Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09HR - Part THREE  (Read 86989 times)

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
Re: Edirol R-09HR - Part THREE
« Reply #210 on: January 01, 2009, 06:22:33 PM »
Tried the v1.05 firmware update last night.  Everything seemed okay until I tried a 30+ minute record test at 24/96.  When I hit the stop button it locked up like fort knox.  Had to yank a battery to get it turned off.  Immediately went back to v1.04 until Edirol get's the bugs worked out.  No way I want to risk losing anything in the field.  C'mon Roland get things together!  Has anyone reported this to them and gotten any response?

I have. No response so far. :P

Sometimes problems like this have more to do with the make/model/production series of the flash card being used than the deck/firmware version (as far as the manufacturer is concerned). 

As some of us have learned the hard way, even card models reported to work without issues can get (often controller IC) changes in later production runs affecting a deck's ability to function reliably, or at certain (usually higher) recording sampling rates.

Make sure batteries were not low, note firmware version, also telling recording mode and which flash card/serial number or when purchased was used when reporting this kind of problem.

What's interesting is that this firmware version 1.05 is supposed to resolve memory card compatibility issues and another minor noise issue.   Just a note, I've used numerous brands and sizes of SDHC cards in my 09HR and never had any issues with recording on them.  Until I moved up to v1.05 that is.  Sticking with v1.04 until they get it right...
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #211 on: January 01, 2009, 07:44:16 PM »
been running 1.05 since it came out with no issues

Offline Falconidave

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #212 on: January 01, 2009, 08:20:59 PM »

It appears that you are one of the lucky few so far...
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

Offline digifish_music

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #213 on: January 01, 2009, 09:17:39 PM »

It appears that you are one of the lucky few so far...

I am a lucky few too. I am using Sandisk Ultra II 8 Gb cards.

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline gmm6797

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Schoeps MK4 > nBoxPlat > Sony A10/SDMixPre6/SD 722
    • Homepage
« Reply #214 on: January 01, 2009, 09:33:57 PM »
I have used A-Data 16gb class6 and Sandisk 8gb class4

Offline Falconidave

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #215 on: January 01, 2009, 09:51:04 PM »
I have used A-Data 16gb class6 and Sandisk 8gb class4

I had that exact card (A-Data 16gb class6) in my machine when it locked up.  Also have a Sandisk 8gb class 4 and several Toshiba 8gb class 4's. Just don't feel like I want to risk losing a show in the field.  All current cards I own work fine with v1.04.  But, I'm glad to some folks are benefitting from v1.05.  I'm sure Roland will address it or v1.06 will be more stable... 

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #216 on: January 02, 2009, 03:55:23 AM »
Might as well face the truth and stop the whining in realizing NOT all cards conforming to industry standards implement the standard protocol in exactly the same manner with some memory card models/production runs not working reliably in all applications.   

We know that deck manufacturers often list tested cards as OK for use in their machines for this reason.  The cards they recommend should work OK, and sometimes even these cards get production changes making them not work reliably as predicted.

If we find multiple instances of a certain flash model not proving reliable at some point with new firmware, best NOT to continue using this card, tell the deck manufacturer, and wait for firmware fix before testing again.

It is not possible for any manufacturer to continually test/retest all models/newer production runs of flash memory, so it's up to us to find cards not working communicating the problem so another firmware correction is possible.   

We can assume with each firmware update addressing specific models of flashcard compatibility involves the retesting all available flash models at hand to see if still working as before the upgrade, but important to realize not every card made, and not the latest production runs of all cards get firmware upgrade tested.

This means new firmware upgrades solving issues with more models of flash cards, may also make untested card models/recent production runs of previous user found OK models incompatible if these specific cards were not at hand for manufacturer's testing during each firmware upgrade.

Suggest testing all the cards you intend to use before committing for important purposes, and retesting with each firmware upgrade.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #217 on: January 03, 2009, 08:56:43 PM »
The other often overlooked fact is that unfortunately there are many MANY fake cards out there now that say Sony Or Sandisk that are not. I just got ripped off I purchased a 8 gig card for my psp and it was a fake... To my surprise the card worked in my computer but not in my psp.
In the end I should have known $14.00 rarely gets you a real 8 gig card.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #218 on: January 03, 2009, 09:56:47 PM »
The other often overlooked fact is that unfortunately there are many MANY fake cards out there now that say Sony Or Sandisk that are not. I just got ripped off I purchased a 8 gig card for my psp and it was a fake... To my surprise the card worked in my computer but not in my psp.

Any flash media or battery (videocam, computer, etc.) you see on eBay listed by a seller based in Hong Kong is probably a fake - and the easiest way to tell (in my opinion) is by the price.  If the price is only a third of what most reputable online sellers in the US are charging - don't waste your money.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline Falconidave

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #219 on: January 04, 2009, 02:10:57 AM »

Any flash media or battery (videocam, computer, etc.) you see on eBay listed by a seller based in Hong Kong is probably a fake - and the easiest way to tell (in my opinion) is by the price.  If the price is only a third of what most reputable online sellers in the US are charging - don't waste your money.

Good thing to remember when buying cards for our decks or cameras.  I learned the "Hong Kong" lesson long ago when buying spare batteries for my Sony MZ-M100, total crap!!  I won't even buy batteries or memory cards from Japan any longer.

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #220 on: January 04, 2009, 11:21:50 AM »
For those who have a BJ's near by, PNY 8gb for $20.
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Online Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #221 on: January 04, 2009, 11:52:17 AM »
I just got a mail from a shop in Norway that Edirol will increase the suggested price of Edirol R-09hr starting
January 1st 2009 from todays 3390NOK (~482USD, ~€344) to 3628NOK (~515USD, ~€368). I wonder
if they'll do that all over Europe or just Norway.

The opposite is true here. I payed 348 EUR for my R-09HR in October. Now the same seller lists it for 298 EUR. Needless to say I'm pissed!

Offline a-dub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #222 on: January 05, 2009, 09:58:07 AM »
The 16gb Kingston Class 4 card works great here. I picked it up for $30 at Fry's Electronics last week. Now it's 39.99 with free shipping. Although keep checking the ad because they do run sales often.

http://shop1.frys.com/product/5774072?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Shhh, silence is golden.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #223 on: January 05, 2009, 11:06:06 AM »
^^
I have 2 of these, good cards.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #224 on: January 05, 2009, 04:32:29 PM »
For those who have a BJ's near by, PNY 8gb for $20.

I dont yet have a bj but I am hoping to get one soon  :P
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com