Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part THREE  (Read 86973 times)

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part THREE
« Reply #255 on: February 02, 2009, 06:46:57 AM »

What did your deck's VU indications look like while recording?
I meant that I tapped on the end of them and spoke into them and the levels bounced right out nicely.  So I felt quite confident that audio was getting to them.

I meant did you notice the VU indications AT THE VENUE that produced NO AUDIO files. 

Sounds to me like you did not, and not noticed you maybe had plugged your home tested mic into the headphones jack (a user mistake) without looking at the (lack of VU) venue recording levels!?!
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #256 on: February 02, 2009, 09:20:21 AM »

I meant that I tapped on the end of them and spoke into them and the levels bounced right out nicely.  So I felt quite confident that audio was getting to them.

I meant did you notice the VU indications AT THE VENUE that produced NO AUDIO files. 

Sounds to me like you did not, and not noticed you maybe had plugged your home tested mic into the headphones jack (a user mistake) without looking at the (lack of VU) venue recording levels!?!

C'mon bro - the headphone jack in on top of the Edirol - the line-in and mic jacks are on the side.  I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box - but I at least got that one right :-)

All joking aside - yes I did the same check at the venue.  Tapped the mics, etc.  Everything looked fine.  I did it in an out of the way spot in the hallway while waiting for my wife who was in the bathroom.  I started it up (recording) and left it running as I stowed it in my coat pocket.

Of course, it's possible it came loose from the jack.  But I remember disconnecting it after the show and it seemed like it was firmly inserted when I unplugged it.

Edited to include an important word!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 11:22:31 AM by guitard »
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #257 on: February 02, 2009, 09:49:56 AM »
Of course, it's possible it came loose from the jack.  But I remember disconnecting it after the show and it seemed like it was firmly inserted when I unplugged it.

I've had that happen using 1/8" stereo patch cables.  I now run the cable through the recorder cover at the recorder side and gaff tape the connector to the preamp at the preamp side.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #258 on: February 04, 2009, 12:42:14 AM »

C'mon bro - the headphone jack in on top of the Edirol - the line-in and mic jacks are on the side.  I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box - but I at least got that one right :-)

All joking aside - yes I did the same check at the venue.  Tapped the mics, etc.  Everything looked fine.  I did it in an out of the way spot in the hallway while waiting for my wife who was in the bathroom.  I started it up (recording) and left it running as I stowed it in my coat pocket.

OK, maybe the recorded files (the short and long ones) still play in the deck, but something is keeping transferred files from playback in your editor?

Try playing the long files in the deck (if still on the flash card) and if they play, maybe something about your file transfer and/or audio file editor is having troubles?  Sometimes files have missing information in the header still allowing the deck to play, but transferred files do not.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline mrmojorisen

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #259 on: February 15, 2009, 12:43:31 PM »
Here is a sample from a recording i done using the R-09hr own mic set up (Waiting on my new church audios so had to run with the internal mics) at a gig last night in Liverppol.

The band is The Twang and this is one of there new tracks yet to be released.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/55669056d676c0fa/

That sample has be ripped from the wav into a 320kbps mp3.

To my ears it dont sound too bad,The venue holds around 500 and it was very loud bass wise.

Offline tbrown4

• Trade Count: (45)
    • Tim's Adventures in Sound
« Reply #260 on: February 16, 2009, 01:28:23 PM »
Just got one today! Woohoo....my wife is awesome.
AKG C460Bs/A61s/CK61s or CK63s -> Naiant LittleBox -> Edirol R09-HR

http://timothydavidbrown.blogspot.com/

FS: Dead Muppets. Custom "dead rat" style windscreen covers
$25/pair, shipped. Various color/pattern choices
Currently not building orders, the "shop" is temporarily closed. Accepting names on a waiting list.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137563.msg1786318

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #261 on: February 17, 2009, 10:30:48 PM »
I just gave mine a thorough run through live without outboard mikes.  If you guys have access to The Dime, do a search for Steve Tyrell, and down load that show.  I won't give the taping an "A" but inboard mikes make it a solid "B" showing. 

