Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661  (Read 135618 times)

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
Re: PT: 2 - New Marantz PMD661
« Reply #90 on: May 01, 2009, 01:31:58 PM »
^ Cool.  Thanks for the info.
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline bephillips

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Recording with the internal mics.
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2009, 09:33:14 PM »
I had a chance to record Mingus Amungus at Yoshi's in San Francisco last week openly, so I thought I'd use that as an opportunity to check out the internal mics. I like them better than my little Oade binaural mics. Now to get some real mics.

I've posted 16 and 24 bit versions. No EQ has been applied.

Mingus Amungus - Yoshi's, San Francisco, CA - April 29, 2009 late show - 24/48 version:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=248000

16/44.1 version:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=247994
Schoeps MSTC-64 (ORTF) > Marantz PMD-661(Oade Concert Mod)
http://db.etree.org/bephillips

Offline Goldy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2009, 11:12:09 PM »
Anyone know anything about the new Firmware Update that is posted on the Marantz site?
Just wondering if anyone has done the update.....

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=4405&Tab=FAQ
Schoeps CMC6/MK4 > Oade Concert  Marantz PMD661

Offline audBall

« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2009, 07:42:52 AM »
Thanks for the notice, Goldy.  I wasn't aware of the update.  I wish they stated just what the firmware update included. 

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #94 on: May 08, 2009, 09:10:53 AM »
I also hadn't noticed the firmware update.
I downloaded the .zip file, hoping that there would be a text file or PDF or something with the info that AudBall is looking for (exactly what changes the firmware includes...  issues resolved, bugs fixed, enhanced features, etc, etc)  But it doesn't look like any of that info is included in the .zip file either.  I just sent an email to their tech support, and I'll post back with any info that I can get.

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #95 on: May 08, 2009, 11:52:45 AM »
Just got this info in regards to firmware version A1.14

The PMD661 update improves card compatability and resolves minor bug issues listed below.  We recommend that you update your machine.

1.      When powering off by sliding POWER while the door open the folder ‘MPGLANG1’ might be created.
2.      Processing cannot be canceled even if the STOP is pressed during the ‘Executing’ displayed.
3.      In the status of Low Battery (battery symbol flashing) the flash timing of the record symbol is not correct in Record Pause mode.
4.      Available to set the time of Timer Rec and Playback even the both times are in conflict or incompatible.
5.      A sound break might be occurred when the multiple files made by Manual Track will be played back continuously.
6.      “Err D.IN” will be displayed for an instant when you did record via Digital IN.
7.      In Seek(-) mode (audible search) a sound for a second might be repeated when it plays back in cross over a file.
8.      At the setting menu for Timer Rec/Play the message “Store?” might be displayed even any editing is not done.
9.      Not available to divide a file that has been set into the Timer Playback and “PlayReserved” will be displayed.
10.  At the file renaming when you press the ENTER with no change, the display says “AlreadyExists” and does not move to anywhere.
11.  A noise like ‘White Noise’ will be heard via speaker in Stop, Play Pause and Play Stop modes.
12.  Make the unit in Rec Pause mode and a minute later, adjust the Rec Level then start recording, the message changes “Err Card 9” to “Err Card 10”
13.  The display says “Err Card 1” and no operation is available when a 4GB Kingston card is used for.

Offline audBall

« Reply #96 on: May 08, 2009, 01:20:08 PM »
13.  The display says “Err Card 1” and no operation is available when a 4GB Kingston card is used for.

^ Interesting.  I wonder if this fixes the bugs with the Kingston cards I had. 

I still have one Kingston SDHC 8gig (that appeared to be from a different production run that my other two I had) that has NEVER produced an error in the 661.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #97 on: May 08, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »
Exercise caution when updating the firmware!  Some people had troubles updating the PMD620 firmware, resulting in a "bricked" recorder.  Although the PMD661 and 620 are (obviously) different machines, I wouldn't be surprised if this problem can occur in the 661 too.  Both run very similar firmware and have the same update procedure. 

But what really caught my eye is that the nearly identical firmware update instructions both end with the exact same warning:  "Please DO NOT touch and DO NOT disconnect power while the unit is being updated. Before you update the unit, make sure that the power cable is firmly plugged into the PMD661 [620] and into an AC outlet. If the power is turned off accidentally while the unit is being updated, the PMD661 [620] may not start up."

I was advised to use a surge protector, and not touch the recorder, power supply or cable until the upgrade was complete...

Offline audBall

« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2009, 06:09:10 PM »
Yeah, Aaron, I suggest leaving the room while it is updating firmware.  Don't even look at the thing.   ;)

I read about some issues people had with 7xx's during firmware updates (cables getting pulled while updating, power shutting off, etc..) that rendered their units unable to power up and having to be sent back to SD.  Actually, wasn't that you, Jason?  Have you completed your 661 update yet?

I may hold off for just a bit to update mine as everything seems to be working fine for now. 

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2009, 06:33:05 PM »
Yeah, Aaron, I suggest leaving the room while it is updating firmware.  Don't even look at the thing.   ;)

I read about some issues people had with 7xx's during firmware updates (cables getting pulled while updating, power shutting off, etc..) that rendered their units unable to power up and having to be sent back to SD.  Actually, wasn't that you, Jason?  Have you completed your 661 update yet?

