Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO  (Read 112898 times)

Offline JD

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part TWO
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2008, 10:25:30 PM »
About the switches, you could just put some electrical tape over the ones you don't want to use?

I suppose I could. I'm thinking that the tape over time might remove the silk-screened lettering around the switches.
Mics: DPA 4022, 4060; Nevaton MC51, MCE400; Gefell sms2000, m20, m21, m27
Pres: DPA MMA6000; Grace V2; Portico 5012; Sonosax SX-M2
Recorders: Edirol R09hr, Sound Devices 722

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008, 01:08:03 AM »
Digifish thanks for all the great info and the pics!!!
If you find sometime could you be also so kind to post a silent recording using line in?
I'm still waiting to see if the HR has less selfnoise than the PMD620 and H2
Thanks

OK here's some spectrograms...frequency-histograms to follow. The HR is demonstrably quieter as you would expect.

Method: possibly flawed... :)

R09 & HR (mic power off, mic gain high setting, displays on 50%, low-cut off, acg/limiters off) connected to the unbalanced (tape) output of a MixPre (on, all levels set to zero) recordings made as follows...

The spectrograms span 20 Hz bottom to 20,000 Hz top.

Microphone inputs

100%

50%

Line inputs

100%

50%

digifish
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 01:18:35 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008, 03:57:26 AM »
Interesting.
The pics give a nice impression of the differences.
For absolute figures we might have to wait for the sonic studios review?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2008, 09:03:52 AM »
This is odd tho, I noticed some faint banding in the R09HR 100% mic spectrogram...

Looking at the histogram the spikes are visible, but on closer inspection they fall on the exact frequency intervals (1000 Hz increments).

So that's really wierd  :o ...any suggestions? I can't imagine any real digital noise that would fall so neatly on the frequency divisions? An engineering mode in the firmware left on? I am using 1.04 ... what am I overlooking here?

Evidence that the methods are not flawed, here's the R44 under the same conditions (max mic -56 dB), connected to the same MixPre.

Jump to a response from Edirol on this issue here...

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,105893.msg1431168.html#msg1431168

digifish

« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 05:43:07 AM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline polewka

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2008, 09:29:47 AM »
taped over my swtiches on the rear with black electricians tape (and also held shut the potentially 'infamous' battery door).

Removed a few times, great tape, no problems with removing the lettering at all.

Bought black tape as well, hardly noticed the tape at all.

Dropped to LCG to 100hz for Brian JonesTown Massacre on Tuesday.

Fingers crossed, as I've been getting a little too much bass on my recs (beginning to think the BB I bought 2nd hand may be flawed).

We'll see.

Mics: AT853's (Cards), CA-14's (Cards)
Battery Boxes: SP-SPSB-6, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Sony PCM-M10
Camera: Panasonic Lumix TZ-7

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2008, 10:06:15 AM »
taped over my swtiches on the rear with black electricians tape (and also held shut the potentially 'infamous' battery door).

Removed a few times, great tape, no problems with removing the lettering at all.

Bought black tape as well, hardly noticed the tape at all.

Dropped to LCG to 100hz for Brian JonesTown Massacre on Tuesday.

Fingers crossed, as I've been getting a little too much bass on my recs (beginning to think the BB I bought 2nd hand may be flawed).

We'll see.

At least on the R-09, LCG is something to avoid like the plague, for live music.
OK, now it has 100, 200 or 400hz cut. All of them tooooo much as far as I know.
Just my 2 cents.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline udovdh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2008, 11:32:57 AM »
So that's really wierd  :o ...any suggestions? I can't imagine any real digital noise that would fall so neatly on the frequency divisions? An engineering mode in the firmware left on? I am using 1.04 ... what am I overlooking here?
That looks really bad and also odd. I'd be interested in a good explanation...

I asked someone at Roland Benelux about them via email.

BTW: the pics at http://sonicstudios.com/r-09revw.htm for the R09 (not HR) also show some peaks at the treble area?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 11:53:11 AM by udovdh »

Offline efksound

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2008, 03:46:05 PM »
This is odd tho, I noticed some faint banding in the R09HR 100% mic spectrogram...

Looking at the histogram the spikes are visible, but on closer inspection they fall on the exact frequency intervals (1000 Hz increments).

digifish

Weird..... Does this spikes also happen on the line in recordings???
looking at the spectrogram pictures the line in looks cleaner and don't have these lines
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 05:21:10 PM by efksound »

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »
I've used the R-09HR a few times now.  Once @ 16/44, once @ 24/48, and once @ 24/96.  No issues whatsoever.

