Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part THREE  (Read 87001 times)

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part THREE
« Reply #180 on: November 29, 2008, 01:22:15 AM »

just kinda lazy and didn't want to read almost 70 pages of posts.

Thats the best way to learn, and the rest of us have all done it

A lot of the posts don't really offer much in the way of learning about the 09HR, but some of them are really informative.  Just skim through them and read the parts that you really need to know.  It'll be time well spent - I've been able to pull half-way decent recordings from the first time out, and I credit that to having read through this thread.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #181 on: November 29, 2008, 05:54:20 AM »
So today I got a new recorder... The Edirol R-09HR and the HEB DPA 4060s! [I sold my kart and bought a used car and had some money to spare   ;)]

Just kinda fiddling with it today and have a show on the 3rd. Just from your personal experience (for the people who have them) what do you put on the settings on the back? For sure mic gain is low and plug-in power is off but what is the limiter and low cut buttons do? and to I want those off or on?

I am guessing I want to run my 4060s Line in. I am really interested to run 24/96 and see what type of results I get. Thanks for answering my questions.

oh yeah.. this thing is small!!! I put it next to my M1 and D8 and i could not believe how small it is! stealthing will be a lot easier!

In response to your questions. Mic gain switch does not affect line in. Use line in only if performance is loud. Do not use limiter. Set gain to average -12db. In 24 bit gain need not be set high. Only use low cut
filter if performance has an extraordinary amount of bass or there is a lot of air conditioning noise in the room. Always run in 24 bit. High sample rate is less important unless recording something pristine like classical guitar or string quartet. Good luck. You have a very nice portable rig.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #182 on: November 29, 2008, 11:59:45 AM »
I just thought I would let everyone know I am going to do a few tests on the HR vs the old R09 for noise and distortion.. I figured it might come in handy for everyone to know what the real differences are. I will post them here, I love my HR I will NEVER EVER sell it. I usually just buy recorders and use them for a little while for testing. Then sell them.. I have had several but I am keeping this one.

Chris
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #183 on: November 29, 2008, 03:15:53 PM »
I just thought I would let everyone know I am going to do a few tests on the HR vs the old R09 for noise and distortion.. I figured it might come in handy for everyone to know what the real differences are. I will post them here, I love my HR I will NEVER EVER sell it. I usually just buy recorders and use them for a little while for testing. Then sell them.. I have had several but I am keeping this one.

Chris

Excellent! Also, please try to dispel the myth as to what level is actually "unity gain" for line-in. Thanks in advance for the testing!

Depechemode1993

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #184 on: November 29, 2008, 10:04:24 PM »

just kinda lazy and didn't want to read almost 70 pages of posts.

Thats the best way to learn, and the rest of us have all done it

A lot of the posts don't really offer much in the way of learning about the 09HR, but some of them are really informative.  Just skim through them and read the parts that you really need to know.  It'll be time well spent - I've been able to pull half-way decent recordings from the first time out, and I credit that to having read through this thread.

yeah a lot of the posts were "when is this thing coming to the states" lol! But there were some informative posts...

Offline stiavo89

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #185 on: November 30, 2008, 01:11:23 AM »
Many thanks to all who have shared their experience and knowledge with this forum.  I have been looking for a standalone recorder to catch jam sessions and practices.  I have read this thread from beginning to end tonight, and feel confident that I will be able to use the R09hr for everything I need.  I look forward to getting this recorder in the next days, and learning to make it fit my life!

Offline ironbut

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #186 on: November 30, 2008, 01:52:42 PM »

Chris

That's quite an endorsement Chris. Could you go into a little detail on what it is that you like about the HR compared to the others you've had?

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #187 on: December 01, 2008, 03:20:33 PM »
Many thanks to all who have shared their experience and knowledge with this forum.  I have been looking for a standalone recorder to catch jam sessions and practices.  I have read this thread from beginning to end tonight, and feel confident that I will be able to use the R09hr for everything I need.  I look forward to getting this recorder in the next days, and learning to make it fit my life!