I may hold off for just a bit to update mine as everything seems to be working fine for now. 

yes, that was me, with a borrowed 722.  I stood up to walk away while the deck's firmware was being updated, and my foot caught the power cord and yanked it out.  It was dead, and had to be sent back to Sound Devices.  Luckily for me, Simon (sycue) was very understanding, and all I had to do was pay for shipping, and SD got the deck going again for free.

based on that experience, I've been very careful with all other firmware updates on all decks since then :)

I haven't yet done this PMD-661 firmware update yet.  I'm still debating in my head whether or not to do it this weekend, and maybe I'll put it off until after next Wednesday, which is the next show I'm recording.

Offline audBall

« Reply #100 on: May 08, 2009, 06:44:36 PM »
ouch....didn't mean to call you out like that.  I hope I didn't resurrect any firmware nightmares.   :)  I can only imagine how you felt with someone else's deck in your hands.  Glad everything worked out in the end.   

As for the update, I might play around with my remaining Kingston and see if I can replicate one of my past card errors.  If I can, I'll do the update.  Otherwise, I'll hold off for a bit. 

Offline JasonSobel

• My show list
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2009, 08:04:31 PM »
I decided to go for it.  The firmware update only took a minute or two.  Quick, easy, and smooth.
I'm transferring a DAT now (S/PDIF input, 16/48)...  it's about an hour into it and no problems.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #102 on: May 09, 2009, 09:24:32 AM »

Thanks for the upadate news - I hope to order my oade concert mod next week - hopefully the Kingston sdhc issues have been resolved - I'd love to be able to use the cards that I already own...

;)
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline DATPAT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Recovering Gear Slut
    • Mobiltracks-Mobile A/V Recording
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2009, 12:38:45 PM »
Hey guys,
I bought a Oade MOd 661 back in February and I love it but I have had a few issues. Obviously I have had the issues with the Kingston Card as I have seen others have but I have also had issues my recording level settings. At first I had to tweak the balance to get even record levels for both channel. Later I had ok balance but in the middle of a show all of a sudden one channel would become dramatically lower and I would again have to tweak the balance. Has anyone had any of these issues? I Contacted Oade early on and asked if it could be due to the Modification and he was adamant that he checks each deck before sending it to the customer and that it could be the mics I was using. At I have used AT 853's, AKG 414's and Oktava Mk12 with the deck. The latest issue with the record level going wacko later in the show I was using the 414's. I wonder if it is because they are drawing more current than the smaller Diaphragm mic's. Anyone have similar issues. My suspicion is that once the battery level starts to drop I am getting the inconsistent balance issues. I have had issues in the past and have managed to fix it by simply resetting the phantom power. Any Idea's, Has anyone had these issues with the stock units?
Mic's(pairs) AKG (414's, 391's, Se-10's, )AT 853's, 4050's,BEYER MC 740,Gefell m300's, NEUMANN U89  i's, SKM-140 Set , TLM 170's, 102's, OKTAVA Mk-012 set,319's, SENNHEISER MKH-8050's, Sanken CMS-10, SOUNDFIELD SPS200,ST-250.PROJECTS LSD-2, & C1's,TELFUNKEN Ela 260 Field Set (H,C,O), Copper heads
Decks: Tascam Dr100Mk2,DR-680, HS-P82, Zoom F-8,Fostex LR-16, Mackie SDR 2496
Pre's- Onyx Satallite,  Niaint Littlebox W/OT, Apogee AD -1000, Mini -Me, CoopePSA1
 Video: JVC GV-LS2WE, panasonic FZ-1000
Playback: B& K and Adcom Power Amps and Martin Logan Electrostatic's and Tannoy nearfields
http://www.mobiltracks.net

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2009, 11:05:05 AM »
Hey guys,
I bought a Oade MOd 661 back in February and I love it but I have had a few issues. Obviously I have had the issues with the Kingston Card as I have seen others have but I have also had issues my recording level settings. At first I had to tweak the balance to get even record levels for both channel. Later I had ok balance but in the middle of a show all of a sudden one channel would become dramatically lower and I would again have to tweak the balance. Has anyone had any of these issues? I Contacted Oade early on and asked if it could be due to the Modification and he was adamant that he checks each deck before sending it to the customer and that it could be the mics I was using. At I have used AT 853's, AKG 414's and Oktava Mk12 with the deck. The latest issue with the record level going wacko later in the show I was using the 414's. I wonder if it is because they are drawing more current than the smaller Diaphragm mic's. Anyone have similar issues. My suspicion is that once the battery level starts to drop I am getting the inconsistent balance issues. I have had issues in the past and have managed to fix it by simply resetting the phantom power. Any Idea's, Has anyone had these issues with the stock units?

How big a difference was the adjustment between the left versus right knobs to get a good balance when you had the level dropping issue?

You should try a couple of tests at home:

1. Try to replicate what happened with everything setup the same way, and just let it record off your stereo speakers for 2-3 hours and see what you get.

2. Replicate the test again, but this time use the AC power plug for the 661.

3. Try testing it XLR line in too, as that can let you know if it's likely a deck issue or something else. Doug upgrades the XLRs, with better input capacitors and op amps for both line in and mic in. Since signals pass through the same circuits, line or mic, you can determine if the deck is the problem, or the mics.

AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com