A couple of my not-so-important observations. 

I really prefer the new larger screen.  It is definitely "old-eyes" friendly.  Also, I don't know whether I just got really lucky my last few outings, but I think the recordings actually sound better.  The lock button on the back is not a problem . . . just tape over the other buttons and you'll not have a problem.  It's not like you'll need to change their settings.  The tape will also prevent accidental changes.  I find the location of the HR's lock switch to be an easier access than the one on the R-09. 

I do not like what they did with the batteries.  That new door worries me.  People are sure to drop it, lose it, step on it, etc.  Personally, I had no problem with the battery design on the R-09.   Changing batterries on the fly with the R-09 was much easier.  Just open that door, let the old ones drop out and drop in the new.  The HR battery design is not that simple.

As for the remote control . . . IMO, it is useless.  In an open taping setting, I see no reason to use one.  If you are stealthing, if you don't utilize the lock switch, you are begging for disaster.  A with the lock "on," the remote is essentially rendered inoperable.

I'm also wondering . . .  do I really want to record at 24/96 now just because I can?  Perhaps this question is better addressed in a different thread.  Storing large 24/48 files is challenge enough. 
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2008, 06:41:16 PM »
That looks really bad and also odd. I'd be interested in a good explanation...

It may look bad but in reality it's not (remember the gain is cranked to 100%, the level is very low), but it is really weird. Can someone else with a HR make a 100% gain mic-in recording connected to a mic preamp/tape-deck etc turned down/off?

Please note I was using Ver 1.04 HR firmware.

digifish
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 06:52:36 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2008, 06:42:55 PM »
looking at the spectrogram pictures the line in looks cleaner and don't have these lines

No, it's just the mic-in. As I mentioned previously, the it's very low level and I am still scratching my head. I will ask Roland about it. It could also be an artifact of something I did, or was near or a setting in the analysis  program (but seems unlikely).

digifish
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 06:49:24 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Sunday Driver

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2008, 08:41:13 PM »
The only thing I don't like about the new Edirol R-09HR are all the flashing red lights. There are two of them- one on the top (LED for the remote) and one around the record button. I have found a way to make them flash for only a short period of time using a power save mode and setting display options, but apparently there is no way to turn them completely off. They come on as soon as you press the record button and even if you decide to adjust your levels. Minor issue, but those lights could prove annoying for other people at the show around you. Other than that, I love this thing.

Also, the display is always lit somewhat. The good thing is that this doesn't seem to use much battery power. But again, no option to turn brightness "off".
You either record it or it's gone forever.
My Tapes

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2008, 09:25:46 AM »

No, it's just the mic-in. As I mentioned previously, the it's very low level and I am still scratching my head. I will ask Roland about it. It could also be an artifact of something I did, or was near or a setting in the analysis  program (but seems unlikely).

digifish

Just to let you know that I really appreciate your tests. Great job. I'm in love with my R09RH. Thanks  ;)
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • LMA
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2008, 10:32:28 AM »
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,106283.0.html

my 1st outing with the r09hr.  very pleased.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline surf1div1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2008, 02:43:54 PM »
Hi Josephine- I had to responsd specifically re: the remote- I've never done 'open' on my recording and all my recordings are 'stealth'- that said, I like the remote- since it's good for volume and splitting the file, I've used it during the one open I did (Marc Ford recently) and see it as advantage for one less thing I have to do in "CD WAVE" not that it's a big deal. Additionally, I can see for stealth where it is an advantage. Since one of the venues doesn't allow any electronic devices (including cell phones) during a performance, they have literally pulled people's phone etc right out of their hands. Since I went to this venue and used celophane (blue on the red lights) It filtered the lighting coming from the device, and using the remote adjusted my levels without having to even touch the R-09HR. That is an advantage since no knows what I'm doing. It's line of sight, it's been less hassle and more stealth for me. I use the cutout for a keyring as a reference to know which buttons I access (gain and split). BTW, I don't use the lock switch and so far no disasters, yet ;-)))

I've used the R-09HR a few times now. <snipped>A couple of my not-so-important observations.
As for the remote control . . . IMO, it is useless.  In an open taping setting, I see no reason to use one.  If you are stealthing, if you don't utilize the lock switch, you are begging for disaster.  A with the lock "on," the remote is essentially rendered inoperable.
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com