Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: new marantz PMD 661  (Read 104357 times)

Offline Ozpeter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: new marantz PMD 661
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2008, 07:49:18 PM »
I wonder whether they've thought to include an MS matrix in the menu options, R-44 style?  It certainly looks like a very well thought through device.

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2008, 08:35:42 PM »
ALMOST perfect...

if that 'line-in 2' on the side was "line/mic-in 2" with 'plugin power' I would get one...

digifish
- What's this knob do?

Offline dave570

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2008, 11:04:02 PM »
Also, no way to digitally patch in another deck. The Line Out appears to be RCA.

Still, its a winner for sure.  Wish I had it now!

Offline NOLAfishwater

• is not taping much these days
  • Trade Count: (72)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I LIKE FISHIN
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2008, 11:10:21 PM »
looks so much better than the 660 for several reasons.

-RCA out
-Digi In
-Key Lock Switch
-Gain/Trim knob looks to be much easier to operate than the 660
-Metal tabs at end to protect the Gain/Trim knob
-Level Meters on the top for easy viewing
-30% Smaller
-Black w/White Display screen
-24/96

Looks like a wiener.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:13:05 PM by NOLAfishwater »

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2008, 05:18:27 AM »
This seems to be a very good device, solving almost every need.
It has built-in mics, which should be-at least I think-  the same quality level than  PDM620's (or others pocket size devices). In this case they should be better than the built-ins in Fostex which(as I can read) are very poor.
So it should do as an all-in-one the same work as edirol 09HR or Tascam DR1, plus the possibilities offered by more professional tools like Tascam HDP2, Fostex and Marantz pdm 671 with XLR and 48v.
Do you think it will substitute PDM 671?

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2008, 10:16:56 AM »
As an ACM 671 user, I definitely have some potential interest in this deck. Let's wait until Doug can take one apart, and how much room there is to replace/upgrade components.

I just wish it could be laid out a bit better to be run from the "being stuffed in a bag" position. However, if the 24 bit recording quality can approach an ACM671 (mic preamp and a>d), then this thing could be a slam dunk. I would GUESS that it runs on 4 aa batteries. I wonder how long it can run on internal power w/ phantom powering....

Offline bgalizio

• Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/spyboychoir
« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2008, 12:29:24 PM »
This looks really nice. Potential for an excellent all-in-one, and you could even keep your old modded UA-5. Definitely has the chance to rival the FR2LE.

stevetoney

« Reply #37 on: November 08, 2008, 01:12:00 PM »
For those saying it's too big, you aren't gonna get too much smaller than this and still have the ins and outs available, which are important. 

I also think this looks like a real winner...mainly due to tiny size.

Two comments on the design...they really blew it putting the meter on the top.  The meter on the 660 is on the end, which is perfectomundo.  Same with the FR2LE.  How can you watch your levels without taking it out of your bag? 

Also, why put the meter on the top and the level controls on the side....that's stoopid...you have to have ready access to both the top and the side in order to both monitor and adjust your levels...which is possibly a bit cumbersome.  In some bags with a tight fit, it might mean that you need to take the unit out to both set and view levels at the same time.

At first glance, it also looks that these level adjust knobs are too open and easily bumped...even with the offsets.  Since this is a small deck, it's apt to be stashed in some tight places and that knob is gonna be a problem in that case...and even might be a problem when reaching into a bag during a show.  I'm thinking that it looks like the 660 level adjustment is a better design.  Since the 660 levels are flush, they're fairly immune to accidental movement.

Otherwise, looks like a winner to me.

BTW, I'm sure Busman will design a mod for this unit.  His mod on the 660 is one of the best deck mods I've personally heard.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 01:26:51 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline manamana

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2008, 02:07:51 PM »
so basically it's the size of a 6.5" long peice of 2x4. hmmmm.

does seem a bit bigger than I'd like it, as a good chunk of what I do is stealth. seems like it's just slightly too big to fit in a hoodie pocket. could work on a shoulder strap.

But it's appealing over the r-09HR or D50 because it has plain balanced XLR inputs. simpler wiring and better against interference.