Meanwhile due to equipment problems, my DPAs are gathering dust.  Hopefully by this week, I'll have that problem taken care of. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline ijwthstd

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #262 on: February 20, 2009, 03:15:02 PM »
Got mine on Wedensday and been to 2 shows already! No problems so far and it's somewhat re-energized my attitude a bit. I can see myself taking this to a few unfriendly venues I would otherwise not bother with the DAT.
"Never have I seen such a derisive comment by an uploader here about the music he is uploading." - TexasSkeptic

"is this a bad recording, or was that just a joke?" - monogwai

2012 Live Music Recap:

http://www.freewebs.com/ijwthstd/apps/blog/show/12314294-2012

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #263 on: March 06, 2009, 06:52:56 PM »
After a couple of months, last night I decided to give the 1.05 firmware another try. When I instaled this version for the first time, everything went really wrong, with display freezing etc. Same thing happened to other folks.
This time I'm using a new SDHC, Kingston 16GB Class 4. At the beggining, I got the Slow Card message few times, that's why I decided to try the the new firmware.
So far, everything is fine, but there is something I found very strange. Every time I turn the unit on, no matter what sample rate I've selected using the Menu, the display shows "44.1". When I hit the Rec buttom, the selected sample rate ( 48, 88 or 96) appears. I wonder if this is how it used to work before the firmware upgrade.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. :coolguy:
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 06:57:05 PM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2009, 07:07:28 PM »

So far, everything is fine, but there is something I found very strange. Every time I turn the unit on, no matter what sample rate I've selected using the Menu, the display shows "44.1". When I hit the Rec buttom, the selected sample rate ( 48, 88 or 96) appears. I wonder if this is how it used to work before the firmware upgrade.

I use 1.05 but also 44.1 only so not sure, but I'll check it tonight after I get back from watching Watchmen. ;)

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #265 on: March 06, 2009, 07:27:13 PM »

I use 1.05 but also 44.1 only so not sure, but I'll check it tonight after I get back from watching Watchmen. ;)

Hey, thanks a lot.  :coolguy:
Let me know.

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #266 on: March 07, 2009, 09:46:00 AM »
Help,please?  ;)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #267 on: March 07, 2009, 11:28:21 AM »
Help,please?  ;)

Dede2002
I tested my R-09HR with different sampling rates, and I thought I had the same issue that you did.  That is, when I changed from 44.1 to 96, it would only show 96 when I pressed 'record' but showed 44.1 before I pressed 'record.'  What I realized is that my R-09HR was showing 44.1 because that is the sample rate of the file that is ready for playback (the file that will play if you hit 'play').  When I recorded a file at 96 then when I stop recording, it shows 96 now instead of 44.1 because now there is a file recorded at 96 and it is the one that will play if you hit 'play.'  I can't explain it easily but that is the issue that I was having, which really isn't an issue.  Are you sure this isn't the same issue that you're having?   Basically, it seems the R-09HR displays the current file's sample rate while it is turned on but not on 'record/standby' and not the sample rate you have selected to record at, at least, not until you go into 'record/standby' or unless the current file was recorded at the new sampling rate that you changed to. 

Offline tbrown4

• Trade Count: (45)
    • Tim's Adventures in Sound
« Reply #268 on: March 07, 2009, 12:23:09 PM »
I noticed this as well, threw me for a loop at first.
AKG C460Bs/A61s/CK61s or CK63s -> Naiant LittleBox -> Edirol R09-HR

http://timothydavidbrown.blogspot.com/

FS: Dead Muppets. Custom "dead rat" style windscreen covers
$25/pair, shipped. Various color/pattern choices
Currently not building orders, the "shop" is temporarily closed. Accepting names on a waiting list.
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=137563.msg1786318

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #269 on: March 07, 2009, 02:30:04 PM »
Help,please?  ;)

Dede2002
I tested my R-09HR with different sampling rates, and I thought I had the same issue that you did.  That is, when I changed from 44.1 to 96, it would only show 96 when I pressed 'record' but showed 44.1 before I pressed 'record.'  What I realized is that my R-09HR was showing 44.1 because that is the sample rate of the file that is ready for playback (the file that will play if you hit 'play').  When I recorded a file at 96 then when I stop recording, it shows 96 now instead of 44.1 because now there is a file recorded at 96 and it is the one that will play if you hit 'play.'  I can't explain it easily but that is the issue that I was having, which really isn't an issue.  Are you sure this isn't the same issue that you're having?   Basically, it seems the R-09HR displays the current file's sample rate while it is turned on but not on 'record/standby' and not the sample rate you have selected to record at, at least, not until you go into 'record/standby' or unless the current file was recorded at the new sampling rate that you changed to. 

Su6oxone,

You're 100% correct. After a few tests I detected the same thing.
Thanks very much for helping me out, man  ;).
A personal +T to you.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com