs. 1080.  I decided to target 4k ... out of an assumption that I would be somewhat futureproofing as 4k becomes more standard.

As of 2022, 4K resolution is the standard for new TVs.  And 6K and 8K video cameras are readily available.  But resolutions are just going to continue to improve; so you just gotta jump on and roll with it.  Because having the "best" only ever lasts for a few months before another "best" is available.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com