I had been planning to wait and see the next revision of the MR-1 and the SD 702...This'll probably be in the mix depending on how long they take.
4022s > SX-M2 > Sony M10

Offline jacobmyers

• Taperssection Regular
  • The horror!
    • Prison City Archive
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2008, 08:22:37 PM »
It'd figure that just a few months after I bought my 660, Marantz would unveil its successor. It appears to address all of my "issues" with the 660 (while presenting a few new ones). The meter position on the 660 was my main gripe; putting it "angled" on top should allow "small edge" viewing of the meters from within a bag and it'll definitely make seeing the meters when the device is placed on a tabletop far easier. The USB 1.0 interface and comparatively expensive and fragile CF memory ran a close second and third on my list of 660 "complaints" (I use quotes because they're not so much complaints as things that could improve a "nearly perfect" machine) but those are "solved" in the 661.

The addition of an OLED display is a nice touch (but I've never used one in bright light). It'll probably reduce power consumption a little (while making a backlight unnecessary). I agree that the "nested and buried" level controls of the 660 (versus the exposed and "bumpable" knobs on the 661) are a better design. But maybe they're difficult enough to turn that "bumping" them out of whack will be improbable. I guess we'll see once these hit the street.

I should note that I am satisfied enough with my "Songcatcher" 660 that I won't be "upgrading" any time soon...

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2008, 10:33:08 PM »
I would not expect this to be issued as a successor of the 660, just a 24 bit model, if it's anything like the 670/671 relationship. In news gathering, court reporting, corporate A/V applications, house of worship, etc., the market for Marantz 16 bit machines are still very strong. There is every likelyhood that the 660 will continue in their line alongside the 661 just like the 670 currently does with the 671.

This unit is the closest thing to exactly what I have been waiting for to come out, and from a name I trust for quality and reliability. I can't wait to see one.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline Kyle

• Made it back alive!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Still loves his mic pre's
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2008, 10:33:18 PM »
Finally - I have been waiting for a solid, small bit-bucket for my AD2K+. I love my HD-P2 but I have been wanting something smaller (and not a MicroTrack). I will be all over this when it is released. WooHoo!!
Schoeps CMC6/MK4  //  Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1/CP-2
E.A.A. PSP-2   // Grace Design Lunatec V2
Sonic AD2K+ 
Tascam HD-P2 (Oade BCM)  //  Sony TC-D5 PROII

Duncan - 12/84 > 8/8/05 - Miss you everyday

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2008, 04:39:29 AM »
I was just about ordering an Edirol R09HR when I saw this new Marantz pdm661.
Given that I need a recorder which I can use for rehearsals and taping my concerts (solo classical piano, or piano and violin and larger ensembles) I would like a thing that can be upgraded with the following aims:

1)Rehearsals or concerts with no time or room to place a decent rig= all in one recorder and that's all
2)Better recordings (some time to spend on placing and possibility to carry more things with me)= recorder plus external mikes (o stereo mike).

With the new Marantz everything should work fine (I guess the on-board mics and mic preamp be about the same quality than Edirol).
With Edirol I should run a battery powered mic (Rode nt4 or Audiotechnica AT8022) or use an external phantom power unit like Art etc.
Of course nobody can compare the tho decks in terms of built in mikes and mic preamp quality as Marantz is not available yet;
but apart from this I would like to know if using an external  phantom with a pocket recorder is exactly the same as running mics into XLR imputs on another deck like this marantz.
thank you for helping me

Offline carpa

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2008, 04:39:43 AM »
I was just about ordering an Edirol R09HR when I saw this new Marantz pdm661.
Given that I need a recorder which I can use for rehearsals and taping my concerts (solo classical piano, or piano and violin and larger ensembles) I would like a thing that can be upgraded with the following aims:

1)Rehearsals or concerts with no time or room to place a decent rig= all in one recorder and that's all
2)Better recordings (some time to spend on placing and possibility to carry more things with me)= recorder plus external mikes (o stereo mike).

With the new Marantz everything should work fine (I guess the on-board mics and mic preamp be about the same quality than Edirol).
With Edirol I should run a battery powered mic (Rode nt4 or Audiotechnica AT8022) or use an external phantom power unit like Art etc.
Of course nobody can compare the tho decks in terms of built in mikes and mic preamp quality as Marantz is not available yet;
but apart from this I would like to know if using an external  phantom with a pocket recorder is exactly the same as running mics into XLR imputs on another deck like this marantz.
thank you for helping me

Offline hypnotoad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2008, 06:14:34 AM »
Whoa, now isn't this little guy interesting.  I can't wait to hear what Doug thinks about mods when he gets his hands on one of these.  ;D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com