Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661  (Read 135009 times)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 09:56:25 AM »
and Audball, bummer of the Kingston card problems.  You say that you'll be looking for a new card.  My current recommendation would be to stick with Marantz's recommendation of PNY or SanDisk.  Although it is unfortunate that the 661 seems to be more picky about the cards compared to some other decks...

Yeah, I knew I was taking a risk.  I'll shoot for one of the two you mentioned when I place an order later today.  I'd be more bummed if tonedeaf wasn't there taping also to get the whole thing. 

I do have a show Sunday night, though, and will need to use one of the Kingstons again unfortunately.  Would it be best to format one of the cards first?  Should I use something like THIS?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 10:01:46 AM »
I do have a show Sunday night, though, and will need to use one of the Kingstons again unfortunately.  Would it be best to format one of the cards first?  Should I use something like THIS?

I don't think that you'd need to use a program like that.  Personally, I think formatting the card in the deck before each show is the best way to go.

Offline Genghis Cougar Mellen Khan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Tin Can > Wax String > Dictaphone
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 10:19:01 AM »
and Audball, bummer of the Kingston card problems.  You say that you'll be looking for a new card.  My current recommendation would be to stick with Marantz's recommendation of PNY or SanDisk.  Although it is unfortunate that the 661 seems to be more picky about the cards compared to some other decks...

Yeah, I knew I was taking a risk.  I'll shoot for one of the two you mentioned when I place an order later today.  I'd be more bummed if tonedeaf wasn't there taping also to get the whole thing. 

I'd have to agree with Jason and format formatting the card in the recorder.

The only time I've personally had issues is when I formatted my card in another device and used it in another. (formatted in my Cannon camera and my Nikon had a problem with it) They both use the same file allocation, so theoretically they should be compatible.

I only had one problem with the files on a card, I wasn't at home and wanted to clear the card/but save the data. I was at my parents and used my dad's pc, since I didn't have my devices USB cable I used my dad's card reader. The audio file was corrupt (last 8 minutes were digital static) BUT it was fine before (had played it back on the 671). When I tried to play it back after the transfer the file on the card was now corrupt.

It's only one experience using a card reader, I can't say that the card reader was definitively the problem, but I've never had an issue outside of that one example. I've seen too many people that have mentioned errors/bad cards and card readers at the same time, so personally I don't feel safe using one, I'll just stick to using the device and USB.

I'd suggest transferring only via USB and formatting in the device you intend to use, stay away from card readers or formatting on another device or pc if you can.

Maybe a couple of small scratches, but thats because these mics are chick magnets.
Girls always up on Andy tryin to grab these mics, the scratches are from their wedding rings.

CMC641 / DPA4022 / DPA4062>mod MPS6030
V3 / PMD671 / field ready DV-RA1000 / Oade W-mod PMD661 / PCM-M10

Offline audBall

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2009, 10:25:23 AM »
I'd suggest transferring only via USB and formatting in the device you intend to use, stay away from card readers or formatting on another device or pc if you can.

Thanks for the feedback.  I will format my cards in the 661 when I get home.  My quick listen last night to the first file recorded (that abruptly stopped) presented the digi static you mentioned above in the last few minutes of the recording. 

I'm still new to this memory card recording world after being chained to my JB3 for so long. 

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2009, 10:43:41 AM »

I don't think that you'd need to use a program like that.  Personally, I think formatting the card in the deck before each show is the best way to go.

^^ 
Agreed.  I format my cards in the deck that it will be used in each and every time before a show.  Never a problem with a card up to this point.  Sorry about your troubles.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 10:45:37 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline audBall

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2009, 06:32:16 PM »
Ok....got some more SD card nonsense going on.  ::)

The first file I recorded last night plays back fine on the recorder.  However, once it's transferred it doesn't want to open in any player or editor program. 

I ran the homegrown WAV utility, which states there's issues and that it attempts to fix them, but I just get back static (white?) noise.  What's weird is the file size/length are showing up correctly.  Times like this make me wish there were a digi-out on this thing. 

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2009, 07:17:02 PM »
hmm,  let me look aroud, I might have an extra SanDisc 4GB SD card I don't have a use for that you could have.  (my old smart phone used SD cards, my new one uses micro...)
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »
Ok....got some more SD card nonsense going on.  ::)

The first file I recorded last night plays back fine on the recorder.  However, once it's transferred it doesn't want to open in any player or editor program. 

I ran the homegrown WAV utility, which states there's issues and that it attempts to fix them, but I just get back static (white?) noise.  What's weird is the file size/length are showing up correctly.  Times like this make me wish there were a digi-out on this thing. 

most likely, it's just that the bits are offset by one or two.  Most wave editing programs will allow you to import the data as raw PCM, and then it should ask you how much offset to use when importing the data.  it's a bit of a trial & error, but you'll definitely know it when you've got it right.

Offline audBall

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2009, 11:19:32 PM »
It appears to be opening up in Samplitude.  I think we might be ok.......jumping the gun as usual.

Offline TomR

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 08:10:47 AM »
For interest I've just tested my 661 powered with four 2000 mAh Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable NiMH AAs

Recording at 16/44.1, with two AT3032s (48V phantom, 3mA), LCD at maximum brightness "8", and LEDs "on" I got 3hours 54 minutes before the low battery warning came on.  Recording time would probably have been a little longer if I had reduced the LCD brightness and switched off the LEDs.

It seems that 5 hours recording time will be possible with higher capacity (2700 mAh) NiMH rechargeables.

Cheers

TomR

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2009, 11:35:19 AM »
Battery test update:
I used a battery checker on the 4 energizer lithium that I used.
of the 4:
1 was completely drained, 1 was at 1.2v , the other 2 were almost full(1.4v).
it seems it doesn't drain them evenly and that once it got below a certain Voltage it stopped (~ 4).
I wonder if the 2 it drained the most were going in the same direction, I will have to mark the next 4 batteries I use to see if that is the case.
if this is the case, I could swap out 2 used batteries, and pop in 2 fresh batteries.
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline audBall

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2009, 04:13:53 PM »
Fareed from the other night:
http://www.archive.org/details/fhg2009-03-26.cm1k.flac24

Nak CM1000 Omnis (NOSish) > Oade Concert 661
at stage lip, ~3ft high

Offline GDfan

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2009, 10:36:46 PM »
Fareed from the other night:
http://www.archive.org/details/fhg2009-03-26.cm1k.flac24

Nak CM1000 Omnis (NOSish) > Oade Concert 661
at stage lip, ~3ft high

sounds real nice =D
Neumann SKM184 / AKG 568EB > Sound Devices MixPre3
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/CLaPorte

Offline Goldy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2009, 10:45:54 AM »
Here is an update on the post I made a few weeks ago about my unit that had stopped recording several times my first time out in the field. I think it was more of an SD card issue than a power issue. I had been using a Pny Optima 8 gig class 4 SDHC card and standard Duracell batteries.

I have since switched to a Sandisc Extreme III 8 gig class 6 SDHC card and my problems seem like their totally resolved. Last night I recorded for 5 hours with no problems (was using Energizer E2 Lithiums) and was still showing 3 bars of power when I turned the unit off.

Rich

Schoeps CMC6/MK4 > Oade Concert  Marantz PMD661

Offline audBall

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »
I have since switched to a Sandisc Extreme III 8 gig class 6 SDHC card and my problems seem like their totally resolved.

I placed an order for this ^ card yesterday.  I'm glad to hear your issues have ceased since you made the switch.  I've been having weird issues with Kingston SDHC cards lately and I'm no longer comfortable with them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com