Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol r-44 or fostex fr2-le  (Read 11423 times)

Offline Manuell

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
edirol r-44 or fostex fr2-le
« on: July 12, 2008, 05:27:24 PM »
Hello,
I want to buy a fieldrecorder mostly for recording concerts and atmosphere. I use the beyerdynamic mce 86 and the mce 72.
Which one would you prefer? the edirol r-44 or the fostex fr2-le?

Manuel

Offline eric.B

• to the side qualified
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: edirol r-44 or fostex fr2-le
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2008, 06:38:27 PM »
you will find *very* few people who have experiences with both of those units, so for the most part you will find those chiming in with experiences with either just the r44 or the fr2le..   since that is the case, I would spend my time reading the opinions of these units singularly on this board AND listening to recordings done with both and decide for yourself.    If you have a need for 4 channels, the r44 is obviously your choice..   If you see yourself only recording two channels, then I would consider the fr2le seriously due to its wonderful powering option AND the fact that it sounds very good as a stock *all in one* unit. 

I hope this helps..
We have a system that increasingly taxes work and subsidizes nonwork.  ~Milton Friedman

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2008, 06:43:07 PM »
you will find *very* few people who have experiences with both of those units, so for the most part you will find those chiming in with experiences with either just the r44 or the fr2le..   since that is the case, I would spend my time reading the opinions of these units singularly on this board AND listening to recordings done with both and decide for yourself.    If you have a need for 4 channels, the r44 is obviously your choice..   If you see yourself only recording two channels, then I would consider the fr2le seriously due to its wonderful powering option AND the fact that it sounds very good as a stock *all in one* unit. 

I hope this helps..
I agree w/ all said depending on how many channels ya need and I will add size to the decision. R44 will take up more space and needs a good size bag.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline Manuell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 07:00:03 PM »
Thank you.
I think the edirol r-44 is the more professional way to go and I think sometimes it could be better to have 4 channels. For a concert I can get a two channel signal from a mixer and two more channels for mics for the audience. I think I will test both and then I make my decission or is there any other gear under 1000,- with xlr and portable? But I don't think that I would feel comfortable with a zoom H4.

Manuel 

Offline Rick

• Trade Count: (1)
    • My Recordings
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 10:36:40 PM »

I hope this helps..
I agree w/ all said depending on how many channels ya need and I will add size to the decision. R44 will take up more space and needs a good size bag.
Peace

I'm not all that sure a fr2le is all that much smaller. The R44 is pretty darn small.
Retired Taper

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2008, 11:13:41 PM »
There were some side by side pix on the main R-44 thread recently.

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2008, 12:00:32 AM »

Offline rowjimmytour

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My LMA bookmarks
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2008, 12:22:22 AM »

I hope this helps..
Peace

I'm not all that sure a fr2le is all that much smaller. The R44 is pretty darn small.
Is the r44 smaller then the r4? If so I did not know that and assumed the cf card to HD was the only big difference.
Peace
http://www.archive.org/bookmarNo
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe and saw

Offline BayTaynt3d

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Live from San Francisco
    • BayTaper.com
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 12:37:40 AM »
As someone who's owned both

I hope this helps..
Peace

Is the r44 smaller then the r4? If so I did not know that and assumed the cf card to HD was the only big difference.
Peace

As someone who's owned both, it's WAY SMALLER.
BayTaper.com | One Man’s Multimedia Journey Through the San Francisco Jazz & Creative Music Scene

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 04:36:28 AM »
I like my r44 a lot.

But then again it is my first 24bit recorder.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 07:24:46 AM »
is there any other gear under 1000,- with xlr and portable? But I don't think that I would feel comfortable with a zoom H4.

Manuel 

The Tascam HD-P2 is under a grand (I think around $800), has XLR inputs (with phantom power, if needed), and definitely portable.  a little larger than the Fostex FR2-LE, but probably smaller than the Edirol R-44.  If you're not committed to 4 channels, definitely look at the HD-P2 in addition to the R-44

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2008, 12:26:04 PM »
for a size comparison of the R4, R9 and R44, see the first pic in this thread

http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,106174.0.html

Without having seen one, I was under the impression the HD-P2 was roughly the size of an R4 or Fostex FR2 which would make it much bigger than the R44 or FR2LE

stirinthesauce

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2008, 05:32:37 PM »
as a former owner of a Tascam hd-p2 and a current owner of an edirol r-44, the r-44 is definitly smaller.

The r-44 is not the r-4.  It is a completely different beast.  The lack of the hd is just a minor difference.  The r-44 is a much better design, with bit perfect digi input allowing recording of 2 channels digital and 2 analog at the same time or 4 phantom powered analog at the same time.  Oh, did I mention it sounds great?

/fluffing out

Offline Manuell

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2008, 06:04:08 PM »
So you like the R-44 more than the Tascam?  ;D

Manuel

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2008, 08:41:03 AM »
Without having seen one, I was under the impression the HD-P2 was roughly the size of an R4 or Fostex FR2 which would make it much bigger than the R44 or FR2LE

as a former owner of a Tascam hd-p2 and a current owner of an edirol r-44, the r-44 is definitly smaller.

For reference, here are the dimensions of all the recorders beign discussed:
(width x depth x thickness)

Edirol R4
9.5" x 8.6" x 3.1"

Edirol R44
6.2" x 7.2" x 2.4"

Tascam HD-P2
9.6" x 7.4" x 2.4"

Fostex FR2
9.8" x 8.7" x 3.0"

Fostex FR-2LE
8.1" x 5.2" x 2.2"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com