Great move.
You're 100% right. I've been following all the threads about the R-09HR and it's competition. If you consider the pros and cons and the "Ifs" and "Buts"
regarding the competition ( sound/size/storage/user friendily aspect etc, etc, etc), you'll conclude that the R-09HR is the best choice.
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Depechemode1993

« Reply #188 on: December 01, 2008, 10:57:27 PM »
I know some people were putting electric tape over the buttons on the back so they could find the hold button while the R09 is in your pocket. I went to home depot today and got some velcro and put the softer part of the velcro onto the R09 (pictured). I like it.

Offline 69mako

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #189 on: December 02, 2008, 01:03:05 AM »
Just got my R-9HR today.  First off, I can believe how small this thing it.  I've been using a JB3 for the last few years.  I can't wait to take this little baby out.  How long does a set of AA last recording 24/48 no plug in power.  Off to buy a momory card.
?

Thanks,
Mako
http://db.etree.org/69mako

007: Church Audio CA-14c -> Church Audio St-9100 preamp -> R-09HR

Open: Busman BSC1 mics (X2) -> Hydra Cables (X2) -> Tmod R4

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #190 on: December 02, 2008, 06:46:57 AM »
I know some people were putting electric tape over the buttons on the back so they could find the hold button while the R09 is in your pocket. I went to home depot today and got some velcro and put the softer part of the velcro onto the R09 (pictured). I like it.

I use gaffer's tape to cover the buttons on the back - electrical tape will leave a sticky residue.  Everyone needs gaffer's tape at some point in time.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2008, 07:46:21 AM »
Great move.
You're 100% right. I've been following all the threads about the R-09HR and it's competition. If you consider the pros and cons and the "Ifs" and "Buts"
regarding the competition ( sound/size/storage/user friendily aspect etc, etc, etc), you'll conclude that the R-09HR is the best choice.

This is a silly statement.  Don't get me wrong:  in my opinion, the R09HR is a nice recorder.  But "best" is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak.  Depends a lot on what sort of equipment someone wants to run with it and other individual considerations.  For some people, digital inputs are a necessity.  Others can't abide 3.5mm jacks.  Or if you spend a lot of time in the mosh pit or other abusive settings, you might consider the solid build of the Sony...

I use gaffer's tape to cover the buttons on the back - electrical tape will leave a sticky residue.  Everyone needs gaffer's tape at some point in time.

One of the best inventions ever...

Depechemode1993

« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2008, 09:09:12 AM »
Just got my R-9HR today.  First off, I can believe how small this thing it.  I've been using a JB3 for the last few years.  I can't wait to take this little baby out.  How long does a set of AA last recording 24/48 no plug in power.  Off to buy a momory card.
?

Thanks,
Mako

I think I remember reading in the threads that you could do almost 8 hours continuously. Someone did a test of it.

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #193 on: December 02, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »
Great move.

This is a silly statement.  Don't get me wrong:  in my opinion, the R09HR is a nice recorder.  But "best" is in the eye of the beholder, so to speak.  Depends a lot on what sort of equipment someone wants to run with it and other individual considerations.  For some people, digital inputs are a necessity.  Others can't abide 3.5mm jacks.  Or if you spend a lot of time in the mosh pit or other abusive settings, you might consider the solid build of the Sony...

::)  ::) Well, that's your opinion and I would never say that it's a silly statement. It's just your opinion and I respect that.
BTW, you have just said exactly what I said: best is in the eye of the beholder. In my opinion, the R-09HR is the best recorder considering all the points involved (digital inputs, 3.5mm jacks etc).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 07:15:48 AM by Dede2002 »
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #194 on: December 02, 2008, 12:47:07 PM »
I agree with everything written here. 24 bit, -12 level, no low cut, etc. Shows I have recorded either via the line in, external mics or the internal mics have been impressive. I really don't mind the mini-jack input although I am aware its analog. Batteries (Duracells regulars or Ultras) went over 5 hours with no problem. I can't tell you how long they last because I throw them in a re-cycle bin at work after I am done with them. All I can say is after 5 hours, I still have 2 bars left. But I don't think that means they are half good. I rarely attend a show that exceeds 5 hours anyway. In general, I am happy with this deck. And not having to buy DAT tapes anymore is a BIG plus.

I did have trouble finding that HOLD button in the back once.  I'm going to put gaffer's tape on it now because it is really hard to find it in the dark. Good idea!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.134 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com