Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new marantz PMD 661  (Read 103848 times)

Offline Matt Quinn

• No Ceilings
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • beep boop
Re: new marantz PMD 661
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 10:16:01 AM »
I'm not a huge fan of the way it's laid out (ie table-top style controls), but other than that this thing looks killer. Mod that sucker up & I could have a SOLID bit bucket for the V3 or a tiny 24 bit all-in-one for low-profile/travel etc. Damn.

In: AT853>PMD620
Out: PC>MOTU Ultralite AVB>M-Audio BX8a/Grace m900

DAW: Ableton Live 10

My LMA Recordings

Offline run_run_run

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 10:24:06 AM »
If this sounds decent stock, I will be all over this by summer. Been doing 24 bit inside with a laptop and UA-5 and love it.

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 10:27:12 AM »
Is there some type of "button hold" on this? Does one exist on a 660?

Looks like with the deck's layout, it would be easy for a wrong button to get pressed during a recording, if the thing was stuffed in a bag. If it can get modded to sound like an ACM671, this thing will be awesome!

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2008, 10:33:18 AM »
Is there some type of "button hold" on this? Does one exist on a 660?

Looks like with the deck's layout, it would be easy for a wrong button to get pressed during a recording, if the thing was stuffed in a bag. If it can get modded to sound like an ACM671, this thing will be awesome!

don't know about the PMD660.  but on the new PMD661, there's clearly a switch for "key lock".  look at the last picture.

Offline Krispy D

• Trade Count: (1)
    • my recordings on LMA
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2008, 11:03:17 AM »
yes the 660 has a lock feature.  when engaged only the levels are adjustable.
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.
~Rev. William J. H. Boetcker (not Lincoln)

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »
Smaller, takes SD cards........ and has coax.  This puppy will be an extremely hot seller.  Nice job Marantz!

Offline datbrad

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2008, 11:47:16 AM »
I like the fact that the meter ranges have several steps between -12 and 0, something that is lacking on a lot of 24 bit units that have only a couple of positions between those two points in the range.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2008, 11:55:08 AM »
H A W T!

Hopefully Busman will be up for modding this one too.
Or even better maybe it won't need a mod.

I love my busman 660 so this should be stellar.
I've been wanting to go balls deep into 24bit for a while.
This should do it for me.

Nice find and great thread.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2008, 12:08:56 PM »
Smaller, takes SD cards........ and has coax.  This puppy will be an extremely hot seller.  Nice job Marantz!

Assuming it is bit-perfect.  Apparently, Marantz has yet to provide a straight answer with respect to that issue.  I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't make the digital-in bit accurate, however...

As far as release date, Marantz claims late (December) 2008 or early (January) 2009.  Apparently, though, a Marantz rep is currently traveling around showing a pre-production prototype and soliciting input from some of their dealers.  This rep is scheduled to be making the rounds through mid-December.  This would seem to make that target date pretty unrealistic, but maybe first quarter 2009?

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2008, 12:27:18 PM »
at only $600 this thing is going to kill the resale value of the 660...  anybody want mine now before this comes out?
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot help the wage-earner by pulling down the wage-payer. You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves.

Offline johnmuge

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2008, 12:34:48 PM »
This looks like a nice upgrade to the 660.  Smaller, 24bit and a digital in.  Very nice !!!
> AKG c480b(ck61,ck63) Naiant Couplings-PFA / Beyer MC930 / Milab VM-44 link / Nevaton MCE400
 > Littlebox w/output xformers / Tinybox w/ dual output  
 > Tascam DR-680, DR70d / Sony M-10 / Oade ACM Marantz PMD660

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2008, 12:45:27 PM »

Assuming it is bit-perfect.  Apparently, Marantz has yet to provide a straight answer with respect to that issue.  I have a hard time believing that they wouldn't make the digital-in bit accurate, however...

regarding the ditial input and bit-perfectness.  While nothing has been confirmed, the other recent decks released in the PMD series with digital inputs (namely, the 670 and 671) were both bit-perfect digital inputs.  So at least Marantz has a good track record there.

The other unanswered question is automatic seamless 2 gig splits.  Again, at this point in time, Marantz has a lot of experience making these flash-card recorders, and I'd expect this deck to have seamless splits.

Offline Krispy D

• my recordings on LMA
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2008, 12:48:49 PM »
this has a 2nd line in as well,  looks like a mini plug.  Any idea of if this box could run an on the fly matrix?  like a ua5?
Peluso CEMC6, ck4/ck21
Oktava MC012
Sony ECM260f
AT 811

canare star quads
DIY mil spec silvers

DIY (W-ish) mod UA5>JB3
Oade ACM PMD 660
R4

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2008, 04:06:07 PM »
regarding the ditial input and bit-perfectness.  While nothing has been confirmed, the other recent decks released in the PMD series with digital inputs (namely, the 670 and 671) were both bit-perfect digital inputs.  So at least Marantz has a good track record there.

The other unanswered question is automatic seamless 2 gig splits.  Again, at this point in time, Marantz has a lot of experience making these flash-card recorders, and I'd expect this deck to have seamless splits.

Well, going by the track record again, their last offering, the 620, records up to the 4 GB .wav format limit in a single file.  Otherwise, you can set an auto split by time increment.  Since some aspects of the two recorders look pretty similar (buttons and screen, for example) seems reasonable to assume that they have brought forward some of the other features too...Guess we'll have to wait and see; I hope some more information will be available soon...

Offline spcyrfc

• Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2008, 04:51:54 PM »
i called this a while back in a thread somewhere that i now cannot find... oh well there goes my i told you so moment.
this thing looks like a winner. i had the 670 when the 671 came out and that sucked. i think the 660, due to its size will retain a decent selling price, but then again...

i want one of these.